Ziptying a Spare Tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outty, Mar 14, 2018.

1. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    Any reason why a fella couldn't just zip tie spare tubes to the bike somewhere? I'm trying to find a little tool box to tuck out of the way to stash a spare tube, some doo-dads and my tool roll but so far I'm coming up blank. Not much out there that isn't just a pannier.
  2. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some mountain bikers do this, and I'd assume road cyclists too. Enough that some smaller indie companies are making straps just for this purpose. But with a heavier tube and more chassis vibration, I'd bet the main issue is having the zipties start to saw in to the tube over time. I'd be nervous that I'd only notice the the zip-tie cut a slit in the tube when I needed it. Maybe wrap it a heavier material? Or use something like Rok straps?

[​IMG]

There's other motorcycle options though. Wolfman and Tusk both make fairly popular fender bags that strap over the front fender and can hold a tube (not sure about the larger sizes). I have the wolfman one. I keep two tire spoons in the bag with the tube. Another option is a small tail bag, like the Wolfman Enduro Tool Bag. There's at least a handful of bags on the market in this style.

Maybe you've seen this, but list of options https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/1008/Fender-Packs
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stuff the folded new tube into a section of an old tube to protect it and then do whatever you want to it.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    vacuum seal it
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only issue I see here is trying to get it out. The sealer I use for our meats have to be opened with a knife. I'd be worried of slicing the tube.

I keep mine in an old sock in the tool tube.
  7. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the replies.

I think I'm going to roll it up, put a layer of rubber where the zip tie makes contact, then shrink wrap it (can open w/o tools) then zip tie it to a little nook in the frame like in the photo above.
  8. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    An appropriate sized freezer bag or even a sandwich bag will do the job with a lot less chance of the zip ties cutting into the tube.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my WRR, there is a little shelf above the taillight and below the rear fender, it is a prefect place to stuff a spare tube. I hold it in place with a couple bicycle toe clip straps.
  10. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears Supporter

Oddometer:
    Voile ski straps usually do the reick
  11. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can't manage to open a vacuum bag without slicing the tire, perhaps you shouldn't be changing your own tire. Rubber is also degraded by sunlight. I think a vacuum bagged tube stuffed into another container is an excellent idea.
    Antti likes this.
  12. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something opaque and enclosed. Grit and dust over extended periods will not be good. I'd look at a sandwich bag.
  13. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    This tube is a monster, I don't think they make sandwich bags big enough. It's a 4mm thick UHD 21" - I don't know why I bother carrying a spare, I couldn't pop this thing if my life depended on it.
  14. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put the heavy-weights in the wheels, but carry a light weight spare unless you're going somewhere really remote that you don't think you can risk running a light weight in the event you had to use it.

If the zip will cut through a rubber tube, it'll cut right through a plastic bag within the day riding off road. Maybe a couple layers of thick plastic sheeting?

They also make fender bags specifically to solve this problem :D
  15. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    I keep mine in a ziplock with a good amount of baby powder . I just burp the air out of the baggie and it travels just fine.
    I cary only one spare tube (for the larger dia tire) The powder helps to get the kinks/twists out of it if it has to go in the smaller tire.
  16. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    I know this is a silly question - but is there more to installing rim tape than just putting it on? It's not sticky at all...there is no way it's going to stay put.
  17. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll stay put.
    outty likes this.
  18. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw another thread where someone made a cylinder out of PVC that they zip tied to the frame. It was large enough to put a spare tube and tire spoons in.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
  19. dbc

dbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I usually stretch a layer of stucco tape over the rubber strip to hold it in place. It's made of thin plastic and holds up well.
    Available at most mega hardware stores.

[​IMG]
  20. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    The strip that I bought was about 1/4" less in width and half the thickness of the old one - I put it on, but I also cleaned up the old one and put it back too. I'm satisfied with how it all went together.

Thanks for the advice fellas.