Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, you set it ahead of time in your custom mode, then move from Eco or Sport to Custom and now you have a top speed of 60.

Just depends how you want to use your custom mode.

Or you could pull over for 30 seconds and make the change as well.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    but you still have to hold the throttle... and you can't pass anyone with any vigor cuz you've limited yourself to 60 mph. It's like riding a vespa on the fwy. Noooo thanks.
    Davethestick likes this.
  3. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    The guy originally asked about options for not speeding. This is an option for that.

I'm not going to do it, but its an option. Unless its raining, I want all the juice all the time.
  4. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I was "the guy" and brought up the request/suggestion to have cruise control. One of the reasons i stated was the influx of speed while riding because of the lack of sensory input (exhaust noise, vibrations, etc).
    Just a convenience that would be soooo easy to do in software for these bikes.
  5. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The aim is to make sure to avoid speeding tickets in certain areas. Passing with vigor because you momentarily forgot the limit can be expensive. When you have to pay over 100 dollars for being 2 miles over the speed limit, it hurts.
  6. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, that doesnt seem legal, most speedometers are off by 5-10%. I couldn't imagine getting pulled over unless I was going 5+ over.
  7. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    It's speed cameras, not being pulled over. They don't care who was driving, the owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying the fine (plust collection costs :(). Speedometers are almost always off downwards, but the system is that you get reduction of your speed of 3 kph (1.8 mph) for speedometer and radar inaccuracies. The last picture I got in the mail had a picture of my bike doing 84 kph in 80 kph zone, so it was 84-3=81, which is 1 kph (0.62 mph) over the limit, which cost me 101 dollar, plus 10 dollars cost of collecting the fine.
    It's just a tax for the unwary. There is a speed camera in Hilversum, close to where I live, that had income of over 7 million dollars in 2015. And Tesla is the number one brand who is getting fined. :-)

Anyway. I went to the Utrecht motorcycle show today and looked at the Zeros (among others). The guy at the stand, who did not like my comments about the looks and lack of fairings, said that as far as he was aware of Cruise Control was not expected soon.
    Todd157k likes this.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    I am not surprised. In an instant, I am suddenly and unintentionally going over the speed limit by a lot in my Tesla. How much easier is it to do on a fast electric motorcycle?!

I applaud the speed resricted mode as some of us have difficulty controlling our top end speed. To help, I use a OBD plug in device that audibly warns me when I exceed a selectable speed (set to 70, 5mph over the max freeway speed in SoCal) Since it is limited to a fixed speed that must be changed manually through the app, I also use the waze app to audibly warn me when I exceed the speed based on the speed limit (also set to 5mph over the posted limit). In addition, I also use an app called Radar Alerts running on the 17” screen’s web browser.

Knock on wood, I have yet to receive a single ticket in this state, riding or driving, though, I received several when living in Arizona, half of which were from stupid speed cameras. I hate those things. You get a notice in the mail with a picture of you committing the infraction, and one of them was for a 39 in a 35. I went to court to contest that it was within a 5mph margin of error and was told by the judge to pay the full fine. I learned there was no point contesting a speed camera.. at least not in Tucson at that time. Speed cameras are one of the things I don’t miss at all about living in that state. Tucson and Phoenix had them everywhere. I even bought a GPS radar detector that would show/warn me if I was exceeding the posted limit, but by time it would warn me it was too late as the cameras are at or on the signs themselves, reading your speed before you even pass the sign, often not giving you time to slow. It forced me to constantly scan ahead for speed changes and adjust my speed before I would pass the speed limit sign. I imagine I pissed off some drivers behind me as I would slow to the limit a couple hundred feet before the sign as to not take any chances.

I was single, riding a 600RR and a supercharged Mustang Cobra at the time with 2 tickets that stuck in less than 3 years, with my option of traffic school already used up. On my 3rd violation, I chose to pay a lawyer to help keep the points off my record, but he ended up costing more than the ticket and I got the points anyways but at least paid a reduced fine. In less than 3 years, my insurance got so high, I sold the bike and the car and switched to a slow ass Honda Civic for a while. (Which I still somehow managed to get a ticket in a couple years later .. you guessed it.. another speed camera posted just outside my neighborhood. Did I mention I hate those things?

I’m in my late 40’s now and this was when I was in my mid 20’s, too dumb to realize no matter what I did to try and avoid tickets, it was inevitably going to happen when a young heavy foot/wrist is combined with a fast car/bike with speed cameras (and stealthy police) around. Long rant.. I know. The subject of speed camera tickets is like PTSD for me lol

Perhaps one advantage of an electric vehicle is that you might be able to speed past an officer without them noticing due to the lack of noise, though, I’m not rolling the dice on that one. I’m enjoying what I pay for insurance at the moment.
    more koolaid likes this.
  9. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    ya baby! Heated Grips and cruise control (well, throttle lock anyway).

Sure glad it was raining today. Nice day to play in the garage.

Attached Files:

10. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs Supporter

Oddometer:

Every bike I've ever owned has had a speedometer that showed it was going faster than reality. I think they do that for just that reason.
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I ride with a GPS going and it always shows my speedometers about 1 mph high.

When we went from street tires to knobbies on my daughter's bike, it changed liked 6 mph, I forget which direction though.
  12. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Had to upgrade the helmet for the Zero. My Arai was a bit noisy on the fwy, even with the windscreen. I found a Schuberth on sale (supposedly the quietest helmet on the market). It is nice, fits well, and calms down the wind noise however it does not eliminate it. I installed the Sena 10U that is custom made for this helmet. Grand PITA. The video shows it being soooo easy. Ya, it's not. The buttons that Schuberth uses to hold in the liners are not long enough to add the Sena 'loop rings' and still snap shut. w/e. Job done but I won't be washing the liner as often.
    I added some graphics.. which I don't think I've EVER done before. But these have a "2 fold" meaning for me. First is the obvious.. circuit board brains for an e-bike rider and secondly, because I design printed circuit boards! hahaha.

20190216_135556.jpg
    mtwillyman likes this.
  13. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I got to ride the new SR/F recently. That thing is crazy quick, at least compared to the bikes I've ridden.

But like every other electric bike, I wish it went further.
  14. Madrodo

Madrodo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cant wait for the new Lightning. But I'm 99,9% sure those alleged "150 miles of range" will include LOT of "mixed driving/city" miles. Not even at a steady 55mph.
  15. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Electric bikes will be wonderful to tour on once the tech is developed for fast charging. My SR supposedly will go just over 200 on a charge, but that's "mixed" driving. About 100 miles a highway speeds. That would be fine by me IF I could charge in 5-10 minutes. As it is it's a wonderful local canyon carver and I'm very happy with it. The new SR/F with the three 3KW onboard charges will go from 0-95% in about an hour; still too long to tour practically. It's early days still; the bikes, cars, batteries and chargers will all get better... soon hopefully. Tesla just announced that it's new chargers will cut charging time in half and Swiss company ABB has launched its Terra High Power DC fast charger, which can put out an impressive 350 kilowatts, but the vehicle has to be designed for that kind of input of course.
  16. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Piëch claims its new electric sports car, the Mark Zero, charges to 80% in a crazy 4:40 minutes. This isn't like a Nissan Leaf either; 450 kW or about 600 hp. I don't believe the claim has be verified but if it's even twice as long as claimed it's quite remarkable. 10 minutes for about another 250 miles of range would be totally acceptable to me! They're claiming 311 miles on a full charge.
  17. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy if it would charge in an hour or so. After 100 or 150 miles, I'm ready for a lunch and.. ah.. beverage. That hour would be well used.
    more koolaid and T.S.Zarathustra like this.
  18. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Mine has the "charge tank" and will charge in an hour or two depending if you just need to from 10% to 85% or if you need to go from 0% to 100% which would be a rare circumstance in my experience. An hour or so of canyon carving is about all I'm good for with my aging back and arthritic wrists anyway. I can ride the Wee pretty much all day, but that's a totally different riding position.
    Todd157k likes this.
  19. T.S.Zarathustra

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a list of the meaning of the letters and numbers in the Zero model names? With English not being my native language, and increased number of models, I have gotten thoroughly confused about the letters. SR/F? S? SR? DS? DSR? FX? FXS? ZF? I cannot at a quick glance visualise what type model each naming convention stands for.
    The numbers are slightly more understandable. 3.6? 7.2? 11? 14.4? 18.0? 75-5? 75-10? The numbers with a point in it are battery sizes in KWh, with a dash in it are motor sizes (how much power each motor size is is still a question). That 11, (as in "Zero S ZF7.2 11KW") seems to be software limitation of the motor power.
  20. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    My guesses:

S is Street
    DS is Dual Sport
    The R means Race
    FX is ??
    The S in FXS is SuperMoto
    SR/F is StreetFighter
    T.S.Zarathustra likes this.