1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ZiplocK bag air filter oiling? Tried it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigtrailie, Sep 17, 2009.

1. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    I picked up a new oil filter for my 520 exc. It is a foam unit that requires oiling. I placed the filter in a gallon ziplock bag and proceeded to pour a pint of air filter oil into the bag.

I realize that you are supposed to squeeze out the "excess" oil, but how much constitutes excess? Is there a rule of thumb for how much oil should be consumed in oiling a foam filter?

Also, has anyone else used the ziplock bag oiling method? This seems like a good idea in that it keeps my fingers clean. Anyone got any reasons why this is a bad idea?
  2. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    A pint is excessive. Your filter should be lightly coated to trap the dirt, not totally saturated. I use a ziplock but just add a bit at a time until the entire outer surface is the same color. Maybe a tablespoon or two. Too much oil will restrict air flow, making your bike run rich.
  3. willierides

willierides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoa...a pint of filter oil lasts me quite a while. I use No-Toil. It's kind to the environment and works well. Easy clean up.

I use my bare hands and work it in a little at a time until the gilter is nicely coated all over just enough to make a consistent color inside and out. Only difference with "regular" oil is that I'd use some latex gloves. Maybe.
  4. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I use the zip loc method, works decent for keeping you clean.
  5. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the bag method as well. A big bag.
    For both my Husky Te610 and Honda XR650L I pour in 7 oz oil.
    Work the oil into the filter then work the filter to the top of the bag and squeez out all you can. Then I measured what was left.
    My Husky Twin Air holds 5 OZ and the Honda UNI holds 6 OZ.
    When out of the bag I use the good old shop vac to suck through any other excess oil in the filter.
    Both seem to filter great with very little drool in the filter box.
  6. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or use a plastic shopping bag. Put in a little oil on the filter, squeeze until evenly distributed and squeeze out the excess. Do not twist and wring the filter as it can tear the foam. You can also place the filter into another clean bag and squeeze again to remove that last bit of extra oil. Recycle the bags and finish your beer.
  7. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    I too use the ziplock bag method, Just a few onces, message and I let it drip dry for an hour. Place in bike then hit the gas :)
  8. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I like the Notoil aerosol better. Less waste and clean up is a piece of cake with Notoil's cleaner

Before that I always used a tupperware bowl. Pour some oil on filter, work it in and all the excess drained into the bowl, ready for the next time
  9. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    The TwinAir filter skin actually comes in a resealable bag for just this purpose.
  10. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    it looks like a good squeezing (not wringing, so as not to tear the foam) pulled out most of the oil. I'd say about 6 oz of oil remained in the filter. Thanks all for the input.
  11. Pike Bishop

Pike Bishop Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer:
    If you used a gallon-size Ziploc bag, you're going to need WAY more than a pint of oil.

I'd say 3 quarts or so. :deal
  12. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    funny:lol3
  13. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Wal-Mart sack.

Make sure you let NoToil dry overnight. Install on the bike but leave the airbox cover off till the next AM. USE THE RIM GREASE.
  14. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    K&N aerosol stuff here. I wash my filter out in a 5gal bucket with a gallonish of water and a shot of dish soap. Let it dry out a bit, shoot it with the K&N till the red oil is even on the filter. Slap it on and ride.
  15. Kev1

Kev1 Live Life

Oddometer:
    Important to squeeze out as much oil as you can - with your fingers.:evil Can't squeeze out too much that way.. Even more important is to use dino (mineral) oil. Wash the filter in turps to clean and let it dry. Don't rinse it with water.
  16. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Honda Pro Chem foam filter oil and cleaner is the way to go. Mix the cleaner with water, dip the filter in, swish around some, and it comes out really clean. Let dry overnight, do the plastic bag deal like you say squeeze out as much as possible, and I use a shop vac to get the rest.