1. eNewsletter Sign Up

zumo 550 hard wire....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by cdo1uk, Jun 3, 2010.

1. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have several bikes equipped with Zumos, and I have always hard wired directly to the battery. I have measured the Zumo current draw in the charging state, and it is about 0.5 Amps. The Garmin supplied power cable is fused, so you need not install an additional fuse block. IMO, this is the simplest way to go and avoids any issues, small as they might be, involving the Canbus. A couple of crimped lugs after routing the cable to the battery and you are done.
  2. TBickell

TBickell And away we GO !!

Oddometer:
    Thanks all... my problem is I am just not that electrically inclined when it comes to motorcycles and just dont know how to make something "switched" or Un switched" .. dont know what "tinning" means. Dont own a soldering gun etc. So as Tmex has said just wire it directly to the battery seems to be the easiest way and probably the only way I can do it . I just dont understand why wiring it to the ready made CAN bus plug under the fairing would be a bad idea. Or even connecting the Zumo wires to an SAE plug and plugging it into the battery tender plug. That way you could also un-plug it easily everytime the bike is going to sit for awhile.
  3. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    There are no bad ideas here, just different. Do what you feel comfortable doing and have the satisfaction and understanding of what you have done.
  4. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Update from me: I hard-wired my Garmin Oregon using the Garmin-supplied wiring kit direct to the battery. Dead simple. No battery life issues.
  5. Anti

Anti Νέος

Oddometer:
    You can just use the socket! I have put on Zumo's bracket a plug (see photo) and on handle bar I have permanently the Ram hex ball only, so I put the Zumo's bracket whenever I need it! Note that the socket has electrical supply only when the ingnition is on:) and you don't have any loss....

In the past I had permanently the whole set on my previous bike (a Dakar ;)) and after 2 years the bracket short-circuited :)
  6. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not wire it to the same access point as the handwarmers wiring? That way when your bike is off you will not have any power to the Garmin mount which sucks electricity even when the GPS is off the mount. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  7. TBickell

Oddometer:
    So after much deliberation and input ( thanks all )I wired my Zumo 665 the following way.. Soldered a battery tender plug ( cut off from the extra alligator clips that I wont use ) onto the end of the Zumo wires and when I use the Nav..: I just plug it into the already conveniently located battery tender outlet. This way when I am done riding I can simply unplug the Nav from any power source. Easy. I mounted the XM antenna under the fairing behind the battery and the Zumo sits to the on the handle bar to the left in the supplied Ram mount and I got to say the whole set up is awesome. I did 100 plus miles of rough dirt roads and the thing never flinched. Now I just have to hook up my Scala G4 so I can go wireless.... The Zumo 665 aint cheap but it does everything and so much better than the BMW version IMHO.. :clap
  8. richard weed

richard weed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pics please?
  9. TBickell

Oddometer:
    pics posted in a few weeks.... the bike lives in AZ and O live mostly in CA..
  10. DUC54

DUC54 Giddy Up!!!

Oddometer:
    It worked awesome!!! I was with him playing in the dirt. No failures, and very dependable. Quick disconect at night...so no battery draw!! Good Job TBickell!!!