1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Zumo 660LM vs Zumo 350LM

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by vet2roux, Mar 8, 2013.

1. de santi

de santi n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anybody knows about the difference between zumo 350 and zumo 660 considering wthe limit of waypoints favorites and locations? (660 - 1000; 350 - 1)??
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Look under the specs tab for each:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-350lm/prod107979.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-660lm/prod117259.html

Both say:

Waypoints/favorites/locations 1000

What the 350 will do if you push a route to it that has too many points is it will break it into multiple routes, adding a number to the end of each route name to distinguish it. I do not know if the 660 does this, but I think it does not.
  3. Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff Road Dragon

Oddometer:

If the above is true regarding the 350LM breaking the route into 30-waypoint chunks, then their specification that it holds 100 routes is B.S. If my route has 95 waypoints, the 350LM will break it into 4 separate routes when I upload it. The same route will be one route in the 660.

As to the other question above about keeping routes on the SD card, yes, you can put as many routes on the SD card as the card will hold. The unit itself can only hold 20 routes (in the internal memory), but you can delete those that are no longer needed and load new ones from the SD card.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The 660 can do 200 points in a route, so you have to build a really complex route to ever go over that limit. It really bugs me that Garmin does that shit like making the 350 only have a max of 30 or the Montana with a max of 50.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    But is the limit for all types of points, or only for waypoints? :ear
  6. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    200 points a complex route? Maybe on the street but nowhere near enough for off-road.

First off it's worth noting that I'm no GPS GURU like EMMBEEDEE, DRTBYK or Atlas Cached but I get around on BaseCamp pretty good. We have seven GPSs since we use them for testing our products: 60CSx, Oregon, Montana, Zumo 450 (I've had it for years on my H-D Road King), a Zumo 350 (total garbage) and a couple of Nuvi's (great for blue sky riding on the pavement).

I just finished working on two routing jobs: one for some friends who are riding TAT the wrong way (West to East) and the other on the loops for the upcoming KTM Adventure Rider rally in Steamboat Springs. In both cases the Zumo 660 was a PITA.

On the TAT routes, I had already reworked the tracks that I purchased from Sam Correro's to reverse the direction, break it into one day ride sections and add a bunch of POIs and waypoints. Putting it all on my Montana and Oregon along with a TOPO map of each TAT state was duck soup. Trying to get it onto to the 660 took hours and the finished product didn't have near the fidelity as the original tracks from the Montana and Oregon.

We help out the KTM folks for their annual Adventure Rider rally by loading the loop tracks, and where necessary routes, into the rider's GPS. This year they had a local Steamboat Springs Adventure Rider run some really cool loops and send the GPX files to me to clean up and setup for the different classes of GPS. It worked out like this:

Class 1) Montana and Oregon type that handle tracks well and have lots of capacity (Montana can handle tracks with up to 10,000 points per track)- eleven loops with up to 450 points.

Class 2) 60CSx type that handle tracks well but have limited storage capacity - 22 loops, each of the above 11 split into two, out and back. The loops were split to get each part under 200 points and still have enough points so riders wouldn't run into problems where the trail split at a fork or intersection.

Class 3) Zumos including 660/665, split loops converted to routes, each with fewer than 200 points. BTW, adding maps to the Zumo is a major pain since you can only have one map loaded at a time. The Montana can handle up to 20 not exceeding 4000 map segments.

I wish I could attach a screenshot of the KTM loops for this year's rally but I don't have KTM's permission to do so. I'll edit this post after the rally to add the screenshot.

Bottom line IMHO if you ride mostly pavement with a little off-road, the Zumo 660/65 is OK but not great.
    If you do serious adventure riding get a Montana.

Cheers,
    -Shov
  7. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you have your numbers wrong.

The Zumo 350 is limited to 25 points (useless).

And... from the Montana wiki - "GPX files, 4000 total waypoints, 200 routes and 200 tracks (maximum 10,000 points per track)".
    That's a few more than the 50 you claim.
  8. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I am going to pipe up with an experience-based opinion that differs form the last couple of posts.

The Zumo 350 is a good Street Rider's GPS. It is neither "useless" nor "garbage" for the street rider. I have planned numerous complex street routes in BaseCamp, and followed them successfully on the 350. The 350 offers advanced detour functions, and the ability to search for, find, and insert into the current route, things like fuel or lodging, etc. More useful street navigation features that the Montana does not have can be found under the specifications tab here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-350lm/prod107979.html

What the 350 is NOT, is an offroad Adventure GPS, or a GPS for following tracks. It is not the tool for that. :nono

The Montana is, hands down, the best Adventure GPS, and is IMO the best choice for those who require multiple map sets and need to see/follow tracks. I also have a Montana, and it does those things really well, however for the pure street rider, it is not quite as good as the Zumo 350. I run them side by side, so have seen firsthand how they differ.
  9. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    So the Zumo 350 is OK if you have two GPS, a $600 Montana and a $700 Zumo 350. We are both fortunate to have both the Montana the Zumo 350 but that's not an acceptable solution for the majority of Adventure riders.

I agree that the Zumo 350 is a good street rider's GPS, but so is my old Zumo 450. But for street, given the choice between a Zumo 660 and a Zumo 350 I'll take the 660 any day. Compare the specs. The 350 costs $50 more and trades off a few nice, but not necessary features for others. For example:

Traffic compatible: 660 yes, 350 only with automotive mount. Now that's handy for a motorcycle GPS:huh
    3-D buildings and landmarks view (froo-froo but you want to compare features): 660 yes, 350 no
    Exit services: 660 no, 350 yes
    Replaceable battery: 660 yes, 350 no
    MP3 Player: 660 yes, 350 no
    Audio Book Player: 660 yes, 350 no
    Traffic Trends™: 660 no, 350 yes

A word about input power voltage. The Zumo 660 is a 12VDC device. It can be wired into the bike's power at any point and with some aftermarket stuff like our Baryl connector, allows the cradle to be quick detach.

