Zumo Deathmatch

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Superfly, Apr 14, 2011.

?

Which Zumo should I get

1. 550

2. 660

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Superfly

Superfly Redleg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, everybody...

I've been reading and researching about the Zumo 550 and 660 GPS units. I think it's a pretty even divide between the 550 and 660 camps, with no clear victor emerging.

So, to add to the tomes of opinion on these receivers and in an effort to finally resolve which GPS is better (at least for me), I'd like to pose the following questions:

Should I get the 550 or the 660? What are the benefits/shortcomings of either?

Thanks a bunch!
    Brian
  2. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:

I was somewhat in the same dilemma. However, I've decided to buy the 665, since I want the larger screen, plus the XM radio feature. I'm now searching for the best price!!
  3. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a 660. Larger screen and, at least around here, lower price were good selling features. I also like the ability to customize the data fields.

I've had mine for about 7 months and about 20,000 km's on the bike (plus using it in the car when not riding) and it has worked flawlessly for me after my first incident. (Just after I got it I rode for about 10 km and the unit fell off the mount. Garmin replaced it free of charge under warranty and I have not had any issues since.)

..Tom
  4. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the 5xx but my 660 isn't quite waterproof. Im not sure if its the bundle of cable somewhere (either the moto mount USB port, 3.5mm jack) or just a not quite watertight connection between the GPS and the mount. Either way, for a few days after playing in the rain Ill get a "USB connected to wrong port" error.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the 550, as a few of my friends had it and were satisfied with its features.

I found a great deal on a 660 so bought that instead. I've been extremely happy with it and truly cannot think of a bad thing to say about it.

I guess the Zumo series is just made for us riders and you won't be disappointed with either purchase. Look for the best deal and buy it.
  6. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would win it for me right there. I love being able to watch the volts, time, speed, altitude all at the same time.
  7. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't display voltage, and unlike my previous gps (Garmin 60Cx) the altitude is in metric if the rest is and vice versa, but at least you get some choice as to what fields and it has a mode where four data fields of your chosing are displayed. Some fields for navigation are displyed separately as well as time so you get a reasonable amount of data to entertain.

..Tom
  8. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither... Get the 665. I love mine and it has been flawless out of the box.
  9. Teeblatt

Teeblatt In God we trust; all others must bring data.

Oddometer:
    If you go with the 550 you need to know that the GXM30 antenna was discontinued in Jan 2011. You will have to find one from existing dealer stock, refurbed, or used.
  10. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the newest and the latest and greatest, after al you only live once might as well have the best toys you can get.
    that being said, I have a 550 and if it wasn't so dam reliable I would get a new one and it would be the latest version of what Garmin put out.
  11. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    None of the above.