Zumo 665 installation Woes!

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by afulldeck, May 29, 2012.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    +1

We volunteer to help people make decisions, preferably before they make what they might consider in retrospect a bad purchase. We're hardly likely to agree that any piece of equipment is badly designed simply because it doesn't meet someone's expectations.
  2. blakrj

blakrj Need to ride

Oddometer:
    Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
    +1

To the OP - Don't really see this as a Garmin issue, but a lack of research to start with. A very simple check would be to have taken a look at the manual before dropping a grand. The mount remains installed on the bike - USB does not make sense. Want to talk standards, just check the different specs on USB alone. However, a bike battery and regulated power is 12V DC. Plain and simple. As for not wanting all the wires - you can buy a modified mount from various sources that only have power, or easily modify it yourself. On the other hand, best of luck finding an alternative with all the same functionality, that does connect to a USB.
  3. jimmyvr65

jimmyvr65 n00b

Oddometer:

Hello afulldeck,
    For Item #1 above, have you tried to use using a Mini USB adapter from powerlet (www.powerlet.com) part number PPC-024?
    I had a very similar issue with one of my Garmins... This device works well and is cheap :D
    It also allows you to charge your Garmin when plugged into a PC.

I hope this helps you out on at least one of your problems.

Jim
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    There will never be a standard on GPS connectors. All you have to do is look at the absurd variety of batteries out there to understand that. The manufacturers don't want a standard.
  5. Jooka

Jooka I grow everywhere Supporter

Oddometer:

If you aren't looking for what you are buying in exact specs to what you want, you will never have an excuse in mind.
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i dont own a gps but i cant imagine NOT having some sort of mount or cradle to mount it near your normal feild of view whilst riding the bike.Sitting in the top of a tank bag would not be my idea of user freindly
  7. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. millsan1

millsan1 IBA #49986

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue, but knew about it before purchase.

I too have weatherproof USB connectors on my bike for phone and GPS. Much cleaner than SAE or cigarette or powerlette, IMHO.

But, I knew the USB would not work for the 665 and planned on and will make a connection to the power on the bike directly. NBD in my case, I will just tap into the wires for one of my USB adapters. Will take 5 minutes. But I do hear him about the giant jumble of wires. Just ugly.
  9. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you try to use a Scala G4 with that 665 for music and a intercom with pillion or riding buddy, you'll really have something to bitch about. There is a firmware incompatibility between the two.
  10. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Oh man, maybe the OP should have asked for advice on his planned install before spending $1000 on stuff he was doomed to not like. This cannot end well. Money is not the answer amigo.