Zumo Experts: Please confirm something....

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NCD, Sep 27, 2010.

1. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip next year down the CDR with my Zumo 450. I've been through several threads here, but there is a lot of conflicting info.

I have BigDog's and Cannonshot's track files.
    I went through and built routes in Mapsource by tracing their tracks.
    Routes are in segments of less than 200 via points.
    They "preview" fine on the unit.
    I press "GO!" , pass on navigating to the beginning of the route, and use the touch screen to drag across and find the route - then zoom in - the route seems fine, and follows the Mapsource route (with just a few exceptions that I can work around.) I live 2000 miles away from the route BTW.

Is this going to work in the field? There are some references to the route getting truncated once you are actually on it in other threads. Is that if you just have too many (more than 250) via points?

I know you can just load the tracks and let the unit tranfer them into routes, but a lot of inconsistencies showed up when i tried that.
  2. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, however I used my Zumo 450 this past July with routes downloaded from these folks: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm. Their routes are broken up into smaller chunks (of course, the routes are aimed at bicyclists). I also paid for the (high quality) paper map set sold by them. Expensive but worth it to me.

I've had difficulty with some routes/tracks downloaded here (not trying to dis the creators), sometimes the Zumo refuses to import the route and claims "too many waypoints". You might need to break the route up into sections using Mapsource (or Basecamp if you have a Mac).
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    (don't have a Zumo, but a Nuvi 500 which operates in a similar manner)

I think you are on the right track (so to speak:evil ). That's exactly how I would have handled creating the routes. I see no reason anything will be different when you are actually on the route. Just make sure your automatic "off route recalculation" is turned off.

Don't let decodent's posts scare you:lol3
  4. NCD

Oddometer:
    blender - Good idea on the ACA maps as backup.
    tbird - Apparently you have read the same posts I have!

I just don't want to get all the way out there, and then have the 'idiot box' decide to ruin everything! I might make my house the first via point on a section I have created, and then see what happens when I actually navigate on it. Seems like a valid test. Maybe.
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    How?

I am assuming that you are setting the unit to "off road" correct?
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Well, I read it as he is using "follow roads" routes. Almost all of the Divide Ride is on "roads" that are shown on Garmin City Nav maps, hence you can do road routes for it (despite what many will say).

How about it NorthCoastDakar - follow roads or off road routes?

(BTW - I'm a native north coaster, grew up near Ashtabula, OH:D )
  7. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    My 500 and any 500 or 550 will try to recaculate to the ENDING WAYPOINT per experience and Garmin Tech's (I called). The only way to prevent this according to them is to load the route and set the unit to "off road". This allows you to see the route if you are off it, but doesn't recalculate when you do go off it.
  8. NCD

Oddometer:
    Using the tracks from the other 2 ride reports I mentioned, I was surprised to see that 99% of the roads were shown in Mapsource. (I'm only riding down to Salida.)

There are a few short sections that the Zumo does not like for whatever reason, it deletes via points and routes around and back to a particular via point. I went back into Mapsource and left extra markers along these sections so that I can ride the 'real' route instead of Mr. Zumo's idea. I will just follow the 'marks" and not the Zumo route in these spots.

And YES, route recalc will be OFF! Route set to "fastest time" sends the route all fubar, "offroad" just makes straight lines, but "shortest distance" makes a clean route.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    With my Nuvi 500 if I go off route it recalculates to the next via point in line, not to the ending waypoint. Tried it many times :dunno

Garmin techs often don't know what they are talking about...

Besides - NorthCoast has a ZUMO 450 and he has the ability to turn off the off-route recalc - unlike our Nuvi 500/550's.
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    First I would buy a hand held that actually follows tracks as a backup to the who knows what it will do street unit. 60/76Cx on sale for about $200 is well worth it or an e-trex for such a big trip where you don't want problems. Read CDR posts from Decodent using a Zumo with limited knolwledge on

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108842&page=24

Second try down loading my CDR tracks from GPSXchange.com they are compulation of Big Dog and many others that have been edited to correct ALL wrong turns. They are something like 18 tracks of 500 points each. They may convert to Routes in Zumo better. Also they are ready to download to handheld and go ride.
  11. NCD

Oddometer:
    Countdown - I read the posts you linked to. My routes will get the crazy '4 routes converging on a point' thing if it is in 'fastest time' mode. If you choose 'shortest distance' the wackiness goes away.

I will try your tracks and compare.