Zumo 550: How to delete Logs, Routes, etc….

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ejtv, Jun 6, 2014.

1. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    How do I delete all files and data listed under the "Import Data" section of Zumo 550 (favorites, routes and trip logs)?

I know how to delete these items from the "Where to" portion of the GPS, after they have been imported using the "import data" function, but I want them deleted from the unit itself so that when I transfer new data from map source to the unit, for example, after planning a trip with waypoints, favorites, tracks, etc., I only see in the "Import Data" section the new data I just transferred, rather than everything else I have had there before mixed in.

I know how to delete the trip log, but that does not help cleaning up the "Import Data" section of the GPS.

I have tried using my iMAC to look inside the Garmin files and I have sent to the trashcan all files inside the GPX folder. I don't think that helps. Perhaps there are other files I can delete using my computer. Just don't know which ones.

Thank you in advance to whomever can help.

======

If anyone else is struggling with this, I found the answer to the question "How to delete all the files inside "User Data"/"Import Data"/ "Favorites," "Routes" and "Trip Logs" that are in the background clogging up your Zumo.

If you have a Mac, like I do:

1) plug in the Zumo
    2) go to Finder and find the Zumo
    3) find all your the GPX files
    4) send them to the Trash
    5) EMPTY THE TRASH (this was the last step I was missing. Unless you empty it, the files will still be there in the Zumo)

Contrary to what has been posted here, you do have to use Finder, delete directly from the Zumo and bypass Basecamp.

Hope this helps someone out there.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming the Zumo is similar to the behaviour of my Oregon, use BaseCamp. Connect the Zumo to your Mac, select the GPS (under "My Garmin Devices") in the top-right of the BaseCamp window. Anything that is displayed there is actually stored in the Zumo. You can delete whatever you no longer want on the Zumo.
  3. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    Yes, but what exactly to delete is the issue. I don't want to delete something that I would
    Later regret, I don't know, for example, a map.

I already deleted anything that said GPX but the stuff inside "import data" still appears listed to import into the Zumo. I have files inside the Zumo ending in XML, img, sum, gcd, bin, gtt, srf, JPEG, gpi and vpm. I assume one or more of those contain what I want to delete....but which ones?
  4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use BaseCamp to delete things, do not randomly delete files from the Zumo.
  5. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    If anyone else is struggling with this, I found the answer to the question "How to delete all the files inside "User Data"/"Import Data"/ "Favorites," "Routes" and "Trip Logs" that are in the background clogging up your Zumo.

If you have a Mac, like I do:

1) plug in the Zumo
    2) go to Finder and find the Zumo
    3) find all your the GPX files
    4) send them to the Trash
    5) EMPTY THE TRASH (this was the last step I was missing. Unless you empty it, the files will still be there in the Zumo)

Contrary to what has been posted here, you do have to use Finder, delete directly from the Zumo and bypass Basecamp.

Hope this helps someone out there.
  6. Wiel

Wiel www.Good-ADV.com

Oddometer:
    Thanks EJTV, this actually did work, I was struggling with the same issue.
    Now I have a "Clean Zumo" 550's with Maps only and no user data for import or hidden data.

Try to sell it :-)
  7. Brickflyer

Brickflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks EJTV !!!
  8. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three cheers for ejtv.

This is exactly the solution for which I had been looking.

Empty the Thrash...but, of course, and there are those who also claim Macs are so much more intuitive.

I first noticed this issue in 2012 when a friend used an iPad to load a GPX file. Didn't think that much about it at the time.

But several of us have since started using Macs and we couldn't figure out why old, supposedly deleted Favorites and Routes kept re-appearing as available for Import.

Now we know...
    havoc1 likes this.
  9. PJveetwin

PJveetwin LD-Ordie

Oddometer:
    I realize this is an older post, but gotta believe it's still an issue, at least it was with me......... I did use Finder to locate my 595, opened the 595, then found the file marked Garmin, then Archive GPX. Highlighted all the files inside and drug to the trash. I did not have to empty the trash, but did have to unplug the 595 then plug back in. Tracks are now gone. I did not have to do this until a recent software update?? Have had the GPS for 3 years and this is the first time I cleared my tracks on the 595 and then still came up showing them while plugged in to the computer. Of course it won't let you clear each one manually, says to do so on the GPS while disconnected. Glad I found this old thread!!