Zero SR/F

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by WDG, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless I missed something, it wasn't clear to me what gear the Suzuki was in. Where's the video?
  2. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think the race is at 14:06:

voltsxamps likes this.
  3. ctromley

Oddometer:
    Just as I remembered - they don't say. To me the rpms of the Suzuki sound too high to be in top gear at 40. Hell, it's certainly spinning faster than my 250 at 40. There's also a run at 12:20 where they go from 30 to 80 with the Suzuki starting in 1st gear. The SR/F pulls it. They seem to be comparing the two bikes with the Suzuki having full use of its gears.

If you need power quickly on the road, top-gear roll-on is the figure of merit. If you have to downshift a gear or three, you're too late. If you're at a track day and you're always in the best gear, that's not an issue. Track and street are very different environments and require different tools.

We still need numbers.
    voltsxamps and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  4. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to see how the SR/F does on the track.

I put my 2019 FX into thermal protection mode/reduced performance within 6 laps.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. ctromley

Oddometer:
    A few outlets have reported that during development the SR/F was flogged in Death Valley at temps up to 120 °F to avoid that kind of embarrassment. That's why it has radial fins on the motor and a belly scoop to feed them. That's a tough challenge, but it's different from riding a track day. There are race tracks much closer to Santa Cruz than Death Valley. An afternoon at a track is all you'd need to check that off your list. Let's hope they did, because someone will take one to a track day and report the results. This is where I think the Strike would have an advantage (though I'd be happy to get schooled on that), but so far the Strike seems to remain pretty vaporous.
  6. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:
    Kenyon Kluge, Director of Electrical Engineering at Zero Motorcycles, on his way to his eighth consecutive victory in the Formula Lightning class of AHRMA Road Racing aboard the Zero SR/F. Kenyon raced the same bike Cory West rode at Pikes Peak earlier this year.

Sponsors: Farasis Energy, Pirelli Tires, Zero Motorcycles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1, Todd157k and voltsxamps like this.
  7. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Interesting, an all electric class. I wonder what other electric bikes he's racing against.
  8. ctromley

Oddometer:
    My guess is that only other SR/Fs will be comparable. Nearest competitor likely to be Energica, and those are rather porky. If some brave soul decides to risk his shiny new Livewire as a race bike, and he knows what he's doing, that could be useful in settling the question of whether the SR/F or Livewire is the "better" bike.

Keep in mind this SR/F is the same bike that raced at Pikes Peak, which was prepped by amateurs and is basically stock. It's sponsored by Zero, but is by no stretch of the imagination a 'factory' bike in the normal sense of the word. (Hmmm - I wonder if Joe Club Racer has access to the upgrade parts to make their Energica Ego a MotoE replica?)

In the real world the more important question is, what are Kluge's lap times and how do they compare with leaders in other classes? It's been a looong time since I was club racing. Do they still race multiple classes together? How does the SR/F compare on-track with ICE bikes? For example, when I was wrenching on the Superbike team we did a test session at Willow. There was a TZ 250 team there too. They were running very similar lap times to us, but we were much faster on the straights and they were much faster in the curvy stuff. Where does the SR/F shine, and where not so much?

How does the SR/F compare to ICE bikes, and what displacement does it seem to be equivalent to?
  9. alienbogey

alienbogey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good questions. Another is how many laps can it run?

I've yet to test ride an SR/F but I'm itching to do so. One thing I'd like to know is whether it can do a track day.

In round numbers I can get in 8 laps per session at our 2.5 mile track = 20 miles/session. 8 sessions x 20 miles = 160 miles of hard riding go-fast. BUT, I could brig generator(s) and recharge 40 minutes of every hour.

Would I make it to the end of the last session?

Would I take a big chunk out of battery life by discharging and charging as fast as possible over the course of a day?