Zumo 550 - Repair?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by WeeBee, Mar 20, 2015.

1. aj7840

aj7840 n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the horror stories, but it takes forever (my download speed is 75+ mbps).
    First down load the full set new maps to your computer, Then download what you can to the Zumo. I download the rest via the garmin mapsource program. I haven't figured out how to do it in base camp so I use the Mapsource program (Garmins old mapping software) use the map icon to select all the maps you were not able to directly download and send to the devices SD card.
    I usually do a screen grab of what you can load directly, paste it into a word doc. to use as a guide of what additional maps are needed.
    grab a good book, a couple of hours later you are done.
    This way you have a full map set and the Garmin automatically works off the SD card
  2. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may give it a map. I haven't figured out the Basecamp enough to be proficient in its use. I HOPE I still have a copy of Mapsource squirreled away somewhere. That one made a little more sense to my feeble brain.

Thanks for the "inspiration." We'll see how it goes.
  3. aj7840

aj7840 n00b

Oddometer:
    Figured out how to do it with basecamp.
    With Basecamp open, Connect your Gamin to the computer.
    Basecamp will find the device (it will show as an area called devices)
    where it shows memory card of the device, right click on user data
    a new box opens
    left click on "install maps on device"
    brings up another box, click on continue in lower right
    when the map comes up, (left click selects, right click deselects)
    select what you want and follow the instructions
    after you select install it tells you it may take hours (remember the book park ;-) )
  4. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU!

May give it a try later today.
  5. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, "download the maps."

Program tells me that the map updates have been discontinued..... and when I get to the "continue" part, thee's no maps to upload so it is muted and not active.

So guess I need to ask where did you download the maps you used from?
  6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think we're good.

Garman insisted on making me use the Garmin Express, but come to find out it will not load to the memory card. Muddled around in it and found a place that allowed me to download the maps to my computer. Once I did that, I used your recommendation and a mapinstaller program started and had me select regions I wanted to load to the card, and it is doing that now. We'll see what we have when finished.

Gawd! What a PITA!
  7. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Success!!

I selected all the North America areas I think I'll be riding in for a spell. Getting up in years (76) and I can't do the straight through burns out to CO and the like, like I used to. We'll just have to stick to the east coast and a few out further west towards the Mississippi.

Much thanks for the impetus to take this on. My 550 came with lifetime upgrades from the local inmate I got it from back '09, but none of that came into play for this little exercise.

All the best, and safe riding.
  8. fossus

fossus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Same problem with Garmin Express but got this to work with both MapSource and Basecamp. City Navigator North America shows up in both sources on my laptop. Less than 15 minutes for the data transfer to my Zumo 550 SD card for five selected states. When you zoom out on the 550 map there are outlines around the maps you sent. First time I've seen that.