Zumo 665 problem after updating.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by BigKev72, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I just plugged my 665 in this evening to make sure I had updated maps onboard before a ride. As usual after a long update period it showed complete. I unplugged it, replaced the battery door and fired it up. It went through the usual power on sequence, made me acknowledge that it’s dangerous to play with it while riding and went to the home screen. It then powered down of its own volition and that was that. I powered it back on, everything looked normal and then it did the same thing. I tried it once more, with the same results. I pulled the battery for a couple of minutes, fired it up and had the same result again.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Another update on this, I plugged it in to my laptop and it just power cycles on and off over and over, when i try to restore the backup it will not even detect the Zumo because it will not power up and stay on.
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I bet Garmin techs will tell you to do a hard restart and reupdate. Make sure you back it up first!
  4. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Not able to. Garmin’s response was effectively that they were sorry but their update screwed up my gps. Since it is so old they had no service available for it and they offered me 30% off of a 595. Which is bulls@?¥ in my opinion. Their crap update screwed it up, they need to make it right. But that won’t happen because they are a crap company. I’m looking hard at the TomTom 550 instead, the full retail price is less than discounted price of the 595. $399 vs $489. Updates via WiFi, integrates with iPhone and android a heck of a lot better than the Garmin. However I’m just SOL right now because I don’t have the money for either.

5. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    True. Alas, I suspect Garmin sees the writing on the wall for profitability of their road GPS units and competition from smartphone apps and more complete databases (notwithstanding the need for cellular connection for lots of data). So it is turning into a bullshit company, at least for vehicle GPSes. Their frontline technicians suck. If you get the higher-ups, they are helpful, but you got to get to them.

I updated an older Nuvi a few months ago, and Garmin admitted their update screwed the Nuvi up, and sent me a Drive 50 replacement for free. But they fixed their updates for Nuvi and after a second update try, my Nuvi works fine. Therefore, if I had your Zumo, I'd do a hard restart and try the update again anyway, since there is nothing to lose and it might work this time. If not, Garmin's offer is still there. If someone is in the market for a 595, they could go through you and save 30% (though check with GPSCity and see if the discount is already out there). GPSCity has been on the ADVrider Vendors subforum a lot and offered inmate discounts, etc., and a contact with him might help you mucho in making a decision what to do - replace or fix - (even a possible trade-in?). Thinking out loud, here.
  6. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I wish a hard restart would work. The problem that I have is that even with a hard restart as soon as it boots to the home screen it shuts power down. If it is plugged into the computer it just power cycles over and over again, so quickly that the computer never does have a chance to recognize it. If I could just get it to stop doing that for long enough to get the computer to see it I could reinstall from the previous backup and all would be right in my world.

Now as to your other idea, if there is anyone out there that wants a cheap 595 hit me up. I would be glad to do that for someone. I don’t have the available cash to take advantage of that offer but after a few months of scrimping and saving I might be able to do the tomtom.

I did look at gps city’s pricing and they have a refurb 595 for $599, but I highly doubt Garmin would send me a coupon to use there. They were offering to sell me one direct for $489 and change. I think I’m just done with Garmin to be honest. They had a money grabbing asshole response to a problem that they created, and I absolutely hate people like that.

The good part of this is that I get to fairly spread hate and dissent about them for the rest of my life and there is nothing worse than word of mouth for a business if they don’t act properly and ethically.

7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

send them an email stating what happened, why their response was inadequate, and what you plan to do in the future for Gps stuff. polite but firm.

if nothing else you have them a chance to see why they lost a customer, and then write them off
  8. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Here is my last email to them:

“Alex, how about a different proposition. How does a replacement zumo 395 sound? Refurbished would be fine. Since you guys offered me essentially a $210 discount, how about applying that same figure towards the less expensive unit and I pay the difference? That would get me up and touring again without waiting for the next few months to pass, it would get you guys a lot of good word of mouth and I would be a happy camper with Garmin again. “

I think that’s pretty reasonable. I will update if I hear back.
    If I don’t hear back I will just move on to tomtom and fairly slag off Garmin at every available opportunity from here on haha.

ohgood likes this.
  9. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I received an email back from Garmin, politely telling me to piss off and take their original offer. Here is my subsequent email back to them.

“Alex, I can not afford the 595. I also cannot believe that a GPS that I payed a small fortune for a few years ago was rendered inoperable by Garmin’s update process. Garmin’s solution is to try to make even more money off of me rather than to try to do a decent thing. I am very unhappy to say the least with Garmin’s proposed solution. At this point Garmin has in no uncertain terms lost a customer for life. I will also from henceforth have nothing good to say about Garmin either. One thing that Garmin may or may not know but motorcyclists are a very tight knit community and word of mouth goes a long way on motorcycle forums. Garmin has been going downhill over the past few years, poor products with basecamp going un-updated and difficult to use. You are already having difficulty keeping your reputation in any kind of esteem and I will be happy to do everything I can to sink it further into the toilet. I will be giving the TomTom 550 a try, it sounds like a better product anyway.
    Really crappy way to treat someone who spent a lot of money with you and would have been happy to do so after that gps died of its own accord. But I will not in future. “

Moral of the story. Don’t buy Garmin folks.
    Oh and he did say that they no longer sell the 395 and as such would not be able to do anything at all on one. Probably won’t be servicing or supporting that for much longer either.

10. bnschroder

bnschroder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Garmin is like Apple - once the device is so old they want you to replace it, they stop supporting it, or worse, send you a debilitating update.
    Thanks for the warning - I guess I will decline all further updates for my 660.
    blrfjr likes this.
  11. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    I would for sure. Looks like they have decided that all 600 series owners should replace them.

12. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Going to have to try the top left of the screen thing as I plug it in. I’m going to be happy but pissed if that works, I just pulled the cradle off my bike lol.

14. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well, tried...the device is power cycling so quickly the usb does not detect it. Holding down the screen corners does not delay it (except for bottom right which offers me option of a master reset (this does nothing to help unfortunately)).
    It’s done.
    I have it and the mount and accessories up for sale on the TWT forums and soon on the ADV forums...maybe someone has one with a cracked screen or case that they could cannibalize and make a good working unit out of. The mount, battery and sun shade ought to be worth what I’m selling it for.

15. BigKev72

BigKev72 ANZAC

Oddometer:
    Well the zumo problem has been rectified. Sold the damn thing to another inmate for scrap and bought a TomTom rider 550.