zongshen cyclone 450 rally bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mikledog, Dec 17, 2016.

1. mikledog

mikledog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there's a video out on this bike, don't know how to post it. they are going to the dakar rally 2017, should be interesting. possible adv bike coming, should shake things up.
  2. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Just post the link.
  3. mikledog

mikledog Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. mikledog

mikledog Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huck369 likes this.
  6. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was the Collectors Bobble Head Edition...
    It will be interesting to see how they in in Dakar, if they finish.
    Very cool to see more companies getting into it (Hero is using Speedbrain bikes to compete)
  7. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Zongshen has 5 riders entered on the 450,two of which are seasoned French riders.
    Ham46 likes this.
  8. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Below is what Troy Safari Carpente said of the bike, he has a long history with rally and generally knows his shit. I just removed the quote thingys so it is easier to read. None of the following is my work, it is all TSC, so if you don't agree, blame him not me...:deal

Oh and sorry Garfey, I only just realised he @Ed you so now you will get a notification for no reason.:lol3

New brands are always an exciting prospect for DAKAR-ista... and great that we will have some cheering them on her on the ADV F5irehose... :clap

As far as Zongshen goes... a "factory" team with seeded rider start numbers: #127, #128, #129 & #130...? With the exception of Thiery Bethys... the line up is far from stellar.

and the machine...? Well, you gotta give 'em some credit there. At least it's not Bold New Graphic's makeover on and older JVO WRF or KTM Rallye - like some other Chinese manufacturers have done in recent years. It genuinely looks like they are putting in their own engineering effort... and some of the solutions seem - well - let's say... unique? :brow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the "press release" version of the Zongshen NC 450 Rally... which still has a bit of an "11th hour" look to it... and then there is the somewhat "hit and miss" quality that still hovers over the Chinese moto offerings... for sure they are making advances... question is (in DAKAR terms) how fast?

[​IMG]

I'll predict that the factory Zong Shen 450 effort will end up in the rear third of the moto field... (with the possible exception of Bethys - who no doubt has the skill and speed of an "elite" seeded rider... Just interesting to see if the bike can keep pace. So, for mine; pretty much like every other genuinely Chinese DAKAR effort that's attemped the last several years since the El DAKARO came to South America - on either two wheels or four - they will be up against it from about day two onwards.

The Chinese efforts in the past that have proved somewhat viable (the Great Wall SUV T1 auto entry of Carlos Souza and the re-badged KTM 450's of Jing Cheng a few years back), have - as I mentioned before - usually been just re-badged efforts, that used established platforms and european sourced teams/logistics, in order to get the job done...

If this is a genuine "all Chinese" effort - hats off to them for giving it a shot... just reaching the finish - with the rider staff and material they will front - will be a victory in itself.

Jay... you might want to drop @garfey a PM, for a crash course in the art of the; F5 nightshift collective's will them towards the ASS "slow clap"... :lol3 :deal

:clap
    :clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  9. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    130kg with 30L of fuel integrated tank
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The Chinese are going to fill in where the Japanese have not.
    The Italians & French sure have embraced the Chinese with joint bikes.
    Will this engine find it's way into a CSC or AJP 450 ADV bike?
  12. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Good to see this competition.

I have complete confidence in a nation that brought the West ,

Gun Powder :hide
    Compass:ricky
    Printing Press :deal

Once they win their first Dakar, they will have finally gone full circle in my book.

:D
    stinky78 likes this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That would make sense.
  14. TTorpedo

TTorpedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they can market something under the 140kg with 40+ponies, and road maintenance intervals, bring it on.
    Maybe then Honda will put a real engine on their rally fairing or Suzuki will updated the DRZ...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Zong NC450 motor is already being used in the upcoming RX4, which is essentially a RX3 with the larger motor and a few other changes.
    Slated for possible sale in US by CSC in 2018.
    Prototypes are on the road already
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    If that's a Dakar bike where's all the fuel go? LH number plate looks like they might be able to fit a small tank under it but I doubt that would be enough.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you watch video I posted tank is the rear subframe. The rider sits on 30L/8gal tank.

I have reservations to how well this design would work long term on ADV packing mule, unless it is internally reinforced by metal structure.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully better suspension and front brakes without jacking price by much.
  19. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, most definitely. I've ridden the RX4 prototype in China. We'll have it here as a 2018 model.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the 450 output? 35-40hp?