Zookon With Driller-Edisto Island

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by driller, Jan 8, 2008.

1. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    This is for my pals who are freezing their beads off in New England...Miss ya!

Now that I have retired, work schedules don't get in the way of riding plans and my card for the O.F.R.A.T. (Old Farts Riding Any Time)group arrived.:D :gerg
    A window in the weather looked like it was going to open up and some traveling was in order.
    Destination.....the beach and some fresh seafood at Edisto Island SC.:wings
    Loaded up and ready to go.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The beach is about 300 miles that way....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The plan was to let gravity suck me down to the coast by back roads and cowpaths as much as possible.
    Sunday morning is pretty quiet and there was little traffic. A place offering some refreshment beckoned.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Rats! The place was closed....like forever.
    Couldn't get any gas at this joint either.:huh
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Oh well, it must be Sunday in the country....no one is open.
    Generally following a route called The Discovery Trail I rode through small towns and lots of open countryside. You see a lot of things riding along. Like five deer running across a harvested cornfield, the wisps of cotton left from the picking and even dogs lying amongst goat herds serving as their protectors. Old barns, rusty farm equipment, and interesting places like this pop up here and there.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Get a Moon Pie and you are set.:norton
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    After your snack just put a pinch between your gum and cheek and the day gets even better.:rofl
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Quiz time...what do South Carolina and New Hampshire have in common?
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I can remember making a pack of those things last all day. A lot of ant hills and tin cans went up in smoke.:evil
    By now I knew I was in the "LowCountry". The roads were a lot flatter and straighter and I was motoring through a lot of swamp and river bottom country. The sunlight sparkled through the cypress and gum trees on the wet places. No pics....you have to be down in there in a canoe or pirogue to really see and feel the swamp.
    After about 310 miles I arrive at Edisto Beach State Park.:clap
    With the days being short, there was just time to set up camp and enjoy some of the surroundings.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The tide was almost high and this sandcastle wasn't going to last long. That was about the only sign of anyone on the beach.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    With camp squared away, it was time to find something to eat. I rode around a bit and found a place on the South end of the island called Sunset. It sits above docks for sport and commercial fishing boats and look like the place to be. Dinner is served!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I certainly got my weeks worth of cholesterol.:eek1 I rarely can't finish a platter of shrimp, but this one made me cry uncle! The waitress said they came off a shrimp boat that was docked right next door. They had not been out the last few days due to cold weather but today was so nice they went out for a good haul.
    She sez.."You ain't gonna get 'em fresher than that, Honey" as she refills my glass of sweet tea.:freaky
    Back to camp for an evening of sitting out on the beach and some relaxation.
    Set the chair out near the water, lit up a nice Dominican a friend gave me and enjoyed a taste of some Pusser's Rum. Cool temps=no bugs. :clap What a night!
    No moon and little light pollution made for some great stargazing. Saw the space station pass over...made me think of that Stones lyric "I was hauling ass along..". A couple of shooting stars zipped past while the constellations chased one another across the sky.
    All the while I was wondering what it was like back in Maine right now.:lol3
    Life is good.:bubba
    Haven't gone to sleep to the sound of the surf at my back door in a long time. c
    Cool temps in the 40's made for a good snooze.....heavenly!
    The next day dawned with everything wet from sea fog, but the skies cleared pretty quickly and I took a walk for some breakfast and photos.
    The marshes on the back side of the island.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I love the gnarly live oaks.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    They do call this "The Palmetto State" for a good reason....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The beach is just over to the right.:thumb
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Time to break camp and head back to the "Upcountry":ricky
    The architecture of the Lowcountry is pleasing....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    and that of the foothills can be interesting too....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The ride home was nice. Temps in the 60-70's, blue skies and plenty to see and think about.....
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks for coming along for the ride. I know I will be returning.:jose
  2. birdman

birdman No registered bikes

Oddometer:
    Driller dude. Good report. Feels warmer up here already.
    Studded tires for the play bike is in my future.:wink:

Regards,
    Jeff
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report and pics.. :thumb we're in a heat wave over here... but it won't last! :(:
  4. Cutter

Cutter Girivek

Oddometer:
    Nice job my friend!! We missed you today on our little "tuesday hookey ride".......Cutter
  5. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Mike.... I feel warmer already... :D
    Thanks,
    rd
  6. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Wolfman Enduro Bag, Rob.:wave

Dave, good to hear youse guys got out.:freaky
  7. metlcutr55

metlcutr55 LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer:
    damn Driller, beautiful country, beautiful weather, palm trees and the beach, more fried shrimps than you can eat and pussers too!?! yer killin me heh. i dunno if ill ever reach a condition of having expendable income combined with a short work load, but if i do, im hoping i can get the grand tour down there! Dave and i did have a nice day, sweet to get in 150 or so in snow hampshire in jan!
  8. mel brooks

mel brooks Dirt Chick

Oddometer:
    Nice backroads trip Mike! I love seeing the country away from the interstates. Much more interesting....

I love Edisto, go several times a year. Sunset Grill is a really good eatery...glad you caught them with some fresh shrimp on hand. Nothing like getting them right off the boat.

Those pics were wonderful, brought back many fond memories. A good cigar, rum, and the sound of the surf right on the beach.....well, that's just heaven. :1drink

Very nice report, you made me jealous my friend!

:D

Mel
  9. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    You suck....in the nicest possible way, of course. :clap

Looks like a great ride!! :beer
  10. davep

davep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Driller:
    Now I REALLY hate you.<GRIN>
    You're missing walking through the January thaw slop in anticipation of the next round of cold and snow.
    A VERY jealous
    Dave
  11. captain crunch

captain crunch huckleberry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second what Andrew said.
    Good to hear from you.
  12. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:
    Nice story and pictures. Any chance you could make the pictures bigger?
  13. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they did come out a bit small. I had a default setting for "e-mail/forums" on when I downloaded them. Next time.......
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  14. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike glad your enjoying things down south, As far as freezing...well I wouldnt change a thing :D

[​IMG]
  15. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    I bet you could hit 90 by that next bend in the trail, Tim.
    If you are going to live there.....embrace it! (winter, that is.)
    Does hammering the throttle on that sled count as an "embrace"????:drif