Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by FrankS, Nov 28, 2009.

1. E double D

E double D are we there yet

Oddometer:
    Another successful replacement .:clap

And like others my torx turned out to be #6.
  2. ballpeen

ballpeen _______________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just replaced mine as well picked-up from goodsupply0889. I used a crepe rubber eraser to remove the adhesive residue, worked well.
  3. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
  4. knallert

knallert Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say Thanks to the OP..
    I swapped on my 550 and it worked like a charm..
    THANKS! :-)
  5. squatingdog

squatingdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok after reading this post I have some questions ..
    1.. How do I tell which size touchscreen I need for my 550 ?
    2.. I see them on eBay for cheap but did anyone have a bad experience with a particular one ?
    3.. Which seller did you have a positive experience with ?
    Is your 550 still working after a bit of time after repair ?
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    @squatingdog

You need the bigger sized one, 79x64.5

I just bought this one to repair a friend's zumo, had bought the same one to repair my old zumo too:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FULL-LCD-Screen-Display-Garmin-Zumo-400-500-450-550-79mmx-64-5m-/272112691637?hash=item3f5b2e29b5:g:hsUAAOxyrjZRuXXa&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab93f4732-2615-11e7-9a6f-74dbd180719b%7Cparentrq%3A8d67c66915b0a7f22c45455cffff8068%7Ciid%3A4
  7. Turbocat

Turbocat The roamin' Oklahoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link, Drif10 ... that's where I ordered mine. It arrived tonight and I had my Zumo 500 up and running in no time, with the touch screen operating as good as new -- maybe better than new. Thanks, OP, and all who contributed to this thread !
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    De nada.
  9. BBohemian

BBohemian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to replace both the screen and digitizer on Zumo 590
    ?
  10. Chubber

Chubber I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer:
    Just checking in that I got my Zumo 550 back up and running by swapping out the digitizer. I've done it twice now. The first time I ordered the digitizer I bought the $7, delivered, one from eBarf. It took about 3 weeks to get here, then I did the swap. It took me forever to get the screen ribbon cable back in until I realized that you have to hold the white lever back with a plastic spud while you insert the cable to get it to seat fully. But the first digitizer was a dud, it never responded to any presses at all. So I figured I would try throwing another $7 at it, waiting another 3 weeks to get it. This time I swapped it in, got it lined up just right, fiddled with the screen gasket a bunch and got them all done, put in the metal ring screws just barely tight and tested it out. This time it worked great, though it was waaaay off. I did the calibration thing and now it's perfect, right on the money. All strapped back up and back on the bike.

Thanks again to you trail blazers, I sure didn't want to dump a couple of hundred on another unit. I'd rather invest that in gas and tires, thank you very much.
  11. rummaggio

rummaggio n00b

Oddometer:
    brilliant!
    Loui€ likes this.
  12. GitSum_

GitSum_ n00b

Oddometer:
    11-2019 update for anyone who finds this thread...

I purchased a new digitizer for $7.99 from 'sp-2015canter' on eBay for my 12-year-old Zumo 550. (He has over 4700 reviews and 99% are positive). The digitizer was an exact fit, and had a protective clear plastic covering over the glue strip on the backside. The only thing I did differently was once I removed the assembly from the silver frame, I just cut the old digitizer off the front with a razor blade instead of messing around with the black frame.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the on/off button - the rubber cover has separated and falls off - might have to do the tire patch thing :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322580502119?ul_noapp=true TRI -027.jpg
    dirtydoug likes this.