Zumo 396 Blue Tooth

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by magellan44, Apr 28, 2020.

1. magellan44

magellan44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I tried to find a past thread prior to starting a new one but I didn't find anything that answered my questions.

OK, I've had other GPS's in the past. I have a Zumo 396 that I have connected to two bikes, a 2015 K1300S and a 2017 F800GS. My questions are about keeping it and the Cardo Freecom4+ and the iPhone 6 all playing well together. Now they are all Blue Toothed together but they don't stay connected for some reason. (I've been considering a newer iPhone) but I don't know if that would help.

My procedure how I begin a ride, this seems to work best.
    1. Turn on the Cardo unit in the helmet
    2. Turn on the Zumo 396 or just start the motorcycle because the GPS comes on automatically because I have both motorcycles wired to the accessory plug under the Tupperware.
    3. Turn on the iPhone 6 and start my music.

From that point on it seems pretty seamless, I do get a bit of jumpiness occasionally but nothing that I'm going to worry about here.
    Then I stop somewhere to lets say talk to a friend, I do not shut anything off I just take my helmet off and hold it in my hand or place it on the bike for example. After 10-20 minutes I get back on the bike put my helmet on and nothing is working with each other. The Zumo 396 is off and takes some coaching to start back up, the Blue Tooth connection is lost and there I am trying to figure it out again. This also would happen with my Zumo 550. WHY, won't then stay connected? And, why does it take an act of God to get them working with each other again. I open the phone settings app and I go to the Blue Tooth settings and they are all disconnected.

Then the next day they will play well together until I have to stop somewhere and it's like Ground Hog Day again. Repeat procedure to try to get them to work together again.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
  2. jvazquez

jvazquez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might want to check sleep/power savings/etc settings on each device. They could be disconnecting due to one or more of the devices going to sleep or disconnecting bluetooth due to inactivity.

Or, it could be something totally different...
  3. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've found that connecting using steps 1,2,3 in order work best. When the 396 goes to sleep (presumably because you turned off the ignition), you are effectively trying to connect in 1,3,2 order. A minute or two after the ignition goes off, the 396 should give you an opportunity to cancel the shutdown, which will maintain the Bluetooth connections using internal GPS battery power.
  4. magellan44

magellan44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see what you fellows are saying. By turning off the ignition I’m breaking the connection from helmet to gps then to phone. I’m going to try shutting the helmet com off first then the ignition and the phone will just be in sleep mode until it is awaken again.

Then on Restart I’ll start with the intercom first then the gps which in turn will automatically wake the iPhone up. I’m going to try that sequence next time I go out for a ride

Thank you both for the suggestions
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I just got a 396 and I'm a bluetooth idiot. I just have a cheap bluetooth headset ("V6"). I first tried pairing iPone to headset then Zumo to headset. Figured out I have to pair headset to Zumo, then pair phone to Zumo. Seems to work in the house, and I shut the headset and Zumo down then turned back on and all paired successfully. Need to try it on the bike.
  6. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, maybe this is MY problem.

Have the cardo packtalk bold, 396 and Moto g6.

The ptb and g6 are paired to GPS, and the g6 and GPS are paired to PTB. Perhaps I shouldn't have the g6 paired to both, and only to the GPS?
  7. magellan44

magellan44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm finding that I turn on the Cardo first, then turn on the ignition which automatically turns on the 396 within a minute or so the my iPhone 6 automatically connects to the Garmin 396. Yesterday everything was good for the first 40 miles and then the phone disconnected for some reason. I didn't try to reconnect because I was at my appointment and immediately after my appointment I hooked up with a few riding buddies and we put another 100 miles just following each other on back roads so really didn't take time to try the re-connect. I just need to spend a day out on one of the bikes to find the sequence that works best. Shut down is usually my problem, I don't take the time to shut down the Cardo first and then the Garmin 396.
  8. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never had anything but constant frustration trying to use the 3-way connection on my 595. I imagine the 396 isn't much different. And Mercedes cars- they must have the most powerful bluetooth system ever. Any time I got near one of them, my Zumo would lose it. It just couldn't cope at all. Then, if you go off to the intercom for a while and come back, it's like the Zumo switched to an AM radio and the sound quality goes all to crap.

I use phone-to-bluetooth for most of my needs. I can voice control my phone and use the Sena for basic functions. If I need turn-by-turn (which I almost never do) then I disconnect from the phone and connect to the Zumo and listen to the MP3's I put on it's memory card.

BTW, you don't have to pair your phone for audio or telephone for the Zumo to get BT data for traffic and weather. Acutally, you do... pair it, and then turn those off in the menu on your phone.

There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get these things to work right. It's clear that Garmin places a high value on including the idea of a good BT system in their models, but a low priority on programming it to function correctly.
  9. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been using my 396, moto G6, PTB for a few days now and it's all working great.

Few things I've found. While on bike, if my phone is in my back pocket, it'll randomly disconnect/connect. Putting phone in tank bag solved this.

Turning on PTB, phone connects immediately after hello. The 396 takes a bit longer to show phone connected and to connect to PTB.

IDK if my phone has a bt priority setting, but it always automatically connects to 396. However, with the 395, I have to go-to bt connected devices on phone and select 395, then connect.