Zookon with Driller-Triple Play

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by driller, Dec 3, 2008.

1. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    It was a crisp, clear day here in the mountains of North Carolina. The thermometer showed 28f on my back porch, but the promise of some warmer temps later in the day convinced me it was a good day for a ride. When the temps are a bit low I usually go "down" into South Carolina. So, today was an opportunity to take a "Triple Play" ride.
    Riding my bike, flat water paddling and history are three of my favorite activities and today's ride would mix all three.:clap
    The mission....follow some back roads down into South Carolina to do some scouting for some take in-take out spots on the TYGER River and see a couple of historic sites.

Heading North on highway 11, a.k.a the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway, took me through vast peach and fruit orchards to Chesnee.
    The peach orchards are in slumber mode now.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

and the strawberries are already in....ummmm, can't wait till spring.:nod
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Rolling on to Chesnee I decided to stop for a bite at the Bantam Chef.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Neat place and pretty good grub. The owner is a real fan of Studebakers. Along with a BMW Isetta and a couple of Harley Hummers sits a 1950 Studebaker coupe inside!. Sorry, no food shot since the camera batteries died and I was going to have get some down the road.
    Funny, the gas pumps here weren't working, but it's still pretty cheap at $1.57/gal. :shog
    [​IMG][/IMG]

After lunch, I worked my way around the North side of Spartanburg towards the Enoree district of Sumter NF on some rural roads that provided some entertaining riding with gentle hills and nice sweepers.
    Along the way a little history popped up......
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The small town of Glenn Springs. The town was a resort many yrs ago and is full of some beautiful Ante-Bellum homes.

Off on my TYGER hunt......:ricky
    But wait! More history jumps up!
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Riding back to see this site, I got to do some on the pegs riding over some gravel and dirt roads.:evil The battle at Blackstock was the first time Tarleton tasted defeat, but the victory was at the expense of Gen Sumter being wounded.

After that little bit of exploring I found the first of the landing spots on the TYGER.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The water on this stretch of the river has settled some after tumbling down over the fall line and is recommended in some paddling guides for longer, overnight float trips. Water is very low due to an extended drought in this area.Further downstream another landing that just happened to have a "little" history was next.

Rose Hill Plantation.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This was the home of then Governor William H. Gist, also known as "South Carolina's Secession Governor". He was reputed to be quite the duelist and was not one you would want to insult.:eek1

The lower red flag is the "Blood Red Flag of Secession". The crescent is upside down to represent the times.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The top one is the SC battle flag...not the "stars and bars" that was actually the Naval ensign before it was adopted as the battle flag of the Eastern Army of the Confederacy.

Did I say it was a beautiful day?
    Still some color on the oaks down there......
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I checked out a landing where the cotton from the plantation was sent down stream to the Broad River and beyond.
    I have always found roads that are near rivers are a treat to ride. The curves flow like those on the river.:D
    Heading back home, I took a short cut across the NF and had some more dirt/gravel sport.

BTW, there is an OHV park in this part of Sumter NF called Enoree that is great fun. Some of us went down for some riding this summer and had a ball!:rilla http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/rec/EnoreeOHV.pdf

Coming back on the highway another handsome old place required a stop.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    The marker said Jeff Davis stopped here during his retreat from Richmond.
    Well, days are getting shorter now and it was time to hit some highway in order to get home before dark and the temps started to drop.

The things we ponder when riding the slab.....
    [​IMG][/IMG]:huh
    Who is Bob? Who Bob is? Hmmmmmm.

When I see this, I know am almost home.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Riding solo? You always have company........:bmwrider
    This guy stuck right with me all day.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

There is so much history to see and learn in this corner of South Carolina. I look forward to exploring more back roads and visit many more of these places.
    Till then.......:wave
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had a good day on two wheels! thanks for posting :thumb
  3. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Hey Driller!!
    Looks like you had a good day in the "Good" Carolina :thumb

Watch out for this guy.....I hear he's trouble.:lol3
  4. XR Superman

XR Superman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report :thumb

It's been too long since I've been in that area.
  5. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Very nice. I missed that part of the day. I got home a little after dark, and just stopped shivering a little while ago.
  6. vfrcauv

vfrcauv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Driller,

Looks like a nice ride. Great photos. I like heading down to SC when it is a little cool. Here is a shot of two guys (you may know them) on Maple Sally changing a tube: :D

[​IMG]
  7. mel brooks

mel brooks Dirt Chick

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Mike, love those history reports. :clap
  8. ETrider

ETrider Gawker

Oddometer:
    Good report and nice pics driller! Looks like you had a fun ride.:clap
  9. BlueBuell

BlueBuell Banned

Oddometer: