Zero Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by T.S.Zarathustra, Jun 27, 2018.

1. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 FX. My dads house is about 7 miles highway and 5 miles off, i use about ~25% round trip doing 70-80. I bet I could get close to 40 miles from 100-0. The 14.4 bikes will be about double, so 80ish miles highway (numbers say 90, thats prob more like it). I've found the zero published numbers are pretty accurate.
  2. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been tracking mine pretty closely. I ride almost every ride from 100-0% on my 2019 FX because its a recreational toy for me, not a commuter as most use it.

If I stay off the highway and ride like a hooligan, then 45 miles is all I can get before its completely out of charge.

If I stay off the highway and ride extremely conservatively averaging about 30 mph, then I can get 60 miles before it stops running.

Something else to note, unlike with gas bikes, the power wains with the battery charge. From 100-50% charge, I have enough power to lift the front wheel off the ground and hit 85 mph. Basically full power.

From about 30-50%, I still have good acceleration, but my top speed is limited to 70 mph.

Below 30%, the acceleration gets really soft and top speed slowly declines as the battery decreases. Around 60 mph, then dropping.

Once you get below the 10% range, it will only go about 35-45 mph tops and that glorious accel is pretty much gone.

You can ride around at 0% for a few short miles, then it will die just like running out of gas.

Also, the FX will overheat if you hold it WOT throttle for a minute or two. It will kick into overheat mode (by design) and throttle the power down to 70mph max until the battery can cool down, then you get whatever power back that your charge will support as shown above.

Again, the FX is not like the other Zero models in that it was not built to be going fast for long periods on the highway. I'm not sure if all of these things hold true on the S/DS/SR/DSR/SRF models or not, but I assume they function somewhat similarly. I've gone highway speeds on a DS and SRF and never saw any signs of overheating on them.

In cold weather, the battery depletes much quicker. In warm weather, it lasts longer.

These are all things to consider when thinking about going electric.
    Twinboy and Retumbo7 like this.
  3. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Those are the negatives above. The positives are:

Bike is "full" every time you leave your house
    You only have to stop at as gas station if you want to buy a snack
    No 600 mile oil change on new bike
    No oil change ever
    No valve clearance checks
    It's virtually silent to ride
    You can hooligan any time day or night will literally bother no one as there is no noise
    Instant torque (this one is what made me by the bike)
    No heat from the engine
    Does not cook your legs in the summer
    Never burn yourself or other things on the exhaust
    No vibrations from the engine
    Instant torque (deserves being mentioned twice, its really impressive)
    Really high torque to weight ratio
    Very nice and low center of gravity
    No shifting gears
    No worrying if you are in the right gear coming into a corner
    No worrying if you are in the right gear coming out of a corner
    No worrying if you are in first gear at the red light
    No cramping left hand in traffic
    Never stalls
    No missed shifts
    No clunks/loss of power where shift points would occur
    Zero emissions
    More maneuverable than gas bikes in a parking lot
    Low speed maneuvers are considerably easier

I'm sure I could think of more, but that's a good list so far.

Once these things get to the 300 mile or so range per charge OR get to the point that you can "fill up" on the ride like a gas bike, I'm done with gasoline.
  4. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Mass Centralized

Oddometer:
    Is that with the big or small battery?
  5. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    7.2 battery
    longslowdistance likes this.
  6. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I got mine out a couple of days ago when it was 70f out, and was still able to loft the tire in the air at 9%. It still has get up and go, but it definitely wont sustain it. at 10%, if you punch it at 10mph it will really go for 2 or 3 seconds and cuts back, but if your at 45 - 50, theres not much there. Temperature is a really big factor when your less than 30% too.

I just past my 1000 mile mark, and Jarrett has a pretty good list going. To re-itterate, some things that werent apparent during my test ride that now are after a few months of ownership:
    - It is stupid easy to haul major ass off the line.. so I do this wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than any other gas bike I have. My arms have gotten tired a couple of times holding on if i'm doing this a lot during the day.. but its addicting.
    - I love shifting, but on the FX, its very noticable how much more concentration I can apply to a steady throttle, braking and picking my line when I dont have to shift. Its really nice. Its also easy to enjoy the ride being so smooth.
    - Speaking of smooth, these things are like cadillac smooth with the lack of vibrations.
    - Having a full tank every morning is nicer than I thought.
    - When its really cold outside, its nice not having to start the bike and warm it up, and its really nice to not having to reach for the clutch with frozen hands.
    - I work in an office, and my clothes don't smell like fuel / exhaust.
    - You can go HAM on a cold motor, right out of the gate.

There are a few more but those things stuck out to me.
    folmonty and Krono like this.
  7. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That won't change so much from the KTM350 Freeride I currently ride ...
  8. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine today :)

[​IMG]
    Todd157k likes this.
  9. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Did you just get one?

Looks just like mine minus the handguards and rear rack.
  10. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, 2 days ago ... 160km so far (2 charges)
    Last charge left 33% for 83km ... which theorically gives more than 120km / charge (w/spirited riding)
  11. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I'm not getting that much. If I ride for max fun, I get about 45 miles. If I ride really conservatively, I get about 60 miles.

That might increase a bit as the temp increases in summer.

Hope you really enjoy the bike, most that buy them seem to really love them.
  12. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode an SR the other day, not sure where they come up with the 106 torque spec but seem inflated to me. Maybe someday when they get lighter and faster, but didn't grab me like I thought it would.

LOVE the sneaky silent acceleration though
  13. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Maybe in Eco mode?
    longslowdistance likes this.
  14. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something was wrong. They have brutal acceleration. I put my DSR somewhere between my Husky 701 (75 hp) and my GTL 1600 (165 hp) in acceleration.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  15. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Today was the day I put my Vetter Quicksilver fairing on! I started ripping it apart last night, got the rest of the mounting done today. Wasn't too bad.. as long as you don't have a problem cutting up the factory plastics. :lol2
    I still have a lot to do. The "S" model front fender is coming next week and I still have to hook up a Nautilus horn. After all that, I think I'm going to paint the bike. The Zero plastics are a little oxidized. The PO stored it outside. errrr.

20190420_141353.jpg 20190420_141326.jpg 20190420_141314.jpg 20190420_141343.jpg
  16. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s a big windshield, does it need to be that tall?
  17. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    I believe it is a "tall" windscreen. Came with the fairing.
  18. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I'll be doing testing next week. I've been keeping close track of my mileage and dB while on ny daily commute (75 mi r/t).
    I aligned the fairing by the headlight position. Any lower and the handlebars would have hit when turning.
    Yes, Nelson Rigg bag. Getting a little old now.. had it for several years on my GTL.
  20. T.S.Zarathustra

T.S.Zarathustra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.