The Zumo 350 is 5VDC (the regulator is in the power cable back by the battery). If the regulator dies you are screwed. Also, the cable carries more than twice the current of a 12VDC powered device for a given power consumption. The Zumo 350 draws about 2A at 5VDC.
    We purchased our 350 to see what power options we might be able to offer and found that we could splice a standard USB Type A plug onto the power cable and plug it into a USB power port but it had to be a high power port (2.2A or more). While this worked and is how we run our 350 it's wasteful as we throw away the Garmin regulator.

As for the Zumo 350 being able to "search for, find, and insert into the current route, things like fuel or lodging, etc.", you can easily configure the Montana to do that. I have a fuel icon set up that allows me to locate and navigate to a fuel stop with ease. Which brings up another major advantage of the Montana, it is highly configurable.

So again, as you indicate the Zumo 350 is a good street GPS but IMHO the Zumo 660 is better. The Montana is more versatile than either and the best solution for dual sport or adventure riders.
  10. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    >So the Zumo 350 is OK if you have two GPS, a $600 Montana and a $700 Zumo 350.

Not what I said. My point was that I have operated them side by side, so I can see the relative strengths and weaknesses.

> We are both fortunate to have both the Montana the Zumo 350 but that's not an acceptable solution for the majority of Adventure riders.

You'll note that I pointed out that the Zumo 350 is NOT a good "Adventure" GPS. I think it is a fine street GPS.

> I agree that the Zumo 350 is a good street rider's GPS, but so is my old Zumo 450. But for street, given the choice between a Zumo 660 and a Zumo 350 I'll take the 660 any day.

Perhaps you would. What I took issue with were the terms "garbage" and "useless".

> Compare the specs. The 350 costs $50 more and trades off a few nice, but not necessary features for others. For example:

> Traffic compatible: 660 yes, 350 only with automotive mount. Now that's handy for a motorcycle GPS:huh

Everyone I know with traffic says it is useless.

3-D buildings and landmarks view (froo-froo but you want to compare features): 660 yes, 350 no
    Exit services: 660 no, 350 yes

This is handy for the road rider. It is not just exit services but offers the (user selected) ability to display a layer on the map showing various services like gas. Mean you can see what is around without running a search.

Replaceable battery: 660 yes, 350 no
    MP3 Player: 660 yes, 350 no
    Audio Book Player: 660 yes, 350 no
    Traffic Trends™: 660 no, 350 yes

A word about input power voltage. The Zumo 660 is a 12VDC device. It can be wired into the bike's power at any point and with some aftermarket stuff like our Baryl connector, allows the cradle to be quick detach.

The Zumo 350 is 5VDC (the regulator is in the power cable back by the battery). If the regulator dies you are screwed. Also, the cable carries more than twice the current of a 12VDC powered device for a given power consumption. The Zumo 350 draws about 2A at 5VDC.
    We purchased our 350 to see what power options we might be able to offer and found that we could splice a standard USB Type A plug onto the power cable and plug it into a USB power port but it had to be a high power port (2.2A or more). While this worked and is how we run our 350 it's wasteful as we throw away the Garmin regulator.

Does anyone really care?

> As for the Zumo 350 being able to "search for, find, and insert into the current route, things like fuel or lodging, etc.", you can easily configure the Montana to do that. I have a fuel icon set up that allows me to locate and navigate to a fuel stop with ease. Which brings up another major advantage of the Montana, it is highly configurable.

Actually, no, you cannot do this without first stopping navigating the existing route you are following. The 350 lets you keep your route going and find and add these things to it. Fewer keystrokes and dancing around and choosing which point in the route to start up again in on the Zumo.

So again, as you indicate the Zumo 350 is a good street GPS but IMHO the Zumo 660 is better. The Montana is more versatile than either and the best solution for dual sport or adventure riders.

I have not used the 660, so I won't argue with you whether it is better or not as a street GPS. I don't care about things like an MP3 player, etc.. However, the advanced detour feature on the 350 seems much better in terms of allowing the rider to choose how and how much to detour around. I have found that to be a very useful feature when navigating a saved route and encountering a bridge out or gated road, etc.

The Montana is unquestionably far more configurable, and that is one of the reasons I like it. If Garmin would add more of the street navigation features to it that the Zumos have, I would be able to call it almost perfect for all purposes.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The Montana will only allow a route with 50 or less via points. That's a FACT. You are confusing track points with route via points. Two completely different things. :rolleyes
  12. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yup, my bad, you are right.

I keep forgetting about via points which I rarely use vs. waypoints, POIs & shaping points which I use all the time.

I rarely put via points in routes. Hell I rarely even use pre-planned routes on my Montana. On-road I just use "where to" and let the Montana guide me there.
    In the cases where I have used pre-planned routes with via points I don't think I've ever gone over ten. More than that and I'm being too rigid in my planning. On road you can meander hither and yon without fear of getting into some situation that could be hazardous to your health (other than some inner city areas).

Off road I use tracks so I can get more points for more precise planning since trails and dirt roads can be tricky and confusing with forks and unmarked intersections that can lead to some gnarly places where old men like me on big adventure bikes just don't belong.
  13. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading this thread I will be staying with my 60cx. Great GPS inspite of the screen being a little on the small side.:freaky