Zumo 665 and City Navigator NA - Can't have all USA?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Karson, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Karson

Karson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Previously, whenever I updated my lifetime City Navigator NA maps, all of the Lower 48 was an option.

When I updated yesterday, I have to select a single region to upload. Living in one of the fringe states (Iowa), this is going to be potential a major PITA.

Any insight before I call Garmin to clarify?
  2. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maps have become bigger and need more memory. You need to save the map to an SD card. Buy one up to about 32 GB if you don’t have one in there and when downloading the map update pick the option to download to SD card ( and computer).
  3. CRracer712

CRracer712 Africa Twin Rocks! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get an SD card, if you don't have the option to install to the SD card such as I don't on the zumo 550, clone your 665 to the SD card. The SD card needs to be formatted to FAT32.

This should allow your PC/Garmin express to recognize just the SD card as your 665(do not have the actual 665 connected).

It'll update the maps in full. You can then rename the map files in the Garmin folder: gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl.

Delete all other files in the Garmin folder, and in the root directory of the SD card.

insert card in zumo and boot. Check loaded maps. Make sure they show current.

Once verified. It's safe to delete those 3 renamed files(original file names) from your 665 internal drive.
  4. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my Nav IV, supposedly similar to the Garmin 660/665, I did have the option to download maps directly to an SD card using Garmin Express. The 550, as you indicate, doesn’t have this option and therefore needs a workaround as you describe.
    I think he should be able to do it without the workaround.
    CRracer712 likes this.
  5. 1TrackSam

1TrackSam Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CRracer, thanks! I've struggled through Map Updates on my antiquated 550 for years. Your process worked like a champ!