Zumo 550 Update Help

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by phideaux, Apr 16, 2020.

1. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Zumo 550 that I've had for years. Tried to update and I think all went well.
    But I can't tell for sure what maps I have on it. There is an SD card in the unit.

My Zumo tells me this:
    CN North America NT 2021.10
    [1] Canada

There is a 'check mark' before the "CN North America NT 2010.10"

What does this mean? Does this mean I have all of North America and Canada? or just Canada?

Or What?

Thanks

Fido:norton
  2. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have Canada and border states. The maps have become so large that that’s the only one that fits on the unit anymore., that’s why you don’t even get an option to choose anything else.
    Also, unlike later models, there is no option to save maps to an SD card while updating maps.
    The only way to get the entire North American mapset is to download to your computer and then install to the SD card on unit using Garmin Mapinstall.
  3. phideaux

Oddometer:
    That purty much answers THAT question. And yes, there was no option to download what I really wanted.
    So...can you walk me thru how to download to my computer and then install to the SD card on unit using Garmin Mapinstall ?

I'm pretty sure I have lifetime maps for this unit.

4. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure.
    First do the map update again. Before the download there should be an options or advanced tab. Lower bottom corner maybe. Click that. Here check the ‘computer only’ option. The maps will be downloaded to your PC or Mac. Couple hours to download.

Do you have the Garmin Mapinstall program? If not, download it here for your system
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

Open Mapinstall and pick the SD card for install location on the menu bar above the map. You then highlight portions of or entire North American mapset (if you have a large enough SD card) to install. The program should take it from there. Maybe another couple hours.
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  5. phideaux

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I believe I've got that all sorted now.

ADVer likes this.
  6. aciurczak

aciurczak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanted to update this thread in case google took anybody else here as it did myself tonight. As best as I can tell, we can no longer update the Zumo 550 with the current Garmin maps. This was all functional up through February 2021, when I last updated everything to maps version 2021.30 on Feb 2nd. But when I tried to update to the current 2022.10 maps, it's now broken. Here was what I have been doing for years to keep this gadget up to date:

Update for 550 2021.30 (2021-02-02)
    - Remove SD card
    - push 2021.30 straight to GPS via Garmin Express, also to PC to activate it (even if already there) - it only pushes Canada and Border States
    - only delete GMAPPROM.IMG on GPS itself (can leave gmapprom.gma)
    - Copy device memory contents to NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
    - unplug GPS
    - plug card into pc, format it blank
    - Use MapInstall to push all maps directly to SD card
    - Copy SD card contents to NAS (only necessary if you want a backup)
    - Remove SD card from PC
    - reinstall sd card into 550 and reboot the GPS

But with the current version of Garmin Express (7.6.0), when you try and push the maps to the device - it no longer gives any prompts about choosing a smaller mapset, it simply states that the device doesn't have enough memory - please contact Garmin for options. I went back to an earlier version of Garmin Express from a backup (7.1.3), but on launch that program forces an update to 7.4.1 - and that version has the same behavior as the current, it will not allow choosing a smaller mapset for these 2022.10 maps. With MapInstall - you can push the whole mapset to an SD card, but when you put that SD card back into the Zumo, on boot it will say "Can't unlock maps". That initial push of a small version of the mapset is necessary to get the unlock code to the Zumo so it can open the maps on the SD card, and that path looks like it's no longer available. If you try and use MapInstall to push directly to the Zumo, it will only show mapsets that have an unlock code created - it will not allow a push of the 2022.10 maps. I did try pushing a small piece from the ancient MapSource app, which allowed the push of some 2022.10 maps, but didn't provide the code, so the Zumo showed the same error on boot.

I was able to push the full 2022.10 update to a BMW Nav IV and its MicroSD card without an issue, so the mapset itself seems fine; it's not clear where or why Garmin broke the ability to push a small portion of the mapset to the Zumo 550. It's certainly been a good run with the 550, and as that's how my phone is connected back to my audio system, I'm not excited about having to upgrade/replace it.

Safety tip - if you are trying to muck with the memory and the maps on the Zumo and the SD card, make sure to have a full backup of the existing device memory and the SD card. If anything does get futzed up, all it takes is dragging that backup back over to the Zumo (and/or the SD card), and you're back in business quickly, albeit with the old maps.
    Back2Dirt and DaveFromDenver like this.
  7. DaveFromDenver

DaveFromDenver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

David
    Back2Dirt likes this.
  8. mebgardner

mebgardner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @aciurczak, are you willing to move from Garmin maps?

I have been playing with my Zumo 550 this weekend, wondering how to support an upcoming ADV trip. I have decided to keep my 550, and move to OSM Maps. I will speak to the entire ecosystem to continue to support this 550 device.

It is possible to support the 550 from an Android device via the 550 USB. Briefly, you need a USB port master dongle that will attach to your phone, and master the 550 USB port. My Samsung S9+ was supplied with such a dongle in the phone box. Once you have that method, it is a matter of managing gmapsupp.img files. Interface the 550 to the phone via the dongle, and it "just works" when the 550 boots to allow the Android OS to recognize the file system on the 550.

Anyway, I choose to keep BaseCamp and manage the 550 with a Win7 box for planning, and maybe keep the Android dongle handy when on the road, and phone loaded with "my next map image in the route".

Find OSM Maps Here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

I will give a very short tutorial, because there is a learning curve to get these maps installed, when an image file (gmapsupp.img) is not supplied with the download. The website speaks to a journey down Java lane, and splicing and dicing map tiles together then assembling all of that product into an .img file.

Ignore all that, there is a much easier route. Some of the selections have an image file baked in (easiest path), some dont. Some come with an Installer for Map Source / BaseCamp, some dont (Trip Planning).

I wanted the Routeable USA Topo Maps, those were the hardest to figure out what to do with the downloaded product. So, I will write about selecting United States Topo OSM product (near bottom of page) with a Map Source Installer / Win/Mac OS .gmap fileset. Note there is a Continental USA / Canada / Mexico selection available from provider OpenMapChest that will also yield a Routeable Map output, but not Routeable Topo.

So, find the United States Topo selection. Select the highlighted "gmaptool.eu" link. The USA map is divided into large sections, and I chose to place each on it's own SD card (ie: No image file merging). Select one: USA Pacific. Scroll to bottom of the page. The current file is "US_Pacific_OSM_Topo_v33.7z". Select it, and that will begin the download of the fileset.

Once you have the downloaded fileset, unpack it (winzip / 7zip) into the directory tree you choose manage the set. I chose this:
    C:\OSM Maps\US_Pacific_OSM_Topo\

Once unpacked, install it into your BaseCamp / Map Source by selecting and running the batch file: install_US_Pacific_OSM_Topo.bat

From there, open Basecamp or Map Source and select the Maps tab. You should see the selection available for the map product you just installed. Select it.

Now, load it to your favorite device as usual: SD card mounted directly to your Win7 box (fastest), or via the USB port on the 550 with the SD card installed in it (very slow). When loaded, unmount it and install it in the 550. Boot the 550 and select the "system" wrench icon. Look for the new map in the usual place. Enjoy!
  9. aciurczak

aciurczak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When support for updating maps stopped working for our ancient GPS60cx back in 2018 or so, I thought we'd be stuck on those old versions of Garmin's maps. But I had some free time last year, and played a bit with the OSM maps for that gadget. I had some conversations with the guy at https://www.openmapchest.org/ , and he put together a download that had the full US in one rather than having to split it into region. I did get it to load properly, and it was able to route - but I haven't played with it too much since then. I did see that the address data for roads that I was able to check was much more limited than Garmin maps. The ranges were incomplete. Seems like it would work well enough for navigation if you were needing to get to a road - but if it really mattered whether you needed to get to 1000 main street or 5000 main street at a place you were unfamiliar with, the OSM maps didn't have the specificity that the garmin maps do.
    mebgardner likes this.
  10. galbicka

galbicka n00b

Oddometer:
    Change the default install option from device to computer only and let it download and activate there first. Then use Mapsource (or Mapinstall if you have Basecamp loaded) to place a small set of maps on the internal GPS storage area and the rest on an SD card.

The problem isn’t the version of Express but rather the size of the smallest region. Canada and Border States will no longer fit on the internal storage.