ZUMO 665 says "check XM antenna

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fredz43, Jun 21, 2018.

1. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Greetings,

I have been using my ZUMO 665 with XM puck for 2 years, for both radio and weather radar. Recently I started getting a display that says "check XM antenna". Rather than using the tangled mess of the MC mount, I have used the radio mount so I could easily move it to my 2 other bikes. On my main bike I have the XM puck mounted. I bought a new 665 car mount, 011-0205-10 and got no change. I also have a spare new XM40 puck and tried that with no change. I had XM send a refresh signal, with no change. All that is left is the Zumo 665 itself, it appears. Now it is basically a 660, as the XM is not working. Has anybody had similar issues or have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Fred Z.
  2. Chief95

Chief95 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fred

My XM radio has worked flawless until yesterday all of the sudden the XM antenna now has pour reception either no signal then 1 bar then no signal then 2 bars. Have you had any luck figuring this out?
  3. fredz43

Oddometer:
    I bought a Zumo 595. The only time I had a problem with any XM receiver is when it didn't have a clear shot of the satellite due to trees, etc ,especially to my south.
  4. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's an odd story..... the same thing happened to me. My Zumo 665 suddenly said " check XM antenna " , I checked all the connections and then started looking for a new puck.... sure hope the Zumo 665 didn't crap out. I guess I'll find out when a new puck arrives
  5. fredz43

Oddometer:
    I tried 2 different pucks with no change. Finally found a used 665 in the adv flea market, so bought that and it works perfectly. So, the problem was with the original 665 and Garmin doesn't repair them any longer. BTW, sold the 595, as I didn't like several features of it. Prefer the 665.
  6. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So .... I tried another puck .... that didn't work still my siays "check XM antenna"

So ... I bought a 665LM that cam with a brand new puck .... all of them in all the configurations say "check XM antenna"

Spent some time on Garmin support today, the tech thinks it might be the mount that's causing trouble .... I'm going to give it some messing with tomorrow.

But I am starting to suspect the Garmin ate an Apple, and on the last firmware update just told the unit NO to the xm antenna ..... ok, maybe I'm just a bit too suspicious today .. Or just a tiny bit frustrated.
  7. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep.... turned out to be the bike mount.

I used the car mount as a test, and both of the( 665lm's work on the car mount... and neither work will the motorcycle mound. I guess I know what extra pieces I need to buy now.... and I now have and extra 665 and 2 extra pucks ( oh ... and a 550 puck that I purchased by mistake on the first go around )