Zero SR/F

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by WDG, Jan 3, 2019.

1. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Got an email announcement this morning from Zero, teasing their new SR/F, apparently to be released February 25.

So far, nothing more than the teaser panel on their site:
    https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Any rumors, speculation, or other news?
    elmontanero and RCmoto like this.
  2. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was posted on the electric motorcycle forum:
    "Much more than a new model, the Zero SR / F is a completely new platform, the Zero SR / F combines state-of-the-art technology with the most powerful powertrain ever produced by Zero Motorcycles," says official spokesman .

If it is truly a completely new platform then I am wondering if Zero finally went to a higher voltage system that will allow for CCS charging. There is also a very big performance gap between what Zero offers and what Energica offers. I am wondering if this will have a performance level that competes with Energica.
    Hittman, Chaostrophy and WDG like this.
  3. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their state-of-the-art technology better have traction control.
    _mtg_, Chaostrophy and WDG like this.
  4. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    When they had the demo day in Fort Worth last year, their rep was talking about traction control being something that would be added fairly soon.

Something about the CEO being against it, but then taking a new model out and nearly wiping out on it, so coming back in agreement with incorporating it. (Details on that story may be off some, as that’s from memory.)

Now, I’m wondering if it was the test mule for this platform he was referring to. Seems like it’d be a relatively simple programming matter, once it has ABS.
    Chaostrophy and RCmoto like this.
  5. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traction control is definitely needed, especially on the SR. I wiped out a few years ago at Deals Gap on my SR and it is truly amazing how violently you can get removed from the bike when that back tire breaks loose.
    voltsxamps and Chaostrophy like this.
  6. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    So their CEO doesn't (or didn't) know jack crap about the product, shocking.
    Traxx, Chaostrophy and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  7. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they come out with something with a fairing (like Energica) I'm in serious trouble. There's a Zero dealer about 3 miles from my house.
  8. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    2nd that on traction control.

2 years ago, rear tire broke loose & lowsided without warning on a Victory (Brammo) Emplulse TT when I applied too much throttle in a corner.

The immediate torque electrics put down have to be respected or it will remind you in an instant.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  9. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks cool. Good to see Zero finally offer TC and cornering ABS.

But this Zero owner would rather see them release a more capable high miles touring bike rather than this super fast but limited range model.
    Traxx and Chaostrophy like this.
  10. quickstang87

quickstang87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know something we don't? You seem pretty sure of yourself on the specs.

I am hoping for traction control, cruise control, ABS, and a 250 mile combined city/highway range. All for about $22K or less. Also, DC fast charging using current standards.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  11. CheesyRider

CheesyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This article has a few more details on the upcoming Zero SR/F: https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/zero-sr-f-electric-sport-bike-leak/

One thing I found interesting is that the article states that Zero only sold 750 motorcycles in 2018. That can't possibly be correct. When googling, all I saw was Zero is "the best selling electric motorcycle", but nothing with actual numbers.
    WDG likes this.
  12. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:
    Zero SR/F is entered in the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb coming up on June 30th!

upload_2019-1-18_9-44-9.png
  13. semper-guzzi

semper-guzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm truly excited for zero and all the new EMs coming out. I rode a 2016? Zero DSR and almost pulled the trigger. Wouldn't work for my 95mi commute every day. Mostly freeway at speeds around 80mph. Soon tho, very soon. I'm tired of filling up every day. Even if it is cheap. Waiting for the perfect 12-13k EM with a solid 150mi freeway range that'll charge decently fast. The only problem is, they are like phones and computers. You can buy one today, and tomorrow its ancient.
  14. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid it is true. I read some comments from the spanish importer mentioning that Zero sold in total more than 5000 bikes since it was founded.
    Not an impressive number if You ask me and i You consider how many "test bikes" are for sale. They probably count as "sold" since they already have a plate. I still think it's a great company who builds solid bikes, but it's probably very far from being profitable, and that makes me struggle to invest 12-14 k in one of their bikes.
    luca
  15. jimmy650

Oddometer:
  16. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dayum, new models are beginning to arrive so quickly that I'm losing track already. I commented on the article about the new ZERO bike on electrek.co thinking it was the new Lightning Strike we were talking about :photog
  17. jimmy650

Oddometer:
  18. quickstang87

quickstang87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That tease shows a 14.4 battery pack. We were hoping for a larger battery on this model, but maybe not?

Maybe the 14.4 is standard with an optional larger pack?
  19. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New tease also shows a 75-10 motor.. which if we expand the same gap from the 75-5 and the 75-7, it should be over 100hp and 170ft/lb of torque! The cooling fins are running the proper way now, and look thick and shallow which may indicate watercooling.. so even more power! I'm excited to see this come out and test ride one. Also better brakes, and with all the room above the 14.4 battery there could be another pack or a much better charger. IMO it even looks better than the livewire.
  20. mhpr262

mhpr262 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Suzuki Bandit 1250 gives me barely 220 KILOMETERS before I have to refuel ...