zongshen cyclone 450 rally bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mikledog, Dec 17, 2016.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Maybe Thierry Bethys had a Galaxy Note 7 in his tank bag. :hmmmmm
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was completely uncalled for.

I am questioning the reliability in the context of all bikes failing right after the start, not some imaginary Grandpa context. If they can't build it for showcase, can they build it for production?
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike that burned was NOT a Zongshen bike. Pictures before the start seem to show four of the five Cyclones that started were rebadged Yamahas (someone mentioned that they MIGHT be Yamaha WR450s with Zonshen motors stuffed in last minute).
    The bike that burned had very large outboard JVO rally gas tanks, not the internal tank the Zongshen Rally bike carried
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    xr400r likes this.
  4. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    How about calling these bikes "inferior"being completely uncalled for ?

Do You have any current proof beyond the "Grandpa's bike mentality" ?

The RX4's little brother RX3 appears to be doing quite well and holding up admirably.

And if you have proof of the RX4 not being worthy then let's see it.

I'm sorry but that sounds biased bro.
  5. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    The GS310 and RX3 look like their brothers. The new mini beam looks just like the typical "Chinese" bike IMO. Actually, I think the RX3 is a nicer looking bike....
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now you just making stuff up. Go and re-read my posts where exactly did I call it "inferior"??

I did question reliability, but hey noone calls KTM inferior just unreliable for example. This is not the same thing, at least in English check dictionary.

Visited provinces:
    [​IMG]
    Visited states:
    [​IMG]
  7. Notyourpop

Notyourpop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a lot more about Dakar than just bikes and riders. They probably are learning a lot even with failed attempts.
    The logistics of Dakar factor greatly into the success of finishing.
    They will return again, smarter and better prepared. Sure, they could have talked to other teams, read everything related to the race, but it's never as informative as actually attempting it.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I posted a comment on Bethys' FB page asking what happpened and he replied!!
    As far as I know, this is the first real news on what really happened.
    His comment: "
    [​IMG]
    TB Racing
    January 7 at 4:24am

Seems to be a vapor lock problem. For the other rider, 2 of them crash to hard( 1arm broken an other back broken) and the 2 other one were to slow."

So now we know a bit more
    Azhule and buckthedog like this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So no other mechanical failures? that is a good news. Do we know if burnt bike was full Yamaha or it had ZS engine?

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk
  10. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    Yes there are nuances to every situation...
  11. zedro

zedro Dirt Nerfer

Oddometer:
    This is the smartest guy in the room.
  12. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Post # 58
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think imagination takes the better of you. Comment was clearly made in context of insufficient HP for interstate and lack of reliability. RX3 isn't even capable to make it out of LA on interstate while maintaining 70 MPH, according to professional reviewers. Of cause it won't be called superior when compared to G310GS or VX300 which have 8 and 13HP more.

And where exactly it says Chinese? It was you who made the Chinese = interior connection. So please stop making things up.

RX3 and similarly powered V-Strom 250 are not the good bikes for US market, especially when you can get 2-4 years old 650 for the similar price. We have a lot of highways we travel distances at higher speeds.

When/If RX4 comes to US and it proves to be reliable, with better front brake it could end up being the best value in small ADV bike segment; perhaps even the best small ADV bike overall. As is ZS has to play catch up because they don't really have a U.S. market product IMHO.
  14. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put KTM brakes on it!
  15. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    haw haw...... good one
  16. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know who these "professional reviewers" are, but I can tell you the above statement is just flat wrong. I rode an RX3 "out of LA on interstate" while maintaining speeds well above 70 mph most of the way to Sturgis, then across the northwestern US at similar speeds, and then back down the coast highway and 101. Did the same across China.
    spacely likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indicated or by GPS? Over Cajon pass? How much do you weight?
  18. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and I weigh 180 lbs now. When I did the rides described above I weighed between 190 and 210 lbs.
  19. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    CP: By way of full disclosure, I write the blog for CSC Motorcycles, and I basically get paid to take the RX3, the TT250, and soon the RZ3 and RC3 on cross-country and international motorcycle rides. We did this initially to wring out the RX3 to assess its roadworthiness and reliability, and thereafter just to have fun and to take our customers on adventure rides here, in Baja, and elsewhere (the rides are free, other than individual personal expenses, for CSC customers). I've done the above-referenced US ride, and I've ridden the RX3 across China, in Colombia's Andes Mountains, and in Mexico's Baja peninsula.

If you would like to see what the magazine reviewers (not me) have said about the RX3, I invite you to peruse this page...

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

My personal opinion is that a 250 is the right size for real adventure riding. Oh, we'll sell the 450 when it becomes available (and I've ridden the prototype 450 in China), but I'll stick by my statement and continue to believe that a 250 is the perfect bike. You can read a bit more about that here...

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=13381

Any questions, please feel free to ask me or you can contact CSC at info@cscmotorcycles.com.
    spacely, buckthedog and cyclopathic like this.
  20. Howlinsage

Howlinsage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wave that banner.
    gatling likes this.