Zumo XT changes from Landscape to Portrait on its own.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Groundhog, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Groundhog

Groundhog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Zumo XT just started this today;

It is mounted in the horizontal position on my bike and seems to work fine (proper orientation) around town. However, when I get on the highway it rotates to the "landscape position". All the words are sideways, map, compass, etc. are all rotated clockwise 90 degrees. (It is not the North Up option).

I've previously used it on several trips and several hundred miles and it was just fine.

The "Orientation" was set to "Auto". I've now set it to "Landscape" (which was Garmin support's recommendation) but haven't tried it. However, it should work in auto and has worked in auto??

I'm thinking that one of the gyros has gone haywire and wold like it fixed if so. Could a bad gyro affect tracks or other functions besides the orientation?

Anyone else experienced this?
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Yeah, same has happened with mine. I think it just gets confused sometimes. I set mine to portrait mode and it's been fine since. I never mount it in landscape orientation so I don't need it to rotate.

--mark
  3. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Montana 600 does that. I took it off Auto and set it specifically to what I want. Works fine.
  4. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    If you have had to set your unit to the specific orientation have you seen any other gyro related problems?

I'm happy with setting it to "Landscape" but want to be sure there are no other related problems.

-thanks
  5. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guessing it’s an accelerometer not a gyro and guessing it’s also used in the incident notification feature. It’s supposed to sense when you’re in an accident and notify your wife to go into a panic. So activate that thingy and see if you can set it off without actually having an accident. I wonder if the sensitivity is a little too sensitive and whether a firmware update could fix it.
  6. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    Just before it started doing this it did a minor (?) update. I called Garmin support but the guy didn't have any helpful information.
    I also changed mounts just before that. The mounting angle is probably a bit different than it was before, but not by much.

As for the incident notification I'm not sure I want to test it - I ran into enough stuff when I was younger.
  7. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Firmware updates on earlier Zumo models often cause strange behavior until you do a complete reset.
    On my 590/595 that is done by holding down the power button until it reboots. Worth a try.
  8. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    I'll try the reset - thanks
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think too much is being made of this. In the default Auto orientation mode electronic devices use some kind of sensing device, e.g. accelerometer, to decide whether to use landscape or portrait.

When you are riding a motorcycle over any kind of rough terrain, even on streets, the gps or phone is going to sense it and react accordingly.

As many have suggested the fix is to just force the device to the orientation you want. This is just low end rocket science.
  10. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    It worked as expected for a month+, over several hundred miles and off road. Now is starts acting up and that is on smooth pavement.

Sure, I can force the orientation, but I want to know what caused the sudden change and what else it affects (like incident detection). Has a gyro, accelerometer or something gone bad? I would like to know just out of curiosity if nothing else.

Is wanting to be sure all is working properly asking too much of $500 instrument?
    250senuf likes this.
  11. K_K

K_K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure my reply relates 100% to this specific problem. However, I've been riding a few days on dirt roads with a friend of mine, using the XT and the BMW Nav VI. The following relates to both XT and Nav VI.

As the screen got dirty, (some times the dirt was hardly visible), the GPS started to act like som invisible hand was randomly pushing buttons, making the GS useless due to jumping between menus and different screens. Cleaning the screen with wet wipes (I've seen this before and brought wet wipes along in my tank bag) solved the problem for a while until the screen got dirty again. The cleaning was some times needed several times a day or not at all, depending on the road surface.

If the screen rotation may be activated by screen inputs, this issues may perhaps also be related to dirty screen ?

Why this silly dirt allergy? Up to recently, Garmin have been using resistive touch screens, and you may actually see the screen being depressed when touching it. The XT and Nav VI uses a different, shiny surface screen, and it does not act like it's resistive. In stead it acts like a phone screen, but apparently they have turned up the sensitivity in order to make it work with gloves on. But this also make it sensitive to anything else touching the screen, such as dust and dirt.

I'm not 100% sure that my explanation is correct, but I do know that cleaning the screen makes the difference when the GPS acts up.

my 2c
  12. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    K-K
    That is interesting and good to know for the future. Thanks.

I don't think that is the case here though. I had cleaned the screen with lens cleaner just before it started acting up (after about 5 miles through town). As soon as I got outside of town (still on paved highways) and up to 60-70 mph it started changing orientation. All other functions were acting normally.

A few days later I rode several hundred miles with the orientation set to landscape. As expected there were no problems this way.

I'm thinking of a 3 day trip tomorrow so I'll play with it then. I'll post the results here after that.
  13. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    UPDATE - More related problems...

Yesterday the Zumo started giving me "Incident Detection" alerts about every 3rd time I left a stop light/sign. Luckily I didn't have the call a contact option set or it may have caused a bunch of false alerts there too.

I called Garmin this morning. He said the unit needed replacing. He also said it would take 2 to 3 weeks to evaluate the unit before they would ship a replacement. They want everything back which means I need to remove plastic, tank, etc. to get the power cord off the bike (and put it together again so I can ride, then reverse the operation in 3 weeks to install the new unit).

This is on top of the 3 weeks they forgot to notify me that the original unit was on back-order and the 10 days (for 2 day delivery) to delivery it. So, I'll be without a unit for at least 3 of the 4 months I have owned it. And that is assuming they have it in stock and can deliver it in a reasonable amount of time!

I did finally agree to paying a $260 deposit and they would ship a new one (refurbished??) before they receive the one I have now. He didn't tell me if one was in stock.
  14. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been trying to be a bit optimistic about the XT and Garmin but that is disappointing news. All the waiting, lack of notification and having you tear out the power cord and return everything is outrageous. Add to that you’ll get a refurbished unit? This is a description of how not to manage customer service.

Installing a power cord isn’t the worst thing in the world but soldering wires, reaching up in the fairing getting my arthritic fingers mangled for an hour was no fun. I rather not have to repeat that.
  15. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    Exurban -

First, don't get me wrong, I really like the XT. My previous GPS was a GPSMap 276c, so this is quite an update.

So far my only real concern (other than it not working!) is that I don't have a lot of faith in the longevity of the mount. However Touratech's locking mount ($175 pre-order and scheduled for release soon) appears to solidify Garmin's design.

Second, I don't know if they will send a new unit or a refurbished one (I didn't think to ask). I agree it needs to be a new one - I'll probably call later and ask that and also find out if one is even in stock.

Third, the guy explained (remember he is a phone agent, not an engineer) that since this is a new model they want to be able to test everything when there is a problem. I can understand that. At first I was thinking that they may not get back the cord I have now (but simply return the one sent with the new GPS). But what if a power irregularity has a bearing on the problem? Or is there more inside the little "black box" that is on the power cord other than (what I assume to be) a voltage regulator - like an accelerometer? Probably not, but I don't really know.
  16. Groundhog

Oddometer:
    Just got a notification that a replacement (didn't say "new", just replacement) has been shipped and should be here tomorrow (I live less than 200 miles from Olatha, KS where Garmin is located).