Zumo vs Montana

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fd1122, Jan 29, 2012.

1. fd1122

fd1122 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am torn between the Zumo and Montana. How many of you adv riders would trade the Zumo for the Montana? I have a Garmin 60 cx for my more off road bikes. Im looking to purchase the Zumo or Montana to use on my 990 adventure. The Adventure will see mild off road use.
  2. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 550. Seems to me that the Montana has much better off road track handling than any of the Zumos.

While Z 660/665 series has improved track handling over the Z450/550, the new Montana would be my choice.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Ask Dan (DRTBYK) on this thread - he's used both:

New Garmin Montana.
  4. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been a Zumo 550 user for four years and just purchased a Montana 650. After experimenting with it for only a couple of days, I can say that I am very impressed with it.

I decided to buy the Montana versus a Zumo 660/665 (which I had been considering) because of the Montana's superior handling of Tracks, and the support for Activities and Profiles. Even though I am primarily a road rider, I believe the Montana is going to serve me very well.

Study the New Garmin Montana thread, as suggested by EmmBeedee. I read the entire thread before deciding to buy -- it helped tremendously.
  5. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had a Zumo 550 for years and just got a Montana 600 about 10 days ago. After spending two days riding on the roads with both, I'll continue to use the Zumo on my BMW for now. I didn't like the fact that the Montana was changing my routes when I loaded them and I didn't like that it didn't have a detour/recalc button for when you chose to deviate from your route.

I'm going to put my Montana mount on my DR650 and use it for some dual sport rides I've got coming up. I'll make sure the routes I load have lots of shaping and/or via points to make sure the Montana actually loads it right. The detour/recalc problem won't come into play much on those rides.

Both of those problems are not big ones and if the Montana were my only GPS, I'd get used to it quickly. But having them side by side on the bike I found the Zumo easier to use.
  6. FLY

FLY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I admit I have no Montana.IMO try to find secon hand Zumo 550 for good price and together with 60 cx you'll be the winner.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're going to use a GPS for 95% Auto-routing, then stick with the zumo until the Montana Team updates the routing software.

On the other hand, if you want a great all around GPS, the Montana is at the top of the list today and you can just add a few via points when planning your routes and the Montana will route you as you planned.

Cheers,
    SPICY MEATBALL likes this.
  8. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering the purchase of either a Zumo 660 or a Montana right now. Did this issue ever get resolved? Does ti still change your routes, and did they ever add the detour/recalc function the Montana series?
  9. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I sold the Montana and bought a Zumo 590. For a bit, I only had the 550 though. It just suited me better. The 590 adds back some of the Montana nice things, but works for me much better than the Montana ever did. Not bashing the Montana, it worked just fine, just didn't mesh with me.
  10. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks for the reply on that WoodButcher. It's looking more and more like a Zumo will fit my needs better. As much as I love to have a 590, I cannot afford it. Right now I can get a brand new 660 for about $325 since an older model, which looks like a really great deal. I considered the 390, but it costs $200 more than the 660 does right now, and the only feature I see it has that the 660 does not of interest to me is the ability to skip a waypoint while on your route. That does sound like a great feature, but since getting it will cost me an additional $200 over the 660, I think I can live without it.
  11. Photo Boy

Photo Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went from the Zumo 550 to the Zumo 660 because the 660 still uses Mapsource for route planning. In fact when I had trouble using routes created in Basecamp on the 660, the Garmin tech said that the 660 was designed to be used with Mapsource, not Basecamp. That alone is a good enough reason for me to get the 660.
  12. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I have a 550 which is starting to go bad. One important thing with the 550, there is no refurb/repair services for the unit from Garmin anymore. So keep that in mind. The nice thing about the 550 that most people don't know is that it will display Garmin Roads and Rec as well as TOPO features. I use it on my boat as well. But time has come to revamp my setup
  13. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great info here. I'm now also considering using a Tablet as a GPS on my bike. I like the idea of the larger screen for my bad eyes, and also the customizability of it and the software choices, and then there's the fact that it's also a PC at the same time, and all for about the same money as on of these dedicated GPS units. I think I saw a thread here on that before. I'll go have a look and post there so I don't take this one off-topic.
  14. elnonio

elnonio shedding n00bness

Oddometer:
    I loaded TOPO maps on my 660, and it can display those as well. Just unselect the city maps to show the topo maps.
  15. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    how'd this workout? I plan to get a dedicated GPS at some point, but for now am looking for a better app than Google Maps for motorcycle routing...keeping to back/dirt roads in particular.
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    If you check the options on the left to include discontinued models and refurbished, you can find some units (including the 590) at good prices here: http://www.gpscity.com/motorcycle-gps They are members here and for some items will give an ADVRider discount, but you have to contact them directly for that (username GPSCity).

I would encourage buying the newer models because they have more storage and also faster chips that lock onto satellites more quickly and often even when indoors.

Getting back to the original question, I have a Montana 650T that I also have CNNA (the Garmin street map set) on, and a Nav V (which comes with CNNA). I have also owned a Zumo 350LM, which I sold after getting the Nav V. The Montana has more options for customizing things and more elaborate track handling, and no bluetooth. The Zumos (generally) have more elaborate street routing options (like detour) and also have bluetooth, but less elaborate track handling. Both can be used to follow either routes or tracks.

I never wanted bluetooth, but now that I have a set of BT headsets, I pair everything to it and think it is fantastic. YMMV.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  17. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    How does the touchscreen work on the Montanas if you ride with leather gloves?
  18. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Perfectly, unless you're wearing boxing gloves.
    blalor and mslim like this.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Works fine for me with summer gloves. With some winter gloves I need to remember that the contact point will be a seam that's off-center from my finger. Other winter gloves the contact patch is centered.

Overall my Montana with gloves is about as accurate as a bare thumb on a Samsung. General menus and zooming around work fine, but if I want to put a point precisely on an intersection it's best to take off the gloves.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Garmin City Navigator and sometimes Topo 24k for trip planning using Basecamp and Mapsource and am happy with it. I have also loaded land ownership maps from GPSFileExchange so I can avoid private land as much as possible.

I have never planned a trip using Google maps.