Zumo 665 software and registration question

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by g_e_young, Dec 31, 2011.

1. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Hi All -

I purchased a used motorcycle that came with a Zumo 665, but no software. Can somebody help me understand which software I need if I want to upload routes to the GPS? The map is very recent so I don't need a map update. Do I just need a copy of Mapsource? Can I use a different software?

Also, the unit is registered to the old owner, and I haven't been successful in getting him to de-register it. Can I call Garmin and have them de-register it for me?

Thanks in advance for the help.

g-
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend BaseCamp as the software for setting up routes, waypoints, etc. On my Mac, I can view the maps loaded on the GPS through BaseCamp (not sure if the same functionality exists with the Windows version yet).

As for the registration, it won't hurt to call Garmin and ask. I don't think it's necessary that the previous owner "deregister" it.
  3. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've used basecamp before with a different GPS but didn't think about using it with the Zumo. It looks like Mac and PC functionality are the same now.

I can't include the 665 in my list of managed GPS's on Garmin's site unless it's registered to me. I can do updates, fortuately.

Thanks for the help!

g-
  4. Huckwheat

Huckwheat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would definately call Garmin g. I just did last week concerning my Nav IV and they were excellent on the phone. Very accomodating.