Zumo XT in Nav 6 cradle

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ktompkins, Nov 23, 2020.

1. ktompkins

ktompkins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a used 2019 GSA. (Won’t be able to get it until the spring!) I am thinking of purchasing a Zumo XT. I know the wonder wheel won’t work but does anyone have a solution for mounting it in the Nav 6 cradle with some modifications? I am satisfied to hook it directly to the battery but need it to anchor to the cradle.
    Thanks
  2. Mikaela

Mikaela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

haven’t tried it on the GS Nav housing but look at just changing the mount to the one that comes with the XT. The hole spacing (for the 4 mounting screws’ is a standard spacing so you may get away with that. If the XT is to tall for the GS housing (with XTmount ) you may want to shim the mount out in the housing. I’ve made this work on an RT with the XT and a 1”’ piece of Perspex. No modification needed but I did have to fashion a tool as the XT release is on the top of the mount.
  3. StevieVVet

StevieVVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the BMW GPS is way overpriced, but the way it interfaces with the bike makes it worth it. Changing screens, expanding the map and checking assorted bike functions are great to have. Watch a tutorial and you will appreciate the device more. Quality only hurts once, when you pay for it.
  4. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    +100 :thumb
    Deano747 likes this.
  5. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    What's your goal? Just mounting the XT? Or do you want to use the secure locking aspects of the NAV VI mount?

If you just want to mount the XT, remove the cradle and pick your AMPS mount of choice, the bar is 12mm. I used a Rally Raid mount that was < $40 from Rocky Mountain ATV. Worked perfectly.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/rally-raid-products-billet-crossbar-multi-mount-p

You can pull power from the same GPS connector the NAV VI under the right side plastics and the XT will come on and off with the bike. To do that get

83 30 0 413 585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 611656

at your local BMW dealer.

Here's a couple of pictures. Ignore the XT mount on the right bar, I was still evaluating positions and left it in place. I ran the NAV VI and the XT together for a while before deciding the XT was what I wanted. Yes, there's no wonder wheel interface on the XT. Pretty much everything else about it is better.

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

If you are looking to utilize the locking aspects of the cradle, I think you've got your work cut out for you, the mount to GPS interface is completely different.
    SCPancho, Fosters, Kerrizor and 2 others like this.
  6. ktompkins

ktompkins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your setup looks good.yes, I just want tp mount the XT. I may also look at the idea with spaces but it’s nice to know I have a couple of options. Thanks
  7. dtaski

dtaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
  9. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wunderlinq + smartphone pretty much does the same except 3 times cheaper(presume you already have the phone)
    There are some unfixable issues for Nav6: ghost touch, cannot wake up are pretty common.
    I sold mine after 1 year, they are overpriced and problematic.
    SCPancho and zeeklu like this.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    But the Wunderling isn't a GPS, so now you need to mount a GPS too.
  11. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mean Wunderlinq + smartphone
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Smartphones are not the best GPS', especially on a motorcycle. They don't like heat and water, and generally lack many features of a dedicated GPS.
  13. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Boxer Fan

Oddometer:
    I have been using an iPhone 8 as my GPS for the last 2 years, no major issues but I would have to agree with Jim that a dedicated GPS would be better. I'm contemplating adding the XT to my bike, I would not consider a Nav 6 due to price alone, I also have two riding buddies with Nav 6's and both of them had issues with the screen and the system freezing up.
    Oeths likes this.
  14. S-curvy

S-curvy In my dreams....

Oddometer:
    I have issues with how the Nav-VI interfaces with my Schuberth comms, and am likely to get a WunderLINQ because of that.

Frankly, I am a topo map kinda guy and the Garmin system really has fallen behind the many smartphone options. Even basic stuff like Google Maps and Waze leave Garmin in the dust. And then there’s the constant nagging to upgrade the Garmin package.
  15. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if your eyes are aging at all, the Wonderlinq/Smartphone combo is very hard to see detail on. I sold my WL just as soon as I got to ride with it. The product worked, just not for me.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bit of a one up on this post, but I have a question about adding the repair plug to the zumo XT. Is this added to the garmin harness at the red/black after the voltage regulation?

If so did you just wind up the 2 feet of wire and tuck it under the plastics. Considering the GPS plus is maybe 12 inches from my mounting spot.
  17. Kerrizor

Kerrizor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually just finished up mounting this myself on Friday. I went with the Touratech Locking Mount (https://touratech-usa.com/store/Touratech-Locking-GPS-Mount-Garmin-Zumo-XT).. Removing the Nav VI cradle, I reused the now extraneous plug for it with https://touratech-usa.com/store/Universal-BMW-CAN-BUS-12V-Power-Connector-Cable-GPS-Outlets.. the only issue is it puts out 12V, so I needed the inline regulator from the Zumo XT stock cable (which drops it down to 5V.) I tool the extra and coiled/zip tied it up into the fairing as neat as I could.

There's been some reports that the voltage regulator on that cable from Garmin isn't all that waterproof.. it _should_ be, but heat shrinking it, slathering it in silicone, or even wrapping it in rubber tape probably wouldn't hurt.
  18. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I typically heat shrink my posi taps. So far so good
  19. Kerrizor

Kerrizor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently discovered solder sleeves, and am in love ^_^
    Rick92040 and Deano747 like this.
  20. Lolephant

Lolephant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does that power cable from touratech work with the 2020 BMWs? I have a 2020 XR Looking to get their locking cradle and CANBUS cable for power