Zumo Routing

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Rubbit, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Rubbit

Rubbit n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello to all. I've only ever had TomToms in my car before and have just bought a Zumo 660 for the bike. On the first trip out I have been very surprised by the routing as it seems to have a pathological dislike of motorways. As a test I used it on a trip I have done many times and so know the roads well. For some reason it tried to take us through the centre of a major city and then onto some very minor back roads rather than use the motorway that go around the city. I know both routes well and I reckon the Zumo route adds about 20 mins onto a 1 hour journey. I have it set to fastest route and I have not asked it to avoid motorways or tolls. My old TomTom picked up the motorway route as a preference.

The only other experience was a recent bike trip with a friend where he had a Zumo and I was using my TomTom. The difference in chosen route was unbelievable. TomTom seemed to stay on major routes while Zumo nipped off down B roads at every opportunity. If I am out for a general ride then this would be OK but normally when I use GPS I am trying to get somewhere so this seems a bit counter-intuitive. I'm interested that I have not seen too many problems with people questioning the routing. I have however seen a lot of postings with people planning the route on a PC and uploading them to Zumo. Is this a bi-product of the dodgy routing experienced on the unit?

Has anyone else had the same experience when switching between TT and Garmin? At the moment I'm very tempted to send it back so I need some help from a Garmin guru to persuade me otherwise. Am I missing a config somewhere? Can you set it to avoid major cities, can you set a priority to take major roads? I have searched but not found anything like this so far.

Are there regional variations in map quality? I am using the unit in France.

Thanks
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to change your routing preferences in the unit. You will find them somewhere in your settings. It sounds like it has shortest distance ticked instead of shortest time. Shortest distance will try to "straight line" you as much as possible to your destination. If you planned this route in mapsource or basecamp those preferences may need to be modified as well.

I am not familiar iwth Zumo preference settings but someone will come along an give you the path to change them. But here is an ARTICLE THAT MAY HELP.
  3. Rubbit

Rubbit n00b

Oddometer:
    DRZ,

Thanks for the reply but I have checked these already and I have it set to fastest route, I have not asked it to avoid motorways or toll roads and I have not added any roads to be avoided manually which was another option I found.
  4. Teeblatt

Teeblatt In God we trust; all others must bring data.

Oddometer:
    Take a look at Tools --> Settings --> Navigation
    Check Routing Preferences and Check if you’re using "Faster Time" if not try this.
    Check Avoidances and make sure you don't have a check mark on "Highways" and optionally "Interstates"
    If your Zumo hast restricted settings you may want to give it more freedom in its routing. When you get into an area that you have flagged most of the roads as no go, then the unit will make some pretty stupid routes for you.

If you are not sure what programming your unit has in it, from the Tools --> Setting choose Restore on the bottom and you will get a set the set of Garman Default Setting.
  5. BMW Kurt

BMW Kurt Philosopher

Oddometer:
    On mine "highways" = "interstates". If I tell it to avoid highways I get some very interesting rides!
  6. Rubbit

Rubbit n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions but as stated in the last two posts I have it set for "Faster time" and I have NOT asked it to avoid motorways or Toll Roads.

If this is the only setting I need to check then I'll put it back in the box and return it and go and get a TomTom. The Zumo is nicely equipped with gizmo's and features but if you can't trust it to take you the most effective route then it defeats the object of the GPS in the first place.

Thanks for confirming I wasn't doing anything wrong.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    What map product is preloaded on your zumo 660 - CNEU NT v2012?

What version is the zumo software - v4.20?

Cheers,
  8. Rubbit

Rubbit n00b

Oddometer:
    Map version is CNEU NT 2011.40

Zumo Software version is 4.20

Drove home this morning on the motorway that skirts Geneva and again tried to take me back through the centre of the city at rush hour. There have been no major road changes in the last 6 months so I don't think this is a map issue, I think it is a routing priority problem.

I did another test between the Zumo and the TomTom this morning to go to Bourg-en-Bresse. TT took me via motorway whilst Zumo took me over the mountains. Both claimed a 1hr 58 min journey time with Garmin 20km shorter. Looks like a win for Garmin but I have used both routes and the Garmin route takes 50 mins longer because it is so wiggly. I can hear many of you saying that this would be your preference to hit the wigglies when on a bike and I agree. What bugs me is that I have Zumo set to the car function and I have told it I want the fastest time.

It really is a shame because I think the Zumo is perfectly spec'ed with features.

Each to their own. I am just not a Garmin man. I'm not a Vauxhall man, a Wilkinson Sword man or a Manchester United man either! It would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing.

Be safe all.
  9. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure that there are no checks on roads to avoid, mine came with about 6 checked and it was doing some crazy routing. Disabled avoid setting and all is fine.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Customer is always right. You should be using your TomTom.

But, if you have some time to work with the zumo a bit more you might go over to the zumoforums.com as few more EU zumo owners hang out there and may be able to assist you. I haven't seen anyone else reporting this type of behavior from the zumo 660.

If all of your Navigation Preferences are set properly and you are continually having this auto-routing issue, I might suggest one more test.

Go to the Garmin OSM map site and select Switzerland or France map for download. I would suggest downloading the gmapsupp.img file and save it directly to your zumo\Garmin directory unless you already have a supplemental map installed. In which case save it to your SDcard\Garmin directory.

Once you have this routable map loaded disable CNEU. Then try your route once more. :ear

You should have no problem selling your zumo 660 if you are so inclined.

Cheers,
  11. Buzzo

Buzzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I thought it must only be me....

I've come from a Tom Tom rider that i though was a good unit. I bought the Zumo 660 for the mapping. I have had a lot of troubles with the Garmin. The first was a dud from the start and was replaced. I was a complete beginner in the mapping so I realize a lot of the problems with routes were my fault. But I've been using it every day for the last 10 weeks and just when I think I've got got mastered it will let me down. I've made sure both settings on the unit and Mapsource are as close as I can get them. I put a lot of extra way points in and and when I load the route I always check to make sure that it looks the same and the mileage is the same. On several occasions after all that I've set off the next morning and it's recalculated itself ( It's set to prompt first ) and not even close to where I want to go. Most of the time I had it set for minor roads and no tolls. But at the end of my holiday I wanted to go from Austria to Calais to catch the ferry on major roads in the shortest time.. I reset the preferences on both again It got me onto the freeway then after half an hour it's got me on a goat track and going in circles. I deleted the route and just put in Calais. It did the same thing. So I ended up having to just keep putting towns in around 300-50 km away a otherwise it couldn't handle it. It just can't handle routes longer than that. There is nothing else on the unit like music or photos. I'll be honest, I never would have found my way around as easily as I did with the unit most of the time but it's just a bit frustrating at times.