Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Even funnier, another state agency, the California Energy Commission, has given state grants to Zero to help them develop and build zero emissions vehicles. Shame no one at that agency thought to pop on over to the DMV main office to let them know.
    Todd157k likes this.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Department of Incompetent Caesarism
    or is it
    Department of Inefficient Cretins

either way.. they're still D.I.C.s

anyone need a slightly used soap box?
  3. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW ,, switching out the halogens on my 2013 Honda Fit EV, to LED bought me back about ~3 miles range round trip on my 24 mile commute. The light is also much whiter which is nice in town. Helps grab the pedestrians attention.
    RedRocket likes this.
  4. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't they put LEDs in them stock?
    Hittman likes this.
  5. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My best guess it that to be able to sell a "manufactured bike" the lights have to fulfill certain legal requirements regarding beam spread pattern and glare. It is much faster and cheaper to adapt known and proven Halogen light design than to spend time and money to reinvent a light system for low volume production. LED "bulbs" in halogen "light buckets" rarely fulfill legal requirements.
  6. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    OMG... these things are so temperamental (j/k).. The only wiz bang thing on there, ABS, and the only thing that doesn't work on my bike. :lol2
    Dealer working with Zero to get it sorted though. Dealer said I may need a new "mother board". Oh jolly. Nice of Zero to put forth some interest and effort to keep their customers happy. Even a second gen customer! Still waiting on the outcome.. and if it's going to be covered.

More than the LED lighting, I'm wondering why they don't include things like:
    Cruise control (software fix and a 2 button addition to the bars)
    Traction control (software fix)
    Self canceling turn signals (maybe just blink 4 or 5 times while the bike is moving.. continuous if the bike is stopped.. kinda like a goldwing)
  7. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See this option handy exclusively in touring through deserts canyons long stretches etc. which none of the current EVs is targeting. Just can't think why it can ever be called for in any city-suburb traffic. Or is it just one of those customer whims?
  8. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I commute 35 mi each way and mostly in a diamond lane. I'm on CC most of the way on my BMW. Ya, it would be nice to have since it's such an easy thing to add to the electric throttle. Also, if you've ever ridden the fwy for a while on one of these, it's very deceiving how fast you're going. You don't have the "other" sensory inputs gauging your speed.. like exhaust noise or vibrations.
    LewisNClark and RedRocket like this.
  9. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    Cruise control is an absolute must in a speed camera infested environment (where I live), to prevent you from accidentally going that slightly too fast, and getting a ticket. Intentionally going too fast on the other hand :p3rry.
    ridenm likes this.
  10. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mean in traffic it's difficult to ride with CC when other drivers don't use it.
  11. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need a few buttons with preset speed limiters like F1 that can be overrode in an emergency with full throttle.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    I evaluated a DS model a while ago. I must admit, there was a certain "dis-connectedness" to the bike as a few other motor skills aren't needed. I'm talking clutching/shifting. But, your right, those that depend on engine sound change to regulate their speed are going to have to re-learn this.
  13. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started looking closer and closer at Zero, then the one dealership in Milwaukee who also Carrie's BMW and Triumph stopped selling them and now the closest is 90 miles...in the heart of Chicago...not the easiest to get to. The little I did talk to the salesmen at the Milwaukee dealership said they were a bit of a nightmare. Maybe buyer expectations were too much??? This EM thing is in its infancy, hopefully the teething and growing pains get sorted sooner rather than later, I really want one of these bikes. Having an established, local dealer is paramount to me.
  14. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you can set the top speed on Zero motorcycles. Won't go above whatever number you pick.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  15. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    What kinds of nightmares?
  16. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was rushed and didn’t pry, he didn’t look like he wanted to elaborate, but I will get more info from the other salesman who I am more buds with.
  17. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I've read that earlier models had some growing pains, but the newer ones are more hashed out.
  18. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    I was not aware of that, I know ECO mode has lower max speed, but I did not know it was adjustable. How do you set it to 55 MPH (for example) max speed? Can it be done "on the run"? I cannot find it in the manual.
  19. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    You put the Zero Motorcycle app on your smartphone, connect it via bluetooth and then you can set the following parameters in custom mode:

[​IMG]

Looks like 60 mph is the minimum though.
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.
  20. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    So it is not really "on the run", like you would adjust a cruise control, when you get in an area with lower speed limit. But it's still cool, and shows that it is really just a very small project to write Cruise control into the control unit.