Zumo 665 via points limit question

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by laklr650, Apr 12, 2015.

1. laklr650

laklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 665 and I'm getting ready for a trip in a few weeks so I've been doing a few local test runs to make sure I have everything figured out. On today's test I ran into a problem and I looked in the manual and still can't figure it out so I'm hoping somebody here can. I designed my ride in base camp and created both a route and a track. Base camp says the route is 440 points (I chose to have it automatically pick the number of points) and the track is 1300 points. I uploaded both to the memory card in the Zumo with no issues. I imported the track with no issues. When I tried to import the route it said it had too many via points and wouldn't import it. I looked in my manual and it says the unit will handle up to 1000 total favorites, way points and vias. So I am confused. If it only handles a 1000 how come it took the track that was 1300 points? I didn't think tracks counted as vias or waypoints so I expect it to take the 1300 points. But since it says it will take a 1000 how come my route that is 440 points won't fit? Can anybody help?

LAKLR650

KLR650 12
    FJR1300 03
  2. laklr650

Oddometer:
    Anybody know the answer, I'm stumped?
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your zumo 660 will only handle 50 Via Points in a Route and it will cut the route short if there are more. This is different than the number of Waypoints that the device will store. Track points do not count in either Waypoints stored or Route Points. Your zumo will only allow Tracks to have 650pts/Track. The device will truncate a Track at the 650th Point (cut it short if there are more than that).

BaseCamp isn't smart enough to tell you what the limits are for Route Points/Route & Tracks Points/Track on your device - although it should be.

You might want to read my Routes, Tracks & Waypoints article...
  4. laklr650

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response and help. But I did some web searching and came up with a limit of 200 via points, where did you get the 50 point limit? I re-converted the track to a route and told it to use 199 via points and the Zumo uploaded the route successfully, so it seems like 200 is working? Thanks for the tip that tracks and waypoints are not counted, that's what I thought but wasn't sure.

LAKLR650
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you actually look at the Route on your zumo after it calculated the route? Did it actually contain 200 Via Points?

That was a rhetorical question because I know the answer is, No. There are not 200 Via Points in the Route. Only Direct Routes can have more than 50 Via Points on the early zumo's. The Direct Route limit is 250 Via Points.

When you create a Route in BaseCamp from a Track, BaseCamp creates the Route with thousands of points they use to call "shaping points" but they are no longer called that as Garmin has decided to use the term Shaping Point to mean something else that only the newer zumo 590 and BMW NAV5 can use.

The points that are in your Route are a Start Point and an End Point most likely. The thousands of hidden points you won't see. If you navigate that Route and you let that route recalculate on the zumo you will loose the original path to the End Point.
  6. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that this is a 2 year old thread, but I have a related question.
    First, before the question, I used BaseCamp to plan a 4,000 mile trip for four of us last year. Looked great in BaseCamp. But when on the trip, the Zumo 665 simply missed or didn't announce turnpoints to waypoints (like a campsite or a restaurant). I was told that BaseCamp won't work on a Zumo 665. I refuse to buy a new model Zumo because they don't have XM radio. We travel where there is no Internet service . . . need my XM radio.

OK, and now the question:
    Is the Waypoint name announced? I am custom-naming waypoints so that they'll be announced as I wish, not per their canned name. I have several uses for custom announcements along the way and it seems that Waypoints would be perfect for that.

Ken
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Only routes (not tracks) will announce waypoints. In order for it to "announce" waypoints, you must be using a route and the waypoint must be included on that route (not just have the waypoint in your favorites, etc)

I've been using Basecamp on a ZUMO 660/665 for years now.

Once you have your route created, double click on the name of the route. In this case, mine is called "example". It will bring up the properties menu seen on the right. In this example, I have a route that has 6 waypoints. Since these waypoints are on my route, they will alert as I approach them, in this case warning of 2 water crossings and a washout turn.

ex.png
  8. DFWKen

DFWKen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Of course, the four of us were following my pre-planned route last year (each with it loaded into their GPS units) and the Zumo missed waypoints. It missed most all of them! I don't know why. Since then, many people have told me that the 665's are not compatible with Basecamp, including Garmin tech support. I didn't argue . . . simply went back to Mapsource for subsequent trips. I've had a Garmin on my motor since the old 2610 came out and have been using Mapsource since it came out.

By the way, one of our group has a newer Harley with the "Infotainment" unit that includes a GPS in the instrument panel. THAT was the only GPS that followed my planned route accurately while all the rest were 665's missed the waypoints together. We relied on the Harley GPS for most of the trip.

I do know how to create a route with Mapsource and examine the waypoints. Have been doing it for years. Basecamp does it the same way.

So getting back to my question about custom-named waypoints and will they announce:
    Yesterday, I created a simple 15 mile route with 4 waypoints. Followed the Zumo lady's announcements to the destination. I had a couple of waypoints that I gave "custom" names. The Zumo lady announced the waypoint custom names like I'd planned. That's cool that she can read my waypoint names and speak them as we approach. Six of us going on a 5,000 mile trip in 2 weeks and I have all of the routes ready (with custom-named waypoints).