Zumo 665 + weather radar ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by dsy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any one running a Zumo 665 with the XM weather, radar add on? Just got my new 665 yesterday and when I called SirusXM to activate the services and gave them the radio id # they said that unit is not Wx compatible. Even got a supervisor involved because I was sure the clerk was just clueless and there was a language barrier but that did not help either as the supv insisted that the Zumo 665 was not Wx compatible. WTF?
    Garmin's response was basically yes it is Wx ready and we have not had any other complaints about not being able to activate service. Garmin verified the radio id as a 665 Xm / Wx radio.

Doug
  2. Karson

Karson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you give them the radio id of the GXM40 antenna or something directly off the Zumo? The XM puck is what they should have said to look at...
  3. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the id on the bottom of the puck is the same # that comes up when you query the id from the Garmin unit itself.
    XM gives me the line that Garmin has to activate the Wx and Garmin says they have nothing to do with activating XM services. Its been very frustrating to say the least.

There is a escalated trouble ticket in with XM now and they claim they will get back to me with-in 48hrs. I guess if they cant get it figured out I will be requesting a new XM puck from Garmin in case its something about this one.

Doug
  4. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe its a terminology issue but the 665 is compatible with XM Navweather which I understand is not the the same as the WX weather packages. I believe the WX is the aviation, marine, or ground packages which is different than Navweather.
  5. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made sure I explained that I wanted the XM Nav weather not the marine or aviation product. I know if its an issue with the Garmin XM radio puck that Garmin will make it right, I was just curious if anyone else had run into a problem activating their Nav Wx service. Garmin says they have not heard of anyone having a problem, and XM says they have no info about the GXM40 unit so it must not be Wx compatible.

Doug
  6. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 665 with the live weather radar add on and it is great. You have to subscribe to one of the XM radio packages and then add on the weather. You can not get the weather without the radio. I will have to admit that dealing with XM Customer service is a less than desireable experience.
  7. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do have the XM Select music package but no where do I get the option to add anything else besides internet XM radio. I'm thinking its probably a coding issue on either Garmins side or the XM side for them to say that my radio is not NavWx capable when I give them the radio ID #. Glad to hear you like the NavWx. It looks like a nice product for the $ and am looking forward to getting it working.

Doug

Would make communication a little easier if they at least used reps from this continent.
  8. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about getting a 665 so I can get NEXRAD on the bike.
    Prices below are from their website and it says you can get just the weather. I have no use for
    XM Radio and that would be a deal killer for me.
    Does anybody have the Navweather on their 665 without the radio?

NavWeather Pricing

Monthly Price*

NavWeather - with an active SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription

$3.99

NavWeather - without an active SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription

$9.95

NavWeather + NavTraffic

$7.00

NavWeather + NavTraffic + SiriusXM Travel Link

$8.99
  9. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with XM and they said XM Navweather (listed now just as Navwether) works with the Zumo 665 just fine. $3.99/month

I will be adding this to mine shortly for the summer.

You told them it is for a Zumo 665 not a GXM40, correct?

Of course I spoke with someone stateside, not in India. If I get India, I hang up and try again as they cannot handle anything other than just the very basics.
  10. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talked to XM Radio today and they said that you can not get just the radar but you can get the weather/traffic package for just over $70.00 a year. I don't really have any need for the radio so I opted for this package.