1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Zion Curtain gpx file?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Colorad0, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed down to Rabbit Valley later this week and wanted to ride Zion. I can't find any gpx files for the ride, so I'd be much obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a hard copy map of the area, but it's not very detailed and I'm really good at getting lost :D
  2. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane

Oddometer:
    We used to call it the lost trail years ago for much the same reason.
  3. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane

Oddometer:
  4. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thanks Bill!!

Is there a preferred direction to ride it? I'll be flying solo, so I have to make sure not to get in over my head.

I'm comfortable riding my 300 up a 1.5-2ft ledge and dropping off a 4ft ledge, provided the runout isn't sketchy.
  5. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane

Oddometer:
    I remember riding left after crossing under I-70 as described on the site. Not too many ledges, lots of rocky rim overlooking the river. Big sandy hill climbs as I recall.
  6. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    If you have not done it, Western Rim is a good time.
    Great views.
  7. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

Hell yeah. That's one of my favorite rides and I will be hitting that up for sure.
  8. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    Defiantly easier riding it this direction, there is a tough climb coming in from the kokopeli trail side. Great riding at rv if you know where you are going, otherwise it can be a challenge finding the good stuff.
  9. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    I'll be camping on the Colorado river side of the I-70, but I notice that the gpx file has me starting on the opposite side.

I don't have a plate. Any issues "respectfully" sneaking across?

Looks like if I knew where I was going, I could probably stay on the south side of I-70, but I better just follow the GPS.
  10. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    No worries, never had any issues out in that neck of the desert
  11. Colorad0

Oddometer:

Good to know, thanks.
  12. Enterprise

Enterprise Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode it last week and it's actually signed quite well. Years ago you had to feel your way around out there, now most of the intersections have signs. Nothing particularly technical on the ride, just the occasional attention getter.
  13. joerc211v

joerc211v Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it easiest direction would be to ride from the rabbit valley parking lot to the north side of I70 ride west on the dirt road until you pass back under I70 (south side) and access the trail from this direction. This will avoid a pretty decent hill climb. Its fairly well marked. I like to ride that along with the overlook loop and arch trail and take the western rim trail back to the parking lot.
  14. Colorad0

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

Had a great time down in RV, but didn't end up getting to ride Zion Curtain.

However , I got to ride a lot of new trail down there with fellow campers/riders.

"Trail 8"... now that sound familiar, lets try that one :rofl

We attempted it in an anti-clockwise direction but had to turn around due to lack of time. It was above my "solo riding" comfort level, but ripe for the picking since I had company.

I managed to clean everything standing, with a single dab and one second attempt.

My riding buddy had a couple of loop outs and took some nasty tumbles, but also nailed some challenging stuff. Not bad for a guy who must have been in his 60's.

Anyway... for future reference, what's the best direction for this loop? If I could ride to this point (see pic) out and back, is there anything more difficult if I were to do the whole loop?

Attached Files: