Zip Tie Rotors to Check for Rattle

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bucolic, Dec 13, 2015.

1. bucolic

bucolic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    There have been a few threads explaining how to zip tie the rotors to check and see if the front end rattle goes away. I can't figure out how to do this though and still have the bike ridable.

I found a thread with an image but it was older and the image link was broken. Does anyone have an image of how to do this?

Thanks!
  2. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    Another way to satisfy your self about whether your rotors are rattling or not is to drag the front brakes gently while riding down some rough road that normally causes the rattle. If the rattle is gone, you know it's the rotors you were hearing.

The rotors on my bike have worn at their points of attachment (or more likely, the bobbins are wearing) to the point where they jangle & clatter really loudly over any kind of bump. When new, they made no noise at all. Now they sound like the brakes of an old hard-used race bike, even to the point of catching on the pads and chattering when I push the bike around in the garage. When I apply the brakes at slow speed, I feel a pronounced knock as the slack is taken up. Not ideal, but I don't care to fork out for new rotors yet.
  3. bucolic

bucolic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much. I know this has been beaten to death on here but I couldn't find an image of the rotors zip tied to test.

My issue is the rattle is there even with brake pressure applied. It's so hard to tell for sure though that I wanted to zip tie the rotors to be 100% sure before I installed the Clack stoppers I bought for the forks.

So many swear the Clack stoppers do nothing but then so many swear they fixed the issue. Just figured if I could 100% eliminate it was the rotors it would save me some time but can't for the life of me figure out how do it without having the zip ties hit the callipers.
  4. The Island

The Island Im lost.

Oddometer:
    Wow. Im back. They only way I can think of zipping them would be through the wheel and to each other — below the calliper. They'd have to be tight. One thing I noticed on the ones that I have owned is that if you take your hand and wiggle the rotors, they are loose. This is fine and on all of mine, this is what causes the noise. I can duplicate the sound by slowly rolling my bike back and forth and gripping the front brake fast and hard. I always hear it.

Tried looking for pictures and wasn't able to find anything.
  5. bucolic

bucolic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhh ok I didn't think of going to the wheel. Yes my rotors are loose also which I do understand is normal.

Only thing that gives me pause is most people say brake pressure eliminates the rattle but on mine it doesn't.

Thanks for the info!!
  6. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Buy some ear buds and play loud music through them, nothing on my GSA rattles at all :D
    Chalkie62 and bucolic like this.
  7. mxz

mxz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 15' GSA front end rattles like mad, straight out of the dealer. Rotors have a bit of play. Metal clunk that resonates up the fork and under steering. Been told "this is normal" by the dealer. Will try to look for tighter aftermarket rotors maybe when time comes to change them.
  8. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no mechanic but I know the floating discs are a feature to provide optimum alignment between the rotor and pads. The F800GS rattle isn't the rotor. It's somr other secret part.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
  9. mxz

mxz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, beats me then. Some users have said it might be a plastic part somewhere beneath the radiator grill that rattles.

Someone should just dissect it and find out once and for all. Otherwise there's at least 4 different opinions out there on the internet and none of them seem to be true.
  10. hellyhans

hellyhans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure you are not hearing the clunk in the forks.

the 800gs has a clunk in the top end of the forks because of how the spacer is sandwiched in between there..

There is a thread here somewhere where someone machined a spacer to make the gap tighter.
  11. Lonster

Lonster Hi Ya....

Oddometer:
    Zip ties are just inserted and tied to eliminate the space. I do mine in about 3 places around the rotor. Basically 10, 2 and 6 oclock positions. No more clatter. I originally thought it was noise from the centerstand then thought it was the front springs because of another article I saw. But after doing this I've had no more noise. You have to redo them occasionally. Keep the lock portion away from the calipers. uploadfromtaptalk1452303841838.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452303855262.jpg
    NCD and Nickhob like this.
  12. bucolic

bucolic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhh....I see. I will give that a try. Might be in the 30's this weekend so I can give it a shot!

Thanks!!!
    Lonster likes this.
  13. bucolic

bucolic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I am completely flabbergasted but the horrible front end noise was in fact the rotors! I zip tied them and hit some rough off road area and it was like riding a different bike!

I absolutely still can't believe all that noise was coming from those floating rotors. With those zip ties on there the bike sounds like it should!

It seems like BMW could figure something out to quiet those down but at least I know what it is and can resolve it myself for now.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
    Lonster likes this.
  14. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    I had the front wheel off to swap tires so I tried the zip tie trick while the wheel was out. I was must able to get the zip ties in to a couple of the gaps on each rotor. The rattling sound is almost gone. Haven't tried it on rough roads (the commute) yet. Will know tomorrow.
  15. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used my hydraulic press and a impact socket whose outer diameter was close to the same as the buttons and pressed them until I could just spin the button with a little force and they worked great afterwards.
    BygDaddee likes this.