Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Madrodo

Madrodo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish they had just gone without the slash, a plain and simple "SRF" would have been much cooler. Although it would remind me of SFR Santaferider :-(
  2. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jarrett.
    R does seem to stand for more power so Race is logical (even if no streetbike ever sees sanctioned Racing in its standard form).
    F might be for Force, Zero has registered "Z-Force" as trademark. X might stand for offroad, like in 4X4. So FXS could be Force (4X4) SuperMoto. That sounds convoluted, I'm sure there is a better explanation.
    ZF could be Zero-Force.

Motors (I believe the motors Zero uses come from Motenergy).
    75-5? is 78 lb-ft of torque, 27 hp (20 kW) @ 4,300 rpm, this one is apparently same motor as the below, but limited by the controller capacity.
    75-5? is 78 ft-lb (106 Nm), 46 hp (34 kW) @ 4,300 rpm
    75-7? is 81 ft-lb (110 Nm), 60 hp (45 kW) @ 5,300 rpm
    75-? is 116 ft-lb (157 Nm), 70 hp (52 kW) @ 3,500 rpm
    75-10 is 140 ft-lb of torque, 110 hp (82 kW) @ 5,000 rpm
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone follows the Zero page on FB but I posted up there my new project. I ride my DSR daily commuting. Wind is a pain. I've tried a couple windscreens but they just aren't enough (without going to huge extremes which can be a bit ugly). I'm going to try and get an old Vetter QuickSilver to fit on there. Once I posted this up on FB, Craig Vetter's son Morgan jumped on the conversation. He's going to help me out with some measurements etc. Here is my quicky photochop of the idea. Work begins in a week or two when I get the fairing.
    ZeroWith Fairing.jpg
  4. WagonWillie

WagonWillie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like this idea; keep us posted. I've always been curious why Zero hasn't offered a factory fairing as I assume that it would help a bit with range as well as providing wind and weather protection.
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it would help a lot. Aero is even more important with Ebikes
  6. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Yes, my mileage went up a little bit when I added a windscreen. I'm hoping for the same here but mostly, cut the dang wind noise. I'd better do a nice job.. Morgan said he was going to tell his dad about my project. No stress there.. I mean, isn't it every day you have Craig Vetter looking over your shoulder while you work??? :photog
    more koolaid likes this.
  7. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wind protection and low drag are two very different requirements.

Several lifetimes ago (OK, in the '70s) I sold motorcycle accessories, including Vetter fairings. As I recall, the QuickSilver was not out yet, but it's really just a smaller version of a Windjammer. The Windjammer was one of the most popular fairings we sold, but I had some customers complain about buffeting the passenger. It seems the angles of attack of the Windjammer surfaces were blunt enough to the wind flow that air would move out as much as back. It created a nice dead air space behind the shield, but then it would collapse in a bunch of turbulence just behind the rider. That's not what you want for low drag.

There was another brand at the time (Daytona maybe?) that was far more bullet shaped, like a bigger version of a racing fairing. It gave just as quiet a dead space for the rider, but also made it calm for the passenger. And people who switched told me they got better mileage.

And even the racing fairings of the day weren't that great aerodynamically. One time at Daytona I was near the track as the TZ750s were coming around. These were unmuffled, but as they approached from a distance you could hear the wind roar off the bikes before you could hear the shriek of the engines.

So if range is an issue, do yourself (and all those interested) a favor and take accurate measurements of your power usage on your commute while being as consistent as possible, for maybe a month. Then compare that to the same conditions for a month with the fairing installed.

Better yet, I have a phone app that allows me to watch all sorts of real-time data from the CANbus in my electric car, so I can read power at speed. Is there something similar for your Zero?
  8. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Not that accurate (that I know of). We have a small bar graph. But since I've been commuting on my Zero for a couple months now, I have a real good idea of power usage. The wind was the biggest factor. I used 12-15% more power getting to work with just a cross wind. The rain also made it drop just a bit. About 5% more usage.
    I'm not really going for top mileage here since I have 20-22% excess power when I get to work, and 35% extra when I get home. (elevation change between Valencia, CA to Simi Valley, CA.). I'm going for "less" wind noise at speed and a cool looking Zero! It may not appeal to everyone else, but I grew up in the 70's/80's so to me, they look gooooood. (or like we used to say "bitchen")
  9. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
  10. Todd157k

Oddometer:
  11. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    more koolaid likes this.
  12. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Well Craig Vetter already made a fairing for the Zero for the express purpose of reducing drag.
    Terry-Hershner-Zero-Motorcycle-Fairing.jpg
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  13. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    wouldn't that look cool in my parking lot at work? :imaposer
  14. WagonWillie

Oddometer:
    Not too sure that would look cool anywhere....
  15. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, this one looks like it might be worth $1,300.
    more koolaid likes this.
  16. Teckel

Teckel Seriously?

Oddometer:
    How would someone with a join date of March 2019 and living in Holland even know who SFR was?

Whose fake n00b are you?
    Treedguy likes this.
  17. endurocalypse

endurocalypse n00b

Oddometer:
    My first Zero was a used 2015 FX. Updated to a 2018 FX last year and I use it as much as I can. Absolutely love the torque and smoothness when cornering through the Swiss mountain roads :)

IMG_20180923_163750.jpg
  18. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi from Genf !

I'm waiting for mine (FX too) to be delivered, probably at the end of april.
    As I also plan to have fun in the mountain roads, can you tell me how many kilometers would be wise to expect in such conditions ??

Thank's !
  19. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's a realistic maximum highway range for these bikes?
  20. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 2019 Zero FX (which is NOT suited for the highway) I suspect it would make it about 20-25 miles at 70 mph on the highway.

Off the highway, I'm getting 45-60 miles.