Zumo 665/660 Track imports?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by blowout, Apr 16, 2010.

1. blowout

blowout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the 665 ships out today from GPS city.. !!
    i do a lot of off road riding crossing/riding slab every now and again to and from the woods... then use it is the truck to go to wherever on slab.
    i know that "Routes" are different from "Tracks"
    .. correct me if i am wrong-

Routes are the things we follow point to point. I'm pretty sure we all have the same...50 routes that use 1,000 waypoints in all Garmins.

"Tracks" lay in the background, and show us where we previously rode. These are helpful in case we need an alternate way out of something...

I'm trying to find out how many "Tracks" you can upload to the 660/665.

anyone?

.. doing a 2 week trip from grand canyon to bonn salt flats to death valley to yosemite.. i neeed to import some tracks
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
  3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith n00b

Oddometer:
    When you upload a track to the Zumo it will turn it into a route. It will take all the points and turn them into special "shaping points" that are not visible and don't get announced. The uploaded tracks fall into the same bin and limitations with the routes.

The max waypoint limit per route on the Zumo's is 250. The Zumo will hold a maximum of 1000 favorites or waypoints in it's memory.
  4. blowout

blowout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the quick info. garmin needs to listen to some of the forums and add some basic software updates to these 'moto friendly' units!
  5. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No kiddin

I was lookin at the tracks from a ride last weekend for a 1200 mile ride I had 24 tracks. Some of the tracks had less then 10 points and were in the middle of a continuous ride Garmin says this is how it's supposed to work :eek1

How can ya do a back track when ya gotta select the track ya want and it only shows you the date/time.

I sure wish I hadn't upgraded the software on my GPS V or I'd still be usin that
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. You should have one active log unless you turned it off for lunch or ?.

What GPS uinit?

Sounds like loss of satilite comunication.

Why do you use Trackback function? Just follow the track.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:

Just some minor clarification to previous zumo info:

The maximum number of Route in the "active library" = Custom Routes folder, is 250 as noted above. You can transfer as many routes and tracks as you want to your SDCard then just import the ones you need when you need them up to 250. When you've moved out of the area of those tracks/routes just delete them from active library and import others. The ones you delete are still on your SDCard for importing at another time.

You can only use BacTrack on the Active Trip Log and that Trip Log (track) must have at least 50 track points in it - usually not an issue. As Countdown was suggesting you can set your Trip Log to show on the map so you could just follow the Cyan line (active Trip Log) back to where you started.

BacTrack is just a quick way to create a route back the way you came.

If you want to use a Trip Log segment for a route, go to Tools->My Data->Manage Trip Logs->Current Trip Log(or Archived - soon). You can view the individual Trip Log segments on a preview map to decide which one you want to "Save as Route".
  8. OldTriumphRider

OldTriumphRider Livin the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear
    The Garmin 660 Zumo has a micro SD card , place it in an adaptor and transfer tracks (like Sam's) and do the same thing ...
    OR CAN YOU , I can't seem to get them to import in the unit , they work fine in the laptop on Mapsourse .... HOW DO YOU DO THAT ???:ear