1. eNewsletter Sign Up

zumo 550 hard wire....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cdo1uk, Jun 3, 2010.

1. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a Garmin zumo 550 and want to haed wire it in, only i have heard of this flatteding batteries... is this the case?

also.... where to hard wire it, direct to the battery? or is there a plug i can fit to to power it off with the ignition?

thanks
    Moistus likes this.
  2. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would really depend on what type of bike you have but with the F800GS, it was simply a matter of tying into the extra connector under the top panel. Never had a problem. Zumo 450.
  3. WEE4ME

WEE4ME Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have mine wired to the battery on my 650 VStrom for over a year without a problem. The reason I did this is when for example when stopping for fuel you and shut the bike down you don't have to reprogram the GPS. I once left the GPS on over night and the bike had no problem starting.
  4. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Assuming you have the F650GS/F800GS there's a GPS connector plug under the tank panel. You will need one of these for the Zumo power cable: http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shoper/AccessoryConnector006.jpg

You might want to view this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260497. There are several other threads, IIRC, that describe connecting the Garmin Zumo series to both the R12GS and F-twin-GS, use the Search function.

I've had a Zumo 450 wired into my F8GS for the past year with no issues.
  5. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    I think this is the case if you try to route it into the CanBus. My wife hardwired her 550 and I hard wired my 650. But not thru the canbus.

I did some looking around as well and came across these threads.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

I still have mine hard wired for now, but plan on going thru an Centech or similar in the future to support more gadgets - and because I think its a better set up.
  6. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the help guys.... Yes i have an F800GS..... (see avatar pic and GS twin section) :D
  7. csgift

csgift Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cdo1uk,

I have an F800Gs and I installed the Zumo 550 last October. I hooked it up through the CANBus using a BMW part, going through the spare CANBus connector located next to the battery. 3 days after doing so, my battery was dead.

For the next 5 months I struggled with the problem of being unable to keep my battery charged and I posted many times on ADV seeking help, and the general consensus was 1) rides were too short (not enough time to recharge my battery) OR 2) bad battery.

Two months ago I purchased a new battery, and after 2 weeks that one was dead as well. I couldn't believe I had two bad batteries.

Note that I NEVER left the GPS on the bike after I parked the it (I park the bike in an public garage) and so I couldn't be draining the battery by leaving the unit on by accident.

Then I recalled that all my troubles started just a few days after I hooked up the Zumo. So I came to believe -- and I don't know how it was doing it -- that the CANBus connection was draining my battery, despite the fact that no GPS unit was attached when it was parked.

So I disconnected the CANBus connector and connected the Zumo directly to the battery. Since then, not a problem and my battery is great.

I did have one other, minor issue, with hooking it through the CANBus. If I started the bike and then plugged in the GPS, the bike would not supply power to the GPS unit. I had to have the GPS unit plugged in first before starting the bike. Then and only then would it power the unit.

Cheers

Chris
  8. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, but some of us turn off the avatar display (and sig lines for that matter).... ;)
  9. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you make a good point.... errrr..... errr... whatever :D
  10. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Connect it through a fuse block and avoid any problems. A search will find a few threads about installing fuse blocks, etc.
  11. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I avoid wiring anything into the CANTBus.
  12. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why?
  13. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Because wiring things into the canbus can cause minor problems. Foxes attack children, quiet men go on rampages, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and even global pandemics. It's just common sense really.
  14. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now, i thought this but didnt say anything for soundsing like a complete nob... now i have seen in in type, i am glad i didnt say anything...:evil
  15. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wiring mine to the Canbus gave me a much more secure feeling of winning the upcoming Lottery.:lol3
  16. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:
    Oh dear. The beginning of a sentence needs a capital letter and the "I" referring to yourself should not be lower case. Sounding is spelled incorrectly and "nob" should be "knob". "Didn't" should have a comma in the place I have put it. Shall I continue because I can. In short, you have still managed to sound like a "nob". Well done on Bikepics pic of the day, by the way.
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Akshully, it's spelled "n00b." Thankuverymuch.
  18. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knob, to open a door... Nob, cock, you..........:D

Bloody silly grey 800 rider.
  19. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    I installed a nuvi 500 about 2 months ago and no issues, installed into the connector located under the top cover, I think I used wires 1 and 3 turns off with the key with about a min delay. No battery problems.
  20. jtw000

jtw000 Survivor

Oddometer:

Man's colour.