zongshen cyclone 450 rally bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mikledog, Dec 17, 2016.

1. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    I think the Chinese thing is very polarizing. I remember my dad saying the same thing about Honda's, Datsun's and Toyota's in the 1970's. My uncle said he laughed at the Honda bikes in the 60's because he and his pals had pre and post WW2 Harleys and Indians on the road. My friend in high school had a Hyundai in the mid 80's. We gave him hell. Meanwhile my Dodge was always....ALWAYS broken down. Truly, America built POS cars in the 80's.

I think Zongshen/Cyclone has proven it's durability, reliability and value with the RX3. It's been out 2 years now, and some folks have had teething problems that have been handled with CSC's amazing customer service. Many have some decent mileage on them now. I'd trust mine anywhere. As always, 30% more power? Yes please, I'd like a helping of that. I think the Cyclone is a direct competitor for the Versys and the 250 Vstrom. For the BMW? no. I think the marquee has too much pull for folks to cross shop. BMW people are BMW people, it's the brand that is as enticing as the product.

So, I think there will be direct competition, as Cyclone can compete, with price to value being high on the list. I don't consider it an inferior product, and that's not just ownership bias speaking. It's factual as myself and many other owners have been pleased to very pleased. I'm not saying it's a better product than bike X, Y, or Z, just that it's a viable option for budget minded people that want a "lite ADV" bike, and it will certainly hold it's own.
    spacely likes this.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Wonder why they'd choose to "test" prototypes on the international stage, at such a high profile and grueling race? That's like showing up at the Kentucky Derby on donkeys!

What did they hope to gain? Marketing posters?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Balls and confidence in their product.

Not staying at home and playing it safe.

Not Skeeered.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  4. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    I know. I was discussing this. At first I blasted the riders for being quitters. My wife pointed out that what if they weren't given the tools to succeed? If that was the case, then Mr. Zongshen takes ownership of the failure. I know lots of equipment is "tested" in real life proving grounds, but good grief, don't waste all that time, money, and exposure on such a new venture. Any marketing exposure they got is all negative now. All they did was prove the naysayers right, in that a Chinese bike can't compete.

Kudos for at least throwing their hat in the ring, but make sure you are ready at the get go.

Personally, I hope this changes, as I like an underdog story as much as anyone, but they looked like buffoons out there, with either every rider failing, every bike failing, or any combo of the 2.
  5. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Sounds like Mr.Zongshen might have read Soichiero Honda's book.

BTW the Bufoons stayed at home.
  6. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    So you guys are saying, either the riders are pussies, or the bikes are weaksauce.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    There's not a whole lot of other options though, are there? Either the riders backed out or the bikes broke.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Maybe they should have tested the bikes & riders before the race? I mean, I could have entered on a pogo stick and failed to finish too. ;)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with their production bikes, and I'm glad to see them available on the US market. I think they have a lot of potential and it good to hear buyers are happy with them.
  9. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    I get that they had confidence in their product. If the riders backed out, then they weren't "invested" in the mission (I love corporate buzzwords- not) and they didn't have the skill, or fortitude. If the bikes broke, that's not the fault of the riders. It's either poor designing, poor materials or poor workmanship, which Mr. Zongshen should own. Failures happen all the time in these events, but to all the bikes? If the riders weren't given the tools needed to succeed, it's Zongshen's fault. They should have waited, tested, and fine tuned for a chance of success. If it was the riders that failed, and not the bikes, then better riders should have been hired.
    GlennR likes this.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Hey, I usually have to learn things the hard way too. Often twice. :lol3
    Bitingdog, buckthedog and GlennR like this.
  11. SHEP_5

SHEP_5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Western NY, somewhere between Buffalo & Rochester
    Why did I just read this entire thread? I want that part of my life back
    Rusty Rocket and Bigger Al like this.
  12. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Because you were hoping to hear they'd done well and were going to offer a 450 rally bike for cheap in the US. Don't worry, Trump's going to put a stop to all the cheap imports. Harley will be offering dual sports again,( but they can't import them from Italy this round). ;)
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Makes me glad I've already purchased my "cheap" Japanese truck and bike. :puke2
    GlennR likes this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hearby publically am stating to Zongshen: I will happily take one of those five NC450 (or is it ZX450) Rally bikes that didn't finish off their hands to play with.
    I'm sure as far as MY needs go, whatever bugs exist can be ironed out for the type of Adv riding I do.
    Unless there are "issues" with the NC450 mill that just started to become apparent after the abuse that stages 1 and 2 dished out.
    As I am one of many that would love to be riding a RX4, the comfort level in moving to a bike that uses that mill surely will be affected by whatever "news" Zongshen cares enough to share.
    Remebering that they are in a Communist Country that excels in "editing" what is told to the public, I am remaining hopeful that they will share ALL the info gleaned from this Dakar debut....and will do so SOONER rather than later.
    Like now
    Like today...on either of Zongshen's Factory's Facebook pages.
    Do it.
    Post pictures of the failed bikes
    Provide details of the failure mode
    Post pictures of the abandoned riders shortly after they dropped out, providing feedback on their preparation deficiencies, etc if applicable.

A LOT of Zong's future in the US market depends on this transparency I think.
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zongshen better cut it out with this "don't blame our bikes, the riders were just pussies." Do you think the hired guns are just going to sit quietly for that?
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Zongshen carries huge loads with aplomb and never fails to bring the smiles.

[​IMG]

Anyway , at least an effort was made , can't knock them for trying.
    JagLite, Bitingdog, LexLeroy and 3 others like this.
  17. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    I think you are confusing this thread with reality?
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a false statement.
    Zongshen has said absolutely nothing concerning what happened. Not one word yet.
  19. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, no one has pointed fingers publicly, nor offered an explanation as to the riders or the bikes. I don't mind if everyone tried their best. I've had to abandon ship a time or 2 in my life, but only after I gave it my all. As long as they did (and only they know if they did---from the design team on down) then no hard feelings.
  20. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    All I really care about is how the bike held up.

Lot of speculating so far.

Have not heard a thing about the bike breaking.(fuel tank issues don't count)

Fires don't count either:lol3