1. eNewsletter Sign Up

ZTechnik VStream Tall Touring Windshield (F800GS)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by interceptor1972, Jan 15, 2019.

1. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After researching high and low on different windshield options for my 2017 F800GS, I finally decided on a VStream Tall Touring Windshield (Z2493) from ZTechnik/National Cycle. This was one that I didn't see much information on here; so I figured I'll post a pic or two for those that might be curious on what it looks like.

My initial impressions are that it's an excellent Touring windshield! I'm 6' and with the Seat Concepts seat, the top of the shield is just below my line of sight - so I'm looking over and not through. The wind is deflected around me to the left and right and substantially higher up - almost above the helmet where there's practically no buffeting that I can feel. Makes for a nice, HUGE bubble to sit in. I just put this on last night, so I haven't had much of a chance to take it out on a long ride, but this should be light years better than the stock shield.

I should add that, it required the use of mirror extension brackets so that the mirrors didn't make contact with the windshield at full lock.

Side profile:
    IMG_0906.jpg

Front profile:
    IMG_0908.jpg
    xsf18cdf and morfic like this.
  2. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much did you enjoy changing out the screws and washers holding the lights?
    I have the shortest F800GS VStream on my F700GS.
    It's great, if I could stomach the look of the tall screens I'd love to experience it (cured its lacking length with an added laminar lip), seeing how much pressure it took off my chest.

I noticed an increase in MPG even..until that went away because I rode it harder.

You'll be enjoying that screen, especially in winter :)
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  3. interceptor1972

Oddometer:
    Oh you're not kidding!! That's gotta be the most PITA install ever. It wouldn't be half bad but having to take the headlight bolts off and fiddle with the washer between the headlight and the mount while trying to thread the bolt through the windshield and that insert had me cussing up a storm in the garage!!!

But painful install aside, I do like the outcome. I'm with you on that I'm not a fan of the tall look, but as I get older, I've learnt to consider function over form. Would've loved to go shorter on the height but at this, I'm looking right over the top of the windshield and that bubble fits me perfectly. Made A HUGE a improvement. And got it on an open box special for $149. So wasn't bad. Only worry is having to relocate the mirrors out with those goofy brackets worries me. If the bike ever drops on the right, that bracket will shear the front brake reservoir right off!!!
    Tigershark48 and morfic like this.
  4. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
  5. interceptor1972

Oddometer:
    Is that on the stock F700 screen? I did look at the Vario Touring screen but the price on that is about the same as a full windshield. And I wasn't sure if it'd be enough.
  6. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    The last picture is not on the stock F700 screen.

MRA sells the lip alone to clamp on any screen like Morfic’s vstream. They also make a full screen with the lip permanently attached like mine. Mine is identified as an MRA Vario Touring Screen. The lip can be moved fully up, fully down or somewhere in between to get the optimum position. Same is true for their clamp on lip. I put mine all the way up for my street helmet and all the way down for my dual purpose helmet with its beak visor. I’m 5’ 11” with 32” inseam and it works very well. I’m never in a perfect bubble as described with the tall vstream, but I still have very adequate protection without any buffeting. I believe the tall vstream offers the most protection, but it’s just too big for my taste. It took me a while with the MRA, but I’m fine with it now. Seeing a lot of them on other bikes somehow makes it more normal.

Attached Files:

7. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has a BMW S1000XR with the MRA Vario Touring Screen. He’s around 6’ 3”, so he called them and had one custom made in a taller version based on their recommendation. He said it’s the 5th or 6th screen he’s tried and it’s by far the best.

The S1000XR comes with a standard screen adjustment bracket that’s super rugged. It can be purchased separately from BMW. My friend and I compared his bike and mine side by side trying to figure out if I could mount a new bracket on my F700, but it didn’t match up and couldn’t realistically be done to get the same result. Too bad, because it’s a great feature. Madstad makes a fully adjustable bracket for various model bikes, but it’s nowhere near as solid and robust as the S1k mount.
  8. interceptor1972

Oddometer:
    See when I researched windshields, and saw the MRA, all I saw was mostly the lip alone to clip on or do a permanent install. And those that used it did like it, but mentioned that it didn't fully block out the wind - just deflected it elsewhere. Didn't realize that they actually made a full Windshield with the lip.
  9. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Visit their website to see different choices. By the I also have the Seat Concepts Touring seat.
  10. interceptor1972

Oddometer:
    I did see it after you mentioned it. Little too late now that I've already gone with the VStream, but for what it's worth, I'm pleased with the VStream on the functionality. I was able to achieve my goal at a reasonable price.

How're you liking your SC Seat? I'm yet to do any serious distance on it but I've done a 300-mile round trip on it, which I'd also done on the stock seat. Once the weather warms up a bit here, I'll take her out on a 600-700 mile day and see how it does.