1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ziptying a Spare Tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outty, Mar 14, 2018.

1. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are using tubes then you will have old tubes to cut up into rings to make big elastic bands.
    These were used for all sorts of things in the old days - from cinching your leggings from flapping before velcro or nylon webbing to holding your trials number onto the bike and sandwiches on the back of your seat.
    All my wet weather kit is rolled and stashed with cut up inner tubes, and has been for the last nearly 30 years and approaching 200,000 miles.

Inner tubes will hold another tube well, with little risk of abrasion or coming loose - they have lots of friction.
    You can also loop them together to make a long strap to make like a large temporary bungee cord.

I think it is a good idea to rotate these spare tubes too. Relying on the tube that has been folded up and fixed to a bike somewhere for the last 5 years is not a guarantee of getting home tonight. The spare tube goes on with a new tyre, the new tube goes into back-up.
    I think it's 3 punctures in the last 30 years, and only one more before that, 1966, I think.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  2. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fold the tube so the valve stem is out, then put it in an old sock. The sock helps keeps holes from being rubbed in it and gives you something to wipe your hands with after fixing a flat.
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Tubes deteriorate pretty quickly when exposed to sun, dirt, or even a hint of ozone. Wrap that rascal.

Talc, tube bag, and inspect/replace at least yearly.
    nickguzzi likes this.
  4. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of using the spare tube when you change to a new tire, then using a new tube as a spare - your spares are never going to be very old.
  5. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    White trash bag secured to the outside, taped TIGHTLY with clear plastic packing tape (keeps the tube from rotting, chafing, and is easy to find if it falls off of your bike, etc.