Zumo, 60csx, Montana? My head hurts

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by DynaSport, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, I have an old 2720 I bought off ebay for cheap a couple of years ago and it works ok, but I don't have Mapsource so I can't upload routes to it. I have thought about buying Mapsource, but I don't think the new maps in City will work on my 2720 and I'd like to be able to get the current maps with Mapsource. So, anyway, I have been looking at buying a new GPS that comes with City Navigator and Mapsource (a Zumo) or possibly buying one of the outdoors oriented GPS's such as the 60Csx or Montana and buying City Navigator on DVD to go with it so I can do what I want to do.

The problem is I don't have a lot of extra cash lying around right now for this purchase and most of the options are fairly expensive. I have been thinking about getting the cheapest Zumo for about $400, then I looked at the Montana and really liked it, but of course it is quite a bit more by the time I buy City Navigator and then the mounting hardware I would need. Then I saw the 60Csx which is cheaper than the 22, but again not by that much after purchasing the required software and accessories.

While I want to save money, I don't want to end up buying something I am not happy with. I would love something with all the bells and whistles like XM radio and traffic, but I mainly want a GPS that is reliable and I can upload routes I design on my computer to. Which unit would you all recommend.

Oh, and one more thing, I use a Mac laptop. I have heard that Mapsource only runs on a PC. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
    Dan
  2. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel that the Montana has blown all the other options out of the water in terms of features and usability. For cheap, Zumo or 60Csx might be a good buy used with maps included. Also, consider Zumo only if you have no use for the tracking features of the Montana. If you simply want to plan basic routes for your own use then the Zumo will be fine.

that's my 2 cents :1drink