Zongshen (CSC) RX 4

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by collinskj, Oct 21, 2018.

1. collinskj

collinskj Chris with a K

Oddometer:
    http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=30070

Looking forward to this one. With the KLR production era coming to an end, this seems like a pretty viable replacement to carry the torch. One cylinder, 43 hp, EFI, 6-speed, 450 lbs wet (with luggage racks). Similar performance/specs to a Generation 1 KLR with a modern BMW styling. Pricing is still unknown for the most part.

CSC-Dual-Sport-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Direct replacement for the KLR 650? No. A thread to discuss an interesting upcoming thumper? Yes.

Looks like it will be hitting dealers in the US starting next year.
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Considerably better than the old KLR IMO....lighter,6-speed,FI,more power...Thailand vs.China...
    Whats not to like...have 2 RX 3's and after 2.5 years they are proving themselves bombproof.
    CPAT and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for starting this thread.

Many owners will be happy with their 450. The China bikes appear to be bomb proof.

However, the torch will not be handed off, at least not in the USA. KAWI will replace the KLR in 2019 or wait until inventory to be gone at go with 2020.
    Also, the T700 will lighter and faster and have dealership support. Still under $10,000.
    The 450 should be under $6,000. Maybe $4,500 MSRP at the lowest.

____
    Granted the RX-4 will be good for the DIY crowd who likes stuff dropped off near their house. Plus, range and cargo room should be impressive.
  4. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Not sure about being a KLR killer. A Himalayan killer, maybe.

At a glance:
    43hp and 450lbs for the Zong. KLR was 42hp at the crank and, supposedly, 430lbs. Not seeing any improvement at all just reading those specs on paper. My Gen 1 with a few tweaks was 370lbs with 3 gallons of fuel. There's no way I shed 60lbs off that bike.

KLR has 47nm vs Zongs 40nm of tq. So roughly 20% more tq on the KLR. The additional 1hp of the Zong won't help with the lack of tq and +30lbs it's wearing.

The 6th gear could be great if they use a realistic ratio, otherwise it's just a gear. The FI is personal tastes.

19" limits you offroad. Similar ground clearance will equal similar wheel travel.
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Take the crash bars,luggage racks and boxes off the RX4 and you're at 400 lbs.
    A solid 30 lbs less than the KLR....USD forks too....Dual Disc...19" front better suited to its mission

In 2018 is there really anybody that wants a carb over FI.Not many.
    CPAT likes this.
  6. Duckati

Duckati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deposit placed! In the first twenty, apparently...

Noticed your 2nd RX3 is no longer on CL - Did you end up selling her? I'm fixing up Merry (Ohio Danimal's trusty steed), but we'll likely part ways after the RX-4 arrives. I'm installing the 300cc kit before then to remedy the minor-turned-major oil/water leak... May also swap over some of the great farkles Dan had added first, since he included the molded luggage and stock wheels in the sale.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Yep. Me for starters. Just bought another DR after crashing my first one. It'll be getting a TM40 pumper carb and suspension upgrades, along other things, off the old bike along with replacements for the broken stuff.

Honestly I've gotten indifferent on EFI. I just know carbs. Particularly on a DR. It wouldn't put me off, it's just a different set of potential issues.

I'll be interested to see how the RX4 does, both market wise and long term reliability. The RX3 seems to have a strong, if small, following and reasonable reports of reliability. Hopefully the RX4 is the same or better.
  8. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    I would have actually perferred that the Royal Enfield Himalayan come with a carb.

The Hima is a touring bike. She is not designed to set in a garage like a HD.

Liquid cooling on a mellow thumper just adds weight amd more expense down the road.
    Not worth the engine life. Glad the Hima is air oil cooled.
    jwaller likes this.