Zip's Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Zip, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Zip

Zip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today's trip was special for several reasons.

I've been snowed in since November. I got so desperate that I crushed up some charcoal briquets, and spread them on the sheet of ice in my yard, to help the sun melt the ice quicker,so that I could get the bike out. The sun has been out two days in a row, with above freezing temperatures. It worked, and enough bare ground showed up that I could gingerly back the bike out of the mudroom, out the driveway, and out on the roads.

I rode 70+ miles up to Fairport, NY, east of Rochester. The ground was snow-covered the whole way, which makes for a different kind of ride. Temperatures were in the upper 30's on the way up, and low 40's on the way home. I'm sure I freaked out more than a few motorists, who have long since forgotten that motorcycles exist.

My '86 K75 made it to the dealer's, where I swapped it for the silver RT with my name on it. That old K bike is still a nice machine.

I managed to ride the new RT home without incident. This is the first new bike I've had in many years, and the heated handgrips, along with my trusty Widder vest, made the trip home more comfortable than the one up. I got cold hands on my old bike, like I always do, but they did not get cold with the new bike.

The new bike is parked in the mudroom, warm and dry. My yard is thawed, but has turned from ice to slippery mud. I was fortunate to get the bike inside without dropping it.

The weather forecast is for heavy rain tomorrow, changing to freezing rain, then snow off and on most of next week, with frigid temp's. I had just a narrow window of opportunity to swap bikes, and it worked out :thumb

Zip
    '03 Silver RT
    '86 K75 (sold)
  2. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Zip, congrats on the new ride! :jive
    Hopefully the weather will break on this absolutely abominable winter very soon so you can enjoy your new RT. Fantastic bike, as you already know ... and one that gets better as the years go by.
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    photos! where are the photos?! :1drink
  4. Zip

Zip Long timer

Oddometer:
    hehe

I'll have to borrow the digital camera from work :lol1

That can be arranged next week. I was doing pretty good to get out of there at 10:30 this morning, to get my trip in.

The new bike has 95 miles on it, and I notice that "new bike smell" in my mudroom. :ssmile

Zip