zongshen cyclone 450 rally bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mikledog, Dec 17, 2016.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Just look at the weight from a picking it up perspective. Or even having to plant a foot and trying to hold it up to prevent having to pick it up. Lighter is better in these situations. I've nearly had a spill at a traffic light when my foot came down on something super slick. Its not just off road that has to worry about it. While I know I can personally pick up the ~430 lbs of the Zongshen, since I can heft the ~540 of my Vstrom 1000, It's still more than I'd like to deal with regularly. Even my DR that's just a bit under 400 lbs gets tiring quick. If you're mostly touring and not really getting into "falls likely" territory, I think this would be a good bike. But so would much larger and heavier ones. Given the weight of the RX3 and the likely small increases caused by adding a little bigger motor, I don't see why it can't be kept a bit closer to 400 lbs and well under that with bags and crash bars removed.
  2. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:

Horses for courses...you may have 2000k of hwy's, backroads, even (gasp) interstate dispersed within that "miles" of soft sand. Some may want to haul their bike to their adventure, some may ride...neither is wrong. Also, you can't add the riders weight to the bike...as the rider and gear will be on ANY bike. Also, with the crashbars and panniers/racks removed, the weight will be under 400. The RX3, weighs in at 385 with everything on it, and full fluids. Its about 341 without the racks, panniers and crashbars. If that helps at all.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    reviews I read vary.... dry wt 359.... wet weight 386 etc.... take your pick. they seem to all agree on 25hp though
  4. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    On the hp they do...all the same. As far as the dry vs wet weight, that seems about right. As far as wet without extra (included) racks, boxes, bars, I read, and posted here in the RX3 thread somewhere a while back, the weight was 341. I may be off by 10 lbs. It seemed like the additional stuff was 45 lbs, which comes out right.

Dry vs wet is stupid. You can't ride a bike without gas, oil and coolant (for liquid cooled bikes, because some weisenheimer would point out something about "air cooled bikes" and that would just aggravate the $*!t out of me. It's like factoring in rider weight. Give me a break, ok, stay home, and let your riderless bike purge all of it's fluids, and go for a ride by itself, it'll handle sooooo much better.
    pyoungbl and William Wolfen like this.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I was told dry weight is also with no battery... another check mark in the "stupid" box
    Jarlaxle and buckthedog like this.
  6. furrybarry

furrybarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. So very underprepared. A bog stock WR with a load of plastic bolted on. No wonder they vapour locked, overheated and caught fire. Who knows, the actual Zongshen bike might be ok with decent preparation and someone other than this guy on the case.

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3063179
  7. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. TBR

Oddometer:
    Well ~ here we go again by the looks of developments ~ wonder what type of bike / brand they are going to rebadge as "Cyclone" for 2018...
    We love the limited edition 2017 @dakar decals on this #RX3. Expect to see us at #Dakar2018

ZSatDAKARagain.jpg
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    clickbait.

Has nothing to do with the Zong Rally bike, the NC450 motor...nothing but a RX3 painted pretty with Dakar tank badge.
  10. TBR

Oddometer:
  11. TBR

Oddometer:
    Lets wait and see how they end up on the KTM 450 Rally Replica bikes not some rebadge "Zongshen 450 Cyclone" (Yamaha) this time around...

Zhao Hongyi https://www.dakar.com/en/competitor/116
    The host of a TV show dedicated to motorsport, China's Zhao Hongyi has been taking part in domestic rallies for the past 10 years, but his first experience overseas was one to forget. In 2017, he entered the Dakar on the first 100% Chinese rally bike, produced by Zongshen, but he was forced to abandon after just one stage. Undeterred, he returns in 2018 with the Daming Racing Team, along with fellow compatriot Zhang Min and talented Spanish rider Armand Monleon, who finished 10th on his maiden Dakar in 2016. After a convincing performance at this summer's Taklimakan Rally, where he finished fifth, Zhao is ready to sink his teeth into the Dakar once again, and says that this time around he is determined to make it through to the finish line in Cordoba.

Zhang Min https://www.dakar.com/en/competitor/117
    After a disappointing first Dakar experience in 2017 with Zongshen - which saw him abandon the rally after the opening stage - Chinese rider Zhang Min is back in 2018 with the Daming Racing Team, determined to learn from last year's mistakes. Having managed an impressive second-placed finish behind Spanish teammate Armand Monleon at the Taklimakan Rally in June, the 40-year-old is ready to take on more responsibility as he tackles the epic journey from Lima to Cordoba.

IMG_6580.jpg
    malignity likes this.