1. eNewsletter Sign Up

zumo 550 hard wire....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cdo1uk, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah.....just get this plug from your BMW dealer Part #PN is 83300413585 Then solder it onto the end of the Garmin power plug and connect to the mate sitting next to the battery. No issues, Canbus or otherwise. No dead batteries, nice clean install and the Zumo power is now keyed, so once the bike is shutdown it will ask you if you want to continue on battery power or not. Total install time is about 10 minutes.

[​IMG]
  2. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for that... and its yellow, must be right.
  3. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Does the fancy plug method require any particular type of GPS to trigger computer recognition, or will anything work? I've just upgraded to a Garmin Oregon and have it wired to the battery direct, but the plug seems... neater.
  4. R75/5

R75/5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --> </style> Wired a nuevi 510 over this plug: True, installed in 10min, very clean.
    However, my personal experience: In-flight entertainment system (TPS) stays occasionally on, so battery on several occasions deep discharged. A story that occurs frequently enough so that there is meanwhile apparently a BMW service bulletin discouraging this …

Fix: Use the same plug to pull a standard automotive relay, which allows to connect the GPS directly to the battery. Functionality 100% equivalent (auto on/off), installed in 12min, 5$ more expensive, no headache.
    Your choice.
  5. ecce

ecce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have used the canbus method and worked like a charm all the time. Would not consider to go directly to the battery.
  6. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've heard of this too. Might stick with the battery hookup, since it's already done and I'm both lazy and tight :)
  7. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dead battery senerio:
    Zumo connected to canbus circuit.
    Done with ride, turn off Zumo.
    Turn off ignition.
    30 seconds or so later the canbus circuit powers down (it does not shut down when the ignition is turned off - it has a delay).
    When the canbus turns off the Zumo senses the loss of power and turns on (don't ask me why it does this).
    It then draws power from the bike's battery (don't understand how it does this, but it does) and the battery goes dead.

Solution: hard wire to the battery. I did it thru a FuzeBlock, but you have to use the "not switched" option. (If you use the switched option and use the GPS plug/canbus for the switch signal you haven't solved the problem).

If you hardwire the Zumo it stays on when you fuel up so you don't have to re-start it, and you have a single track record.
  8. Pete O Static

Oddometer:

Dan

In the scenario you described above, you will most certainly drain the battery. The trick is NOT TO TURN OFF THE ZUMO before turning off the ignition.

Just shut the bike down normally. After a short delay, the canbus powers down at which point the Zumo senses that and asks "if you wish to continue on battery power". If you do not answer this message, the Zumo automatically powers itself down and is isolated from the canbus.

The beauty of this feature is that the rider never ever needs to turn the Zumo on or off. It comes on with the ignition and shuts down with the ignition after a short delay. If you stop for fuel, you can answer "yes" when the Zumo asks if you wish to continue on battery power and keep it navigating while you refuel.

Cheers
  9. cdo1uk

cdo1uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so save all this messing about, ive fitted a plug to the cable and now if i want the sat nav powered up i plug it into the bikes lighter type socket...
  10. Pete O Static

Oddometer:
    That will have the exact same affect as hard wiring it to the spare plug, except of course you can easily unplug it each time.:evil If you leave the socket plugged in, the Zumo will turn on and off as the socket gets powered and unpowered with the ignition. Try to get in to the habit of not using the power switch on the Zumo itself while it is in a powered cradle. If you turn it off then power down the bike, it has a nasty habit of booting up again as you walk away.
  11. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    Pete,
    Interesting - has some advantages.
    Biggest disadvantage for me - having to learn a new habit, and being sure that I don't use the Zumo power switch.
    But I might give it a try because then I don't have to remember to turn it on.
  12. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this connector came to me in the mail Friday. It has three wires, whereas my Garmin outlet has two...positive and negative. Does anyone know how to tell which two yellow wires to use?

13. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    I think it was wire 1 and 3 and just tape back wire 2, can't remember witch wire was hot, I think 3 you can find out with a test light. Just make sure you turn the key on when checking.
  14. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! This made for a super easy and clean installation...
  15. RedHawk47

Oddometer:
    Update: I changed my GPS wiring so that it is switched by the Canbus plug (Actually the Canbus plug switches my Fuzeblock; changed the fuse location to switched).

Pete - Thanks for the suggestion. I like it. It now functions like the radio in my truck - I don't have to turn it on or off - it does it by itself -- actually when I turn the ignition on or off. I don't have to remember to turn it off. When I'm filling the gas tank I can remember to tell it to stay on if I want a continous log, but if I forget I can fix the log on the computer.

My new preferred Zumo gps connection setup - summary.
    1. wire to switched circuit
    2. don't use the power button on the GPS
  16. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've got a Centech AP2 fuse box (wired to BMW power connector for switched fuses), the BMW GPS wire setup for my Zumo 550 and I have on occasion a battery drain problem, an intermittent problem. All wiring installed by competent BMW tech's and checked by other dealers over the last two years yet I still have to keep the bike on a charger if I want it to start after not riding a few days. Nothing worse on a trip when you slip the GPS into it's mount in the morning and it powers right up before you've stuck a key in the ignition!

I think the original poster was worried about CANBUS anomalies and I think his worry is justified, but there's something else there, too. I'm open to suggestions before I take it to yet another dealer....
  17. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This question may have been answered before so excuse the repeat, but can't a regular pigtail (as used with a Battery Tender) hard wired directly to the battery operate a zumo 665 or any other model?
  18. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    So threw down for the 665 as I wanted the XM and weather stuff. Cannot believe how many posts there are as to how to wire this sucker. I really dont want to pay the dealer to do something that should be so easy but all this makes it sound hard... to the CAN bus or not, soldering, Fuse packs repair connectors:huh... Why cant you simply use the black and red wires that Garmin provided and wire it right to the battery?? Why would they sell it that way if its not going to work? They would have massive returns and I refuse to spend 80 bucks for Touratechs CAN bus adaptor...thats just nuts.
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the power adapter that steps the voltage down from the line level.....13-15 volts....to 5 volts....utilizes a series of diodes, and some capacitors.... Even when the gps is switched off.... They will usually have a idle current going through them.....Not much..... But just enough to slowly discharge your battery, and perhaps leave it dead one day...... It`s really up to your preference...... But that`s why many like it switched.... :thumb:thumb

Erling