Zumo 660 USB cable error

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Emperor Norton, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Recently I've had the opportunity to rain test my Zumo 660. The results while not fatal haven't made me an overly happy camper. The system for the most part seems waterproof. However I until the unit/cables dry out I will randomly get a "USB cable plugged into wrong port" message.

I'm not sure where the problem in the system is, whether its the GPS itself or the microUSB or 3.5mm jack on the cables. Has anyone seen this issue and know what is necessary to resolve the problem?

Alternatively how does one waterproof a 3.5mm jack and an allegedly sealed microUSB port?
  2. DanMesloh

DanMesloh Grumpy old man

Oddometer:
    I get the same message when I plug into the port on the M/C mount but not when using the port inside the battery compartment.

I've only had mine a couple weeks so I'm still learning to us it.
  3. Emperor Norton

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that means that the GPS to cradle connection isnt entirely waterproof.

Garmins response was helpful "look things over and find out what isn't waterproof"
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Two words: Dielectric grease
  5. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I love it when you talk dirty. :lol2
  6. Emperor Norton

Oddometer:
    Does that just go on the connecting pins or the seemingly flaky rubber seal as well?
  7. catsfive

catsfive 30,000 kms since 2006

Oddometer:
    From what I understand, you can only connect (and charge) it when connected to the inside port. This makes no sense to me, as I don't want to get into the habit of opening a waterproof device all the time.

I just got this. I'm going to test if I can charge it (but not connect it via USB) via the first port (not the one inside).
  8. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    Breathing new life into this thread.
    I have had my Zumo 660 Garmin GPS for almost 3 years now. It has been used in the rain before. Even heavy rain.

Took a 3 day ride into the Sierras; picked time when the 100-year June storm hit CA and dumped rain from coast to the Sierras. No rain on Day 1 and GPS (Zumo 660) worked like a champ as usual. Day 2 it rained pretty much all day, soft to medium. So we did not go far and I did not use the GPS at all. Day 3 it is still raining, though not as much. We head back home and I mount the Zumo when we take off in the morning. Shortly afterwards the rain ceases. Then I start getting the message: "USB cable plugged into wrong port". :huh Happens, then not for a while. Then happens 3-4 times in the space of a minute or two. Then once every 5 minutes. Then half hour fine, followed by more messages, i.e. seemingly 'random'.

When I get home I search on "Zumo USB cable plugged into wrong port" and find this thread. Also a few in other forums. I find references to trying to use the usb port on the mounting clamp in order to connect to PC. What usb port? So I go look at my car mount and sure enough on the 'back' side from which the GPS attaches there is a naked usb port. So I put the GPS on the car mount, a usb cable in the plug, then connect to my PS. VOILA! The message pops up! (so at least I believe that the message and situation is benign)

So I am next off to remove the GPS mount from the motorcycle and then remove the RAM ball connector from its back to see if there is a usb port in the same place as on the automobile mount. It is hard to believe there is; I mean, how could it be waterproof? I can certainly believe that some moisture seeped down there. (But I have ridden w/gps in the rain before ... Why is this time different? Something finally leaked?) Is it possible that the moisture made the GPS believe that there was a usb cable connected? And if so, how can I make this waterproof?

I'll take a photo and add to this post.
    I am hoping that some inmate with knowledge of electrical and waterproofing has a good suggestion. :ear
    Thanks,
    -ceej

PS
    I believe that the usb port on the Zumo mounts are for attaching devices that provide traffic information.

PHOTOS:
    Where the GPS mounts, i.e. the 'front' of the motorcycle mount. The screws connect the RAM ball mount in the back.
    [​IMG]

Rear view with RAM mount removed. No USB port! Thanks, Garmin - It was hard to believe that there was going to be one here.
    [​IMG]

Close up of rear of Zumo mount.
    [​IMG]

So I don't see anything back here to be wet. Yet the connector 'posts' on the front are the same configuration as on the car mount, and I have to believe that some signal on some of those posts on the car mount come from the usb port on the back of the car mount. So, could moisture there cause a 'phantom' reading of a gps plug?

Any suggestions? OR just ignore it?

Here is another possible place for a leak - but this is stretching it, I think.
    The top edge of the mount has two clamps that fit into recesses on the top of the zumo.
    [​IMG]

Here is what the top of the mount looks like:
    [​IMG]

And when the tab is pushed on the right side to raise the clamps, the top pops up
    [​IMG]
  9. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    It was suggested in another forum that I follow the cable wire from the gps mount back to the battery and find the audio and usb plugs that are part of the harness (I had completely forgotten about them being there). It could be that the usb plug has become exposed and got damp and that caused the message.
    I'll report back.

Update:
    I did discover that the usb plug on the cable harness had 'moved itself' to a position where it certainly was possible that it had gotten damp if not wet. I mounted the GPS and connected a usb cable, but got no message. However, as soon as I attached the other end to my PC the message popped up. I'm sure the gps has to sense a signal - some voltage across some pins - to generate that message. And I will agree that dampness could have 'shorted' two pins in the plug. But would/could that be interpreted as a usb connection? At this point I'm just going to assume so until I see the message again.

-ceej
  10. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I've had my 665 for three years and it's been through some massively heavy rain and every other kind of weather and never had that kind of problem. Instead, it has decided to completely stop connecting to the computer; I have a support ticket opened with Garmin to see if they can do anything about it. I hope I don't have to do a system reset since I'd lose all my waypoints. We'll see.

Rob
  11. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Raising this from the dead.
    My Zumo 660 has just started doing the same with a pop up message a USB cable is unplugged. Seems to happen randomly, but annoyingly.
    Anyone ever come up with a solution for this?