1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Zinc plating - DIY or Outsource?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vankaye, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    I am building two bikes at once. I am interested in zinc plating nuts, bolts, and brackets to restore the pieces to look new.

I have seen the small kits and watched some youtube stuff on plating at home.
    I think it would be somewhat cool to do... but I am only mildly interested. I am concerned about getting a good product and specifically about getting enough plating on the pieces to make them last.

I am leaning toward simply boxing up the pieces and sending them out to get done, but I have no idea where to start. The sources I have found online are mostly bulk operations and I have no idea what the costs or turnaround time would be.

Anybody done this before? Either outsourced or DIY??

Anybody know where I could have this done if I decide not to take on this portion of the project?
  2. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    When I was still in CO, I had a place in Denver do my CB750. Whole bikes worth of zinc for $125.

I believe the place was called Specialty Plating. You can mail the parts to them and they'll mail it back.

[​IMG]
  3. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
  4. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    Thats what I'm talking about! Bag'em and Tag'em. I have enough work to do on these bikes to play around with chemicals and acids and stuff. I will be contacting Specialty Plating. Already checked out their website.
    Thanks! Just what I was looking for!
  5. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you send stuff out don't stop at tagging and bagging. Make a detailed list, and take pictures for ID purposes. It's possible that some parts will go missing, or get mixed in with other plating orders by mistake.
  6. Cat Daddy

Cat Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have batches of parts zinc plated monthly for restorations I do. My local shop is 25 dollar minimum charge for up to 25 pounds. Above that, its a dollar a pound. I've never exceeded the 25 dollar minimum on a batch. Never had a single part come up missing either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really makes things pop with the perfect detail against fresh powdercoat or paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last week I was doing a rear brake job on my one ton dually truck so I had them plate all the hardware. For 25 bucks its a bargain and keep things from corroding. The lugnuts and stuff are so nice to screw together when they're all fresh.

[​IMG]

The point of all this is to inspire you to do a search and find a good shop. Its one of the tools you can use to separate your work from people who aren't as detail oriented. In my case, I just googled "zinc plating Fort Worth Texas". I'm sure you have similar local shops.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Name & address,etc., of TX shop? Do they take mail orders? thanks!