1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Zip ties to fix a flat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DurtKlod, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I've been following several of the TAT threads and have noticed the reference to zip ties several times as a remedy to flats. It seems you use them to attach the tire to the rim to keep from ruining the tire after a flat but I've not found any more elaboration on how to do it or why this works. Anybody care to elaborate? Thanks.
  2. no5s

no5s Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer:
    I've used heavy zip ties on trials bikes before to keep the flat from rotating on the rim. It worked to finish on time, just not very well. Fix it if no time constraints, save your rim.
  3. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zip ties around the inner tube to seal the off the damaged area is a known trail side fix.
  4. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    It's more of an emergency fix if you're in a place where you cannot repair the flat. Using big zippies will keep the tire from rotating on the rim (as previously mentioned) and tearing the valve stem out of the tube. I rode a portion of the TAT (OK, NM & CO) and cannot think of any place where I could not have fixed a flat. I also chose to run rim locks instead of using zip ties. I did not have any flats while on my ride. However, big zip ties can be used for other things beside flats... :D
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a fix, not a remedy, only a way to LIMP back to civilization keeping the tire on the rim. You will damage the tire, but you will do less damage to the rim if it can be protected (with the tire zip tied to it) while you are self rescuing. Rim locs prevent the tire from spinning on the rim while inflated (typically while using low tire pressures). Once riding on a flat tire, rim locs quickly losen and do little to keep the tire in place. Running on a flat will also loosen all of your spokes in a hurry too.
  7. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    You're right there, shredded tube and 4 loose spokes from a flat on a trail ride last weekend (riding on sand so I didn't notice till I got back to the carpark, and how the hell do you get a nail in your tire in the middle of 2000 hectares of pine forest?).
    Why would you bother with a zip tie fix tho, it would be quicker and less damaging to simply fix the flat?
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like I said, zip tying a tire to a wheel is a self rescue technique. It is a last resort where you have used all of your patches/spare tubes/whatever. When racing in the desert (typical weekend 80 to 100 mile events), it is not common to carry tubes/patches or tire tools, and if you get a flat you simply ride the last mileage back to the finish line on the flat. It is not uncommon when riding on a flat for any distance at all, for the rim locs to come loose, and the tire come off the rim, with no spares/tire tools, many will try to ride in on the bare rim. It doesn't work for long as the spokes all come lose and the wheel comes apart. I've seen guys riding in on bare rims dozens of time over the years.
  9. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    I can understand the racing scenario, the question was really about the OPs' question, riders on the TAT, surely they would have planned on fixing a flat?
  10. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Learn something new everyday. Okay, thanks guys. I carry zip ties but none that big. Time to go shopping I guess. I've seen a few as well (on TV) come limping in to the checkpoints on bare rims.
  11. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I certainly was prepared to fix a flat on the TAT (and all my other adv. rides). But, I did carry big enough zip ties that if I had to use that method, I could have.
  12. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
  14. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    Redneck Bib Mousse!:lol3
    [​IMG]