Zion and Best Friends Pet Cemetery

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rat734, Jul 11, 2009.

1. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a day ride through Zion and on towards Kanab and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.

CONDITIONS AND INFORMATION: I hit the West park entrance at 9 am. The weather was still cool and not too many tourists. This was a Saturday and the campgrounds were still packed. Many of the motels in Springdale had their No Vacancy signs hanging from the night before.

Tar Snakes: Looks like the park is about to re-surface the roads and many tar snakes were present.

Weather: Nearly perfect all day until I returned through Zion. Once on the West side of the tunnel I was hit by a wave of desert heat. Temps reached nearly 100 degrees. Ride early and higher elevations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After leaving Zion, via the East entrance station, I continued on towards Kanab. There wasn't much traffic.

[​IMG]

The rest of this report will be about my destination, Best Friends pet cemetery.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is located North of Kanab. They are a sancuary of last resort for many animals. I think they house several hundred dogs. They also care for cats, horses, birds and reptiles.

If you watch "Dogtown" on NatGeo it is about this place. They are the ones that took possession of Michael Vick's fighting dogs and trained them for adoption. They have placed many of the dogs already.

Here is a link to their website. www.bestfriends.org

If you are looking for a way to enrichen your life move to Kanab and donate all of your time to this fine cause. You'll be happy...:D

I only visited the pet cemetery. There are hundreds of pets buried here. Many with headstones and personal keepsakes. I was touched by the emotion of the place.

Caution, lumps in the throat are possible from here on out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted rocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also hundreds of windchimes thoughtout the cemetery. When they ring in unison an eerie sound fills the canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sat in the shade of a gazebo and thought about the pets of my past.

[​IMG]

Each gazebo had a water jug and bowl for visiting animals. Being an animal myself, and having run out of water, I had some. Not sick so far. :clap

After a couple of hours I headed back towards Zion. I stopped at the Thunderbird for a shake (that they don't make anymore). You can still get the "Ho Made" pies though.

[​IMG]

I made it home in time for dinner. I gave my dogs an extra scratch behind the ears.
  2. feline

feline Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer:
    What a nice report! I'm a member of the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. They put out a great magazine. I would love to visit there some day, and spend some time with the animals.
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv Ignores Goats and Roadrunners

Oddometer:
    The wife and I visited there a couple years ago. Based only on the magazine they send us, I was skeptical but open minded. That place is everything they say and more. It's amazing what a sanctuary can be like when money is no longer an object (not that they don't still need your donations of course). Such an upbeat, happy place filled with nice people.

If you go, try to stay on site and have one of the dogs (or cats now also) over for a slumber party. It's a lot of fun for all involved. The on site cottages are surprisingly nice. They also appreciate it if you volunteer to walk dogs but you do have to take a brief training seminar before they turn you loose.

We only visited the cemetary via a tour in their van. I felt something there I never felt before. It's just a mystical place, in a good way. I'm not much of a spiritual type, but...I don't know, I just can't describe it. Very moving.

We're looking forward to going back again sometime. Kanab is, sort of unfortunately, in the middle of nowhere. Not the place you move to on a whim to work at an animal shelter. :loco But, the thought has crossed my mind a few times. :D

We drove through Zion completely by accident when we left there and it is definately worth the trip. We didn't have any time to spare there but the drive through was enough to sell us on going back. Lucky you who can take a day trip there. :thumbup
  4. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave I know this nurse that will be retiring in a few years and she has been volunteering for years now. Her plan is to move to Kanab and work there permanently. She has like a gazillion cats at home so she will fit in there perfectly. All she talks about. And the T-bird is the place to stop!

Interesting angle on your pics.
  5. AnaJu

AnaJu n00b

Oddometer:
    very nice pictures thanks.
  6. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing this..great looking crisp photos, also. what are you using for a camera and software?

thanks, rockydog
  7. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    For the camera I use a Nikon D60. As for software I don't use anything much. Within SmugMug there is photo editing software. The most I do is occasionally crop and maybe drop the exposure if the photographs are too bright.