Zeus Helmet review

Discussion in 'Australia' started by twotyred, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried on two sizes recently, a medium and a large. The large was OK, but could end up too loose, where the medium was a firm fit and just a bit tight around my temples.

Has anyone had one long enough to tell me how much the helmets settle in around the head? as I don`t want to get one that will end up too loose or one that will give me a headache.
  2. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    :poser Your heads not tilted at the right angle mate. Are they close to the face or do they sit off.:poser
  3. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    were you riding behind anyone or just in clean air..
  4. Giddy Goanna

Giddy Goanna Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer:
    WB, please explain?

What functional properties does the XD or Hornet DS have that the 2100B doesn't have?

What is the objective of a crossover helmet and how have Zeus missed it?

BTW, I ride enduro terrain in shoei road helmets (yes, in thick dust, I'm a follower, not a born leader). After a long day, my eyes get a little gritty, but the only thing I need for safety is to shield the sun when it's low on the horizon. I currently run tinted visors in full sun, swapping to clear in low light situations.
  5. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    The ability to fit goggles properly...

and why oh why would you be riding "enduro terrain" in a road helmet.. they are hot, dust suckers.. offroad helmets which allow goggles are much cooler (airflow) and usually lighter (well my V3 is) than their equivalent road going couterpart..

If something is to DUAL PURPOSE.. then it must serve 2 purposes.. which in the case of the Zues it doesn't.. the second purpose of the "dual" is offroad use obviously.. or am I missing something..

have a read here... http://www.araiamericas.com/helmet_details.asp?model=XD
  6. Giddy Goanna

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link WB, I'll have a read.

This is why I ride enduro terrain in a roadbike helmet,

I have always ridden off road in a Shoei road helmet, much to the mirth of my riding companions, for the convienience of the visor, also warmer in winter.

Handy for the transport section to the dirt (no trailer queens here:wink: )
    Protection from roost/rocks (I don't want a bloody nose)
    Protection from glare and sunburn (tinted on bright, clear on o'cast)
    Safety (One wipe from your hand and she's clear on the trail)
    Mates using goggles are always getting out their "blow rags" (their term) and wiping goggles clean whenever we stop.

Do you think an XD or Hornet will flow more air than a Zeus?
    They seem pretty similar in design, differing only in price and build quality.

In the meanwhile, I'll have to try this MX + goggles caper, complete with the brown smile and burnt nose at lunch.

I appreciate your insight.:norton
  7. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    ah.. ok.. what bike are you riding to this "enduro terrain" ??
    if I wiped my visor with my gloves while riding offroad.. my visor would be scratched to the shithouse after one ride.. all the mud and dust would detstroy the visor quickly.. I prefer to replace $10 goggle lenses than $60 helmet visors..

They seem pretty similar in design - that is exactly my point - they are designed for fitting goggles in while the Zues is not.. the XD visor is also easily removed and allows normal MX helmet operation..
  8. Rossco

Rossco Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer:
    Mostly clean air, in the dusty bits we rode 700m+ apart depending on how thick the dust was. I'm sure a MX helet would be better in such situations, just not a viable option on the 16,000km trip I did.
  9. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    yep.. totally agree... you cant carry 2 helmets around.. and the "ds" helmet idea is good.. I am not arguing that at all.. what I am saying is that IMO Zues is capitalising on the look of the helmet more so that the function of such a helmet i.e. XD/Hornet etc.etc

but they are cheap $200+
  10. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has settled in very nicely, as I said a few posts back, I normally wear a XL HJC and I was in between a L and XL in the Arai XD. I have a M Zeus. It was tight to begin with but now it fits perfectly.
  11. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    Has the Zeus got more room around the mouth like the dirt helmets looks like they have? That'd be my main motivation, that & the peak. Love wearing my Nolan N40 openface with peak, very comfortable, but a FF might be nice too, with a bit more breathing room. Will have to check them out.
  12. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, plenty of room. IMO
  13. Rossco

Rossco Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer:
    For 250 they are a good deal even if they are not the real deal[​IMG]
  14. Giddy Goanna

Oddometer:
    WB, I ride a KLX250 well beyond it's design brief and suspension limitations, not because I like it, rather to spend my time riding than checking valve clearances and changing oil. (WR250R Super Trail sounds perfect for me)

I haven't found serious deterioration in screen clarity, normally get the life of the helmet out of the two visors. (yes, thick dust & mud)

I would never remove the screen on a dual sport helmet (it sits under the peak nicely when open) except to change from clear to tinted screens.
    Hopefully future screens will come in light sensitive adjusting versions like some goggle lenses currently do. Goggles fitting in the apeture of a DS helmet would not concern me although it would to people used to riding with MX & goggles.
  15. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I currently own a KBC road helmet and a HJC offroad and have just purchased a Zeuss Dualsport helmet . The Zeuss i found to be as quiet if not quieter than the KBC and by far quieter than the HJC which i find just a joke in that respect, quality of the Helmet seems on par with other helmets i have owned which inclued Arai, Shoei, Shark, AGV, Bell etc. in reality it will take some time to see how it holds up as i found the Shark an extremely comfortable helmet but i started falling apart within 12 months. also the tinted visor only costs $45 compared with around the $90 for some Shoei and Arai if bought locally. Must say i do know which Helmet will now recieve the most use.

Rick
  16. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    Hi WB

Just out of curiosity; are you aware of any other brand of helmet that offers road full face with adjustable peak that doesn't move when you lift the visor, with a more than decent finish for $229.00 ? And by removing the black washer that hold the peak you also gain an extra 5 mm of shade in your face and it does work very well while riding with the sun in your face going uphill. The only other option that I know of, it is the $800.00 Arai. I let you draw your conclusion of why this helmet is selling so fast...

PS
    It does indeed looks good as well:evil

Burt
  17. Richard H

Richard H XTZ 660

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]G’day Burt.

Thanks for the tip re - Visor. Never knew that.

I see there are some concerns regarding the helmets true function...For me - I ride to work and back and required a helmet with a peak & visor, they were my first two priorities simply as that. I have ridden with a MX helmet + goggles in the rain and blistering hot sun and swore never to do it again. If I was to go enduro/mx racing then I would buy a MX helmet.......but would first need to replace the XTZ with something more suitable <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12.75pt; height:13.5pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/Users/olga/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/lol8.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:lol3<!--[endif]-->

Also Rick - Glad to hear you are enjoying the lid. I’m still waiting for my tinted visor.

RH
    [/FONT]
  18. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a dealer in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs where I can try a helmet on for size?

19. AndyK

AndyK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A1 Mororcycles in Ringwood have stock (talk to Thommo), I bought a silver XL on Saturday:clap .
    I had a Shoei XL and the Zeus XL fitted well, my goggles also fitted - I've been running kid size goggles in the shoei...
    Be using it for a 3 day ride this weekend :rofl , I'll post a report.
    Cheers
  20. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Hi ANdy,

hows that AT going ??