Zero X electric motorcycle travels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gillis, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Gillis

Gillis n00b

Oddometer:
    Please post your adventures on your Zero X electric motorcycle.

My very first ride I came up on some wild turkeys. I've ridden it in CA (Hollister Hills), NV, AZ, NM (through 4 native pueblos), CO (12 passes over 10,000 feet) and WY so far and street kitted it and got a full motorcycle license so I can do on and off-road, whatever and wherever.
  2. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Los Barriles, Baja - Colorado - Stuttgart Germany
    Great idea for a thread! Unfortunately, I don't think many people have them yet. For those of you reading and are confused, check out this:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

I think it would be cool to ride or drive anything with a flat torque curve.
    :clap

[​IMG]
  3. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Real world, how far can you go on a charge?? and how long to fully recharge?
  4. Gillis

Gillis n00b

Oddometer:
    It's supposed to be good for 40 miles or two hours at a go, with a maximum 2 hour recharge time for the go, rinse, repeat.

I've gone 35 miles several times with a useable charge still left. I haven't tried any further than 40 miles in one shot. I've done low speed, highly technical back country trails for well over two hours and had a useable charge still left.

The manufacturer says it recharges within two hours if the power pack is depleted to its time to recharge level. In the real world, I've never had it take more than a hour an a half and sometimes it's much quicker, after a short ride. That's on a regular 110 outlet. If you put it on a 220 (clothes dryer type) outlet, that cuts the recharge time in half. I went on a 70 mile trip the other month with one recharge at a cafe. Some racers keep extra power packs at the pit (it's a fast swap out - seconds), so they can go many laps, pit and swap and while running more laps while the first power pack is recharging at the pit for another pit and swap later - ad infinitum.

Think of a Yamaha YZ125 aluminum frame bike with half the weight and a 0-60 time of under 4 seconds good at 65 foot jumps and quiet as a 60mph wind and you get the idea.

I'll try to bring my camera on my outings and get some photos to post so folks get some pictures. I after market light kitted it, so it's got a plate and is fully street legal.
  5. dirtdoggie

dirtdoggie Confused Conflicted User

Oddometer:
    I am definitely using information on this bike with the Forest Service to combat the "Quiet" Recreation Antis during the next round of closure, I mean travel management discussions... That should force them to admit that they aren't attempting to manage noise, they're just banning motorcycles.:norton
  6. obsidian

obsidian Scared of the dark..

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    That ones easy, go drive 9x Ford Taurus SHO, they have a flat torque curve from 2k to 7k and is a joy drive. I love that Yamaha SHO engine. To bad its in a POS body. :lol